Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

I tried Quorn's "chicken" nuggets over the weekend (I think they call them Crispy Nuggets so no need for a meltdown, Bicks)

They are amazing.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

On 19/08/2018 at 16:17, bickster said:

I will and it would never be that and the fact that you typed the word means you realised it was a criterion otherwise you must have looked the word up

On 19/08/2018 at 18:38, Stevo985 said:

I've read this a couple of times and I still can't figure out what it means :) 

Bicks will indeed  eat whatever he likes for breakfast , but it would never be Shakshuka ,opting in this instance for 6 cans of 8 Ace for breakfast instead 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Bicks will indeed  eat whatever he likes for breakfast , but it would never be Shakshuka ,opting in this instance for 6 cans of 8 Ace for breakfast instead 

I've read this a couple of times and I still have no idea what it means

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've read this a couple of times and I still have no idea what it means

It means you're not a comedy geordie stereotype and your taste in breakfast meals is less sophisticated than it might be. Shakshouka is yum. lager for brekky less so (a nice sauvignon is much better ?)

• 4 weeks later...

QI seems to have sparked a bit of debate after stating a lot of veg isn't strictly vegan. The issue surrounds the fact that some fruit and veg, like avocados and butternut squash, is very difficult to naturally produce and therefore farming them involves artificially transporting bees to pollenate them, exploiting and thus harming the bees.

The vegan response to this is basically one of accepting reducing harm, which justifies any use of farmed goods - basically the process of being alive, consuming anything at all, is one that causes harm and therefore there has to be an acceptable level of harm that is unavoidable. Vegans reduce harm generally and therefore accept doing something is bet than doing nothing.

But yes, one for the pedants - avocados technically aren't vegan.

I only eat things that aren’t alive, were never alive and never can be alive, can’t move, aren’t organic matter and weren’t made by anything living. 

I’m an inanimatarian.

Edited by Ingram85

On 12/10/2018 at 23:56, Chindie said:

QI seems to have sparked a bit of debate after stating a lot of veg isn't strictly vegan. The issue surrounds the fact that some fruit and veg, like avocados and butternut squash, is very difficult to naturally produce and therefore farming them involves artificially transporting bees to pollenate them, exploiting and thus harming the bees.

The vegan response to this is basically one of accepting reducing harm, which justifies any use of farmed goods - basically the process of being alive, consuming anything at all, is one that causes harm and therefore there has to be an acceptable level of harm that is unavoidable. Vegans reduce harm generally and therefore accept doing something is bet than doing nothing.

But yes, one for the pedants - avocados technically aren't vegan.

Yeah I heard this. It's not all avocados, but yeah there are some that "artificially" use bees.

I think it all comes down to where you draw the line again. A lot of people seem to think catching out a vegetarian or vegan means it's all pointless (see: Bicks). But like you say it's "reducing harm".

If a vegan doesn't use any animal products 99% of the time but occasionally eats something like an avocado that has exploited bees to be made, it doesn't wipe out the 99% of the time they've followed their philosophy.

• Like 1

And again, I come to the point of "Just do what you want, no one gives a shit, vegan or not". 

It's good people want to do something that's good for the environment/sustainability.  Anyone trying to "catch someone out" is an arsehole pedant. 

• Like 3

Well this is where I’m at right now. I went months without eating meat, and found it piss easy. Lost a bit too much weight for my liking, as I’m already lean, and don’t put weight on easy. I’ve started eating meat again the other month. I set myself rules though, where I never eat meat in the house, and will only have it if I go out for a meal, or go on holiday. Felt a little bit bad for doing it, but compared to what I used to put away before, it’s a lot less. 

I'm a veggie/vegan the vast majority of the time anyway.

The only times I'll eat meat (and it's never certain) is for half an hour for breakfast, lunch and dinner (or dinner and tea). 

But outside of those times, I refuse to consume any sort of animal product.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm a veggie/vegan the vast majority of the time anyway.

The only times I'll eat meat (and it's never certain) is for half an hour for breakfast, lunch and dinner (or dinner and tea). 

But outside of those times, I refuse to consume any sort of animal product.  

part timer, me I have an intravenous meat drip next to my desk in work

5 hours ago, bickster said:

part timer, me I have an intravenous meat drip next to my desk in work

Nothing like a nice meat injection is there bicks?

LateSpecificHalibut-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 1

Â