World Cup : Group B (Por, Spa, Mor, Irn)

BOF

26 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Cheer on the underdogs with the villa players in their ranks either side of midday. Have a look at the first ever meeting of Peru and Denmark, see how tough Australia's group is going to be for the Aussies in our ranks and settle in for Croatia v Nigeria later on. Erickson, Messi, BB, Jedinak, Griezmann, Sigurdsson, Aguero. Fun packed day :thumb:

No love for Modric, prob best midfielder on planet at moment

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KHV said:

Ronaldo always delivers on the biggest of stages. That's why he is better than Messi IMO. 

This is a bit of a myth though really isn't it?

Messi has scored 28 goals (and 14 assists) in 32 finals. Ronaldo has scored 18 goals in 26 finals.

Suggesting Messi doesn't deliver on the big stage is just false. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Messi hasn't won the Euros though. 

(I've said it before and will say it again: the Messi v Ronaldo debate is tiresome.)

Indeed. But the most tiresome part are the mythical arguments that come out when one of them does well.
I'm pretty sure the "not a big game player" criticism is levelled at both of them depending on which one has currently done well in a big game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yeah, well said, had a bit of a blind spot in any Croatians earlier. Just saw the team sheet. Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Kramaric, Peresic. 

9 hours ago, a m ole said:

Messi doesn’t deliver on the big stage ?

Golden Ball winner last world cup. 4 Champions League wins. 100+ Champions League goals.

They’re both **** brilliant.

Agreed but he should have never won the Golden Ball at the last WC. Even Messi looked embarrassed to receive it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

KDB for me I think, but Modric is pretty under-discussed at that top table. Incredibly consistent performer. 

On 16/06/2018 at 01:24, KHV said:

Ronaldo always delivers on the biggest of stages. That's why he is better than Messi IMO. 

In his previous 3 world cups he had scored 3 goals so before this tournament he hadnt delivered anything

Messi scores all of argentinas competitive goals for 18 months doesnt match ronaldos hattrick and is back to being shit

Messi scores as many goals as Ronaldo and is as creative as David Silva.  That's why for me he is the best player on the planet and I'm as sure as I can be, without having seen many of the past greats, that he is the greatest of all time.  Anyway nobody will change their mind, the arguments are repetitive and sometimes a bit of light trolling from either side.  I hope they both have significant roles in the World Cup and Ronaldo is clearly ahead at the moment.  Messi will likely find more space against Croatia and Nigeria but Argentina's defence is so bad they might even not get out of the group.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Messi scores as many goals as Ronaldo and is as creative as David Silva.  That's why for me he is the best player on the planet and I'm as sure as I can be, without having seen many of the past greats, that he is the greatest of all time.  Anyway nobody will change their mind, the arguments are repetitive and sometimes a bit of light trolling from either side.  I hope they both have significant roles in the World Cup and Ronaldo is clearly ahead at the moment.  Messi will likely find more space against Croatia and Nigeria but Argentina's defence is so bad they might even not get out of the group.

Not forgetting he breaks the lines better than both. He’s clearly the better overall player but Ronaldo is also outstanding and deserves to be talked about amongst the all time greats. I never saw Pele, Maradona, Puskas etc play at their pomp so it’s impossible to compare but for me they aren’t just a bunch of the best players to have played this game we all love. 

For me Ronaldo has an amazing physique, amazing mentality, amazing professionalism to squeeze every drop of talent out that he has got. Messi is just a one off. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

This is why the 'debate' is all a bit hackneyed now though. While Ronaldo was being overlooked for Ballon D'or's it had some relevance maybe.

We should all enjoy them while they are playing. Certainly both can be thrilling on the ball and the reality in the GOAT debate is that they both go on that list. Always hard to compare generations. As much as it is to compare players with different styles, positions and so on.

I did see Maradona in his pomp and he is still, for me, the single best player I have ever seen play the game.

That shouldn't take anything away from Ronaldo or Messi, they are both amazing.

9 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I did see Maradona in his pomp and he is still, for me, the single best player I have ever seen play the game. 

Same here, he could carry both club and country. Every other player in the goat category I can think of was always surrounded by other great players, that's why he edges it for me.

Â