World Cup : Group B (Por, Spa, Mor, Irn)

BOF

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Reminded me of that England qualifier against Greece, when Beckham ran the show, and had that last minute free kick to win the game. He knew where he was going to put it, not a shred of doubt. 

Yep I'd have bet my house if I could afford one on him burying that.  Bit of a stupid free kick to give away under the circumstances.  What a game though, and Spain look excellent and drawing this may do them a favour in the long run.  I think they lost the first game when they won it in 2010.

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Reminded me of that England qualifier against Greece, when Beckham ran the show, and had that last minute free kick to win the game. He knew where he was going to put it, not a shred of doubt. 

Oi, the cricket's that way

39 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yep I'd have bet my house if I could afford one on him burying that.  Bit of a stupid free kick to give away under the circumstances.  What a game though, and Spain look excellent and drawing this may do them a favour in the long run.  I think they lost the first game when they won it in 2010.

And as good as that free kick was, and I don't want to take away from it, but the keeper needs to have a word with himself.

Edit: oops, I was talking about the Beckham one

Edited by Stevo985

As for tonight's game, just wonderful.

Just when the early games today had you remembering that there can be a fair few dud games in the world cup, that game pops up to remind you what it's all about.

Brilliant game.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And as good as that free kick was, and I don't want to take away from it, but the keeper needs to have a word with himself.

Edit: oops, I was talking about the Beckham one

Even with this one De Gea left a lot of the goal free to shoot in.  Obviously Ronaldo got the perfect amount of pace and curl on it, maybe I'm just being harsh on goakeepers in general but I find it strange when they stand so far to one side.  Theyre almost entirely relying on the wall.

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Even with this one De Gea left a lot of the goal free to shoot in.  Obviously Ronaldo got the perfect amount of pace and curl on it, maybe I'm just being harsh on goakeepers in general but I find it strange when they stand so far to one side.  Theyre almost entirely relying on the wall.

I played in goal for 20 odd years (obvs at a low level!) and it's just one of those risks you take. 

The wall usually works. Look at Ronaldo. one of the best players in the world, yet that was his 45th free kick attempt at a tournament, and it was the first one he's scored. Most of his attempts hit the wall.
So as a keeper you make sure you have the other half of the goal covered. If you don't do that then you give the taker an easier shot into that side of the goal that isn't guarded by the wall and now is only half guarded by you. And you just have to believe that your wall will do it's job, and attempt to save it if it doesn't. 
A couple of times in a hundred someone will stick it in the corner and you have to hold your hands up.

It's a bit like standing well off your line as a keeper. Schmeichel used to get accused of getting lobbed too often. But his starting position was part of what made him so good, and would have prevented countless numbers of goals.
Yeah a couple of times it meant he got lobbed but it was worth it for all of the times it worked.

It's just playing the odds. 1 time out of 100 you get caught out. But the other 99 times it works.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

Wow what a game.

You could tell that ronaldo free kick was going in, but what a strike... and then nacho.. if anything 3rd choice rb 

Apparently that is ronaldos 61st hat trick!! What a record 

Edited by mikeyp102

Fantastic game of course, but I couldn't helped but be annoyed by team shirted spectators filming the goals on their phones instead of jumping up and down cheering and shouting. Sign of the times I guess.

• Like 2

De Gea cost Spain victory - end of. Guess everyone's entitled to a poor game now and then. People seemto have forgotten he f###ed up for the 2nd goal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KHV said:

Ronaldo always delivers on the biggest of stages. That's why he is better than Messi IMO. 

Agreed. I would have him just slightly above Messi in the all time greats list. 

Fantastic game last night! And 4 more today, what a time to be alive. Hard to see another group game topping that though, it had everything.

Pressure on Messi to step up now. They tend to consistently outdo each other after all!

39 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Is anyone else really looking forward to today's games? 4 potential crackers I reckon.

Cheer on the underdogs with the villa players in their ranks either side of midday. Have a look at the first ever meeting of Peru and Denmark, see how tough Australia's group is going to be for the Aussies in our ranks and settle in for Croatia v Nigeria later on. Erickson, Messi, BB, Jedinak, Griezmann, Sigurdsson, Aguero. Fun packed day :thumb:

Â