18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

45 minutes ago, hippo said:

All the headlines are about an incredible sporting gesture by leeds...in which they surrendered automatic promotion.

Indeed. Whether by accident or design, ( I think he knew it was the better option ) his gesture took heat off them, gave us less of a “ wronged” mentality if we meet them, and has deflected from them only drawing when they “ needed” ( I know it’s only theory) a Win and have actually collapsed. 7 Points from their last 6 games.

7 Points from their last 6 games.

Busted flush.

• Like 2

In a way I would have preferred we werent given the goal. The injustice would have been great motivation and Leeds would have been even more hated. 

But the unbeaten run probably more important.  

Anyone know if they using VAR in the final?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I thought they looked slightly better than us yes.

I also think Bielsa is a much better tactician than Smith and that might give them the edge.

You always make out they're great. They've been average to shite for months now. Most of their so called pressing is just fannying about across the back 4 or midfield. To top it off they're dirty cheating bastards. If we'd been properly up for it we would have beat them and if we meet them again, we will.

Sheffield United, Norwich and your own team deserve more respect to be honest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Sadly they are a good team, i think they are better than us.

Bielsa is class, but in a one off game anything can happen.

Well if you're as right as you've been this year, we should go up 88-0.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anyone know if they using VAR in the final?

Whilst VAR technology is already available at Wembley, the EFL have stated it will not be utilised because it wasn’t in use for the EFL games prior to the playoff final(s).  EFL logic at its finest!

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Until the sending off I thought we edged it. Yes they had all the ball but you expect that away from home against a possession based team. We created the better chances.

it would be a different game at Wembley but let’s beat Albion first. 

I would add that if Whelan hadn't been rested he would have broken up much more of their play and we would have had more of the middle of the park.  McGinn and Grealish were not in the game as much as they would if Whelan was playing (from the start with 11 men). 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Do we know what time on the Saturday our fixture will be? 

I believe who plays the earlier of the two Saturday kick-off times (and therefore who plays the second leg on the following Tuesday instead of Wednesday) will be decided by the EFL (with input from the police) once the playoff games are known.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brommy said:

Whilst VAR technology is already available at Wembley, the EFL have stated it will not be utilised because it wasn’t in use for the EFL games prior to the playoff final(s).  EFL logic at its finest!

Probably one of the most important games in world football considering the money at stake but they won’t use VAR when it’s available to them.  Ridiculous.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The more I watch it back the more I think their goal shouldn’t have been wiped off. It was legit if onside. 

We need to learn from this and be more alert in the future.

Agreed, we got very lucky. Never assume your opponents will be sportsmen and play to the whistle no matter what. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

FFS. Be more alert to a player signalling he's going to put the ball out then playing in forwards on the sly. 

I've been watching foot the ball for 40 years and never seen it happen before.

Thanks for the warning though.  As a fan I will in future be more alert in case Eric Cantona tries to drop kick me in the stands.  Can't believe I've been so careless down the years. 

It was a Palace fan so you can almost forgive Cantona for that.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The more I watch it back the more I think their goal shouldn’t have been wiped off. It was legit if onside. 

We need to learn from this and be more alert in the future.

We probably will be more alert in the future but I think our team reacted the same (before and after their goal) as 95% of European football teams would. Fortunately their goal was nullified and Bamford’s subsequent cheating didn’t cost us a defeat. Hopefully the EFL will rescind our red and El Ghazi can contribute to our play-off efforts.

I’m not sure whether an EFL ban for Bamford will help or hinder Leeds. Perhaps “Cheat! Cheat!’ ringing in his ears from opposition fans will help them feel like they are a man short in the play-offs?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndyC said:

Agreed, we got very lucky. Never assume your opponents will be sportsmen and play to the whistle no matter what. 

It was never about that for me. What made me angry was the fact that we 10 minutes earlier had kicked the ball out for an injured LU player after their players bitched their head off. I guess I just expected some decent conduct where they applied the same reasoning and moral. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

FFS. Be more alert to a player signalling he's going to put the ball out then playing in forwards on the sly. 

I've been watching foot the ball for 40 years and never seen it happen before.

Thanks for the warning though.  As a fan I will in future be more alert in case Eric Cantona tries to drop kick me in the stands.  Can't believe I've been so careless down the years. 

Did he though? I’m not seeing that. He just gets the ball and then passes it. Our players are trying to stop Klitch after that point. He still has a lot to do. 

Anyway why you getting irate with me? We’re on the same side mate. :)

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It was never about that for me. What made me angry was the fact that we 10 minutes earlier had kicked the ball out for an injured LU player after their players bitched their head off. I guess I just expected some decent conduct where they applied the same reasoning and moral. 

We should know better to expect that from dirty Leeds.

11 minutes ago, brommy said:

We probably will be more alert in the future but I think our team reacted the same (before and after their goal) as 95% of European football teams would. Fortunately their goal was nullified and Bamford’s subsequent cheating didn’t cost us a defeat. Hopefully the EFL will rescind our red and El Ghazi can contribute to our play-off efforts.

I’m not sure whether an EFL ban for Bamford will help or hinder Leeds. Perhaps “Cheat! Cheat!’ ringing in his ears from opposition fans will help them feel like they are a man short in the play-offs?

Yeah our reaction was totally justified especially in the heat of the moment. There’s ways of doing things. 

I’m hearing Leeds fans feel they were robbed. Will the players feel the same way? Will this whole sorry incident have any bearing on a game if we meet again. 

Who knows?