18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

I thought Leeds were decent in the sense that they played through our midfield quite comfortably at times and created a lot of space on the edge of our box. I'd expect Whelo to marshall that space better than Hourihane did but on a big Wembley pitch who knows. 

The other thing their play did was force Grealish to track back in earnest a lot more than they usually do. I thought this showed in the attacking third as neither had quite the zip they usually do though partly that could be down to better defending from the opposition. 

All that said they only created half chances, our CBs had Bamford in their pocket but it was enough half chances where if it was Villa I'd have expected us to put one away. All in all I'd back us to beat them but they are no doubt more of a test than Derby, Boro and Boggies. 

I completely agree, what they do they do well. But I definitely think we’re at least their match. Full strength I think they’d struggle with us the way they’re playing now. On the size of the Wembley pitch. All pitches are more or less the same size, I think the difference between the smallest pitch and the largest is 5 metres so nothing drastic. Wembley is the same size as 15 of the 20 prem teams, it just looks bigger because of the track around it.

That was Leeds’ best team, in their own back yard, and they looked rattled on and off the pitch. More injuries and surely a suspension for their only fit striker (Bamford) as well. They are going at 100mph and as soon as the pressure is back on that is going to blow up in their face ..... just like their promotion push.

We on the other hand rested Whelan and Tammy and have far more squad depth to handle any injuries and suspensions that may come during the semis. Even jack was only at 50%.

I’m far more worried about taking on the baggies with the second leg at their place than taking on dirty Leeds again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

That was Leeds’ best team, in their own back yard, and they looked rattled on and off the pitch. More injuries and surely a suspension for their only fit striker (Bamford) as well. They are going at 100mph and as soon as the pressure is back on that is going to blow up in their face ..... just like their promotion push.

We on the other hand rested Whelan and Tammy and have far more squad depth to handle any injuries and suspensions that may come during the semis. Even jack was only at 50%.

I’m far more worried about taking on the baggies with the second leg at their place than taking on dirty Leeds again. 

Well I'd say roofe is a big miss for them as was tanny for us. We have come along way since December when they beat us. They couldn't take it that we were as good as them yesterday in their own back yard. 

If we get to final and meet them and have 30k of our wild fans supporting us we will avenge what they tried to do to us. 

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

They had Douglas, Alioski and Roofe out. 3 starters I think they might be out for the rest of the season. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

we get to final and meet them and have 30k of our wild fans supporting us we will avenge what they tried to do to us

Being as they are the only big club in the city they have all types of supporters. it wouldn’t suprise me if there were many incidents in a final. 

You have to remember their potential fan base haven’t got a Blues equivalent to follow.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Being as they are the only big club in the city they have all types of supporters. it wouldn’t suprise me if there were many incidents in a final. 

You have to remember their potential fan base haven’t got a Blues equivalent to follow.

Blose only have about ten fans though. The rest are in prison. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They had Douglas, Alioski and Roofe out. 3 starters I think they might be out for the rest of the season. 

My point was that they picked their current fully fit XI  - they didn’t rest anyone and don’t have a raft of players coming back from injury either. 

Would not be surprised in the least if Boro or Derby do them. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, McgrathsDodgyKnee said:

Hi guys .. and gals ... first time post after spending a long time watching afar and enjoying. 

I think this time last year many of us were spending time saying we hoped Fulham would get promoted automatically so we avoided them in the play offs. This year I honestly truly do not feel that about any team we could face as long as we turn up which I think we will. 

Baggies over 2 legs don’t frighten me but any team with Gayle in it poses a threat. Derby don’t bother me at all and Leeds, well yesterday showed we can handle them definitely over 2 legs. If it was Middlesbrough the worst thing that would bother me is the law of averages catching up with us after the 2 spankings they’ve had off us this year. 

Either way when, not if, we go up this year it will rank with anything we’ve done success wise. 

Cant wait !!! 

I don’t know, we’ve been thumping Blues since about 2005 😂

• Haha 1

The one disadvantage as Paul merson says for Leeds is they still don't know who they are facing. Us and the Boggies do and have for weeks. 

Boggies are terrible defensively we have got better since we last played them. Yes they score goals but if we take the game to them I really do think we are capable of winning. 

Nedd to have some kind of advantage first leg though at villa Park. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The one disadvantage as Paul merson says for Leeds is they still don't know who they are facing. Us and the Boggies do and have for weeks. 

Boggies are terrible defensively we have got better since we last played them. Yes they score goals but if we take the game to them I really do think we are capable of winning. 

Nedd to have some kind of advantage first leg though at villa Park. 

I doubt it’s that much of a disadvantage. They still have a good week to prepare if goes to last day. 

They’ll probably know by tomorrow anyway. 

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How you work that one out? They couldn't get close to us yesterday on their own turf in a hostile environment. They had to resort to cheating to score and we also had ten men for twenty minutes yet we still were quite comfortable. 

I don't fear them as with Tammy we are a different animal. 

'They couldn't get close to us'. They were the better team for the majority of the game. I also wouldn't go as far as to say we were 'comfortable' in the last twenty minutes. Unless comfortable for you is backs to the walls and relieving pressure by hoofing it up to the pacey Jedinak...
I agree we will be stronger with Tammy back but I'm sure they will be stronger with Roofe back for them.

I think people on here are getting a little carried away. We won 10 games in a row, we played well, Smith is doing an excellent job. There is however, a reason we havent beaten any of the teams above us this year yet and that is because they are good sides. Leeds over two legs will be extremely tough and I'd be inclined to suggest at this moment in time that they would be favourites. They're a very good side.

Albion, I don't fear them. If you keep Gayle quiet, I think you win the tie. I really really hope we don't play Leeds in the semi's or the final tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

'They couldn't get close to us'. They were the better team for the majority of the game. I also wouldn't go as far as to say we were 'comfortable' in the last twenty minutes. Unless comfortable for you is backs to the walls and relieving pressure by hoofing it up to the pacey Jedinak...
I agree we will be stronger with Tammy back but I'm sure they will be stronger with Roofe back for them.

I think people on here are getting a little carried away. We won 10 games in a row, we played well, Smith is doing an excellent job. There is however, a reason we havent beaten any of the teams above us this year yet and that is because they are good sides. Leeds over two legs will be extremely tough and I'd be inclined to suggest at this moment in time that they would be favourites. They're a very good side.

Albion, I don't fear them. If you keep Gayle quiet, I think you win the tie. I really really hope we don't play Leeds in the semi's or the final tbh. 

Mate you aware for twenty minutes w ehad ten men and they struggled to create much. Of that was under Bruce we would have folded liek we did every time we went down to ten men. 

Not getting carried away at all just saying we don't need to fear Leeds anymore. They should fear us and see what we are capable of. I don't even think we played that well on weekend but we were comfortable on their turf. 

I agree about your point about albion. Keeping him and rodriguez quiet we will do well. Barry vs mcginn in cm? Only one winner there for me if mcginn keeps his head. 

11 hours ago, Hornso said:

I don't think I can handle the playoffs again.

I'm dreading them, and for my own sanity I'm just assuming we'll make a balls of it.  That way I avoid any heart attacks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm dreading them, and for my own sanity I'm just assuming we'll make a balls of it.  That way I avoid any heart attacks.

Ditto, the only way to deal with such consistent disappointment over the years is to try and become dead inside. Resistant to any kind of hope. As hard as I try it never works though. Nothing gives me very close heart attacks like the Villa. Even Sunday a dead rubber and it was just a stressful as usual. 

Debating whether I should take my 7 year old daughter to Wembley if we get there. It'd be an amazing experience for and she's desperate to go after going to 7 games this year including her first away game. I'm less worried about the prospect of lairy, possibly fighty Villa fans than I am about her seeing the utter devastation in my face if it doesn't all go perfectly.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1