World Cup : Group B (Por, Spa, Mor, Irn)

BOF

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn't that given and then reversed? Therefore the ref was still going with the VAR?

Genuinely don't remember. Might be wrong.

thats the way i remember it too, the ref gave it then VAR overturned it

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Sorry to come across all Wenger, but I've not seen those decisions yet -I was watching Spain. 

My feeling at the moment though is if the ref can see numerous replays from several angles, and can't get the decision right, then VAR isn't the problem. If they can't judge a decision that's clear as daylight, with the benefit of replays from several angles, why trust them more to decide in real time? 

VAR was obviously useful tonight in the Spain game but it was a farce in the Portugal game. Two incidents that weren't given as penalties at the time were reviewed and penalties given, even thought the consensus was that they weren't clear and probably weren't penalties. I feel as though the referee could have felt pressurised to overturn his initial decision. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tegis said:

So, either Ronaldo/Pepe or Suarez will be eliminated in the next round

tenor.gif?itemid=8303310

I hope Pepe and Suarez run into each other and spontaneously combust. 

• Like 1

yeah i think tonight reinforced my original scepticism of VAR that they still need to do something about bad refs, for which the PL has a lot, you can give them all these tools but it wont stop them from being shit

but at the same time i think it will serve to show up bad refs even more, this guy is going home tomorrow he wont get another game

come the latter stages and the final when they've weeded out the poorer refs and we're left with the cream then the controversial decisions should stop

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I think VAR is great. If the refs make bad calls based off it, then that’s on them, not on VAR. 

Yep I just wish they'd had a longer trial before implementing it in the biggest competition in the world.  I also prefer in cricket where it's up to the players to appeal and if it's wrong they lose a review.  It'll make the players put up or shut up.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Should have got a yellow for diving for the penalty too. Should not have been on the pitch after the elbow incident.

Dunno I think the penalty was fair enough.  Yeah he may have looked for it but I can see why it was given.  A forearm to the face should definitely be violent conduct and I hope they can ban him retrospectively.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Didn't think the 'elbow' was that bad too be honest, don't see it as a red.

its the fact that he knew what he was doing that makes it a red for me, that he missed him and there was minimal contact is irrelevant, he eyes him up before coming over the top of him, thats intentional 

• Like 3

Saddened yet again that Portugal go through. So much cynicism, so much arrogance, competition after competition. I’m sure there are plenty who like them, but they are 70’s Leeds plus a bit for me.

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

VAR was obviously useful tonight in the Spain game but it was a farce in the Portugal game. Two incidents that weren't given as penalties at the time were reviewed and penalties given, even thought the consensus was that they weren't clear and probably weren't penalties. I feel as though the referee could have felt pressurised to overturn his initial decision. 

Again that's not really VAR though. VAR has done it's job there.

It's the ref that's reviewed it and then given a wrong decision.

If the ref reviews that and still waves it away then it's been used fine.

I do agree on the ref being pressurised bit though. I do get the feeling they are feeling pressured into overturning decisions (although the vast majority have been correct)

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Should have got a yellow for diving for the penalty too. Should not have been on the pitch after the elbow incident.

FIFA are not going to allow the tournament's most marketable player to be sent off and banned, it simply won't happen.

• Like 1

Â