18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

11 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Not a dig at now and massive credit to them, very entertaining and have stayed the course when i thought they would fall away but they essentially play one centre back in defence when they are going forward. They'll get walloped next season if they try to play like they have been. Have to tailor it somewhat and be mindful of what they are coming up against .

I hate this mindset. You'll get walloped playing a more 'pragmatic' style too a la Huddersfield, Brighton and Cardiff. Don't change a thing. Pocket that 100m tv deal. The bottom half of the PL is poor, you're always in with a shout. If worse comes to worst, you're back in the same situation you were a season ago, except with 100 million in the bank.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wilder manager of the year without a doubt. Two promotions in 3 seasons. Amazing achievement. 

He also did a great job at Northampton. Stopped them going out of the league and then got them up from league 2 when they had major off the field issues.

Fully deserves his chance in the premier league.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I hate this mindset. You'll get walloped playing a more 'pragmatic' style too a la Huddersfield, Brighton and Cardiff. Don't change a thing. Pocket that 100m tv deal. The bottom half of the PL is poor, you're always in with a shout. If worse comes to worst, you're back in the same situation you were a season ago, except with 100 million in the bank.

As a newly promoted team priority should always be win your games at home. I wouldn't changee a thing, be positive, get some momentum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I agree with this, which I know is at odds with what I posted, but I don’t think their squad is good enough to stay up in the Premier League.

• Like 1

Whilst I have a healthy respect for Leeds and think they can be an amazing team on their day, I'm delighted Sheffield United have basically confirmed 2nd tonight.

Should we get to a final I'd prefer to be playing Leeds than a team that's smashed 7 past us this season and have played us off the pitch for the best part of 170minutes of the two games!

But, being a Villa fan, I'm always half expecting us to mess up any opportunity so am always slightly pessimistic about any hopes we may have in semi-final or finals! Makes me feel uneasy when fans assume we're in the final already, it's a whole different ballgame when the playoffs start...

• Like 2

Just now, chappy said:

Can see Sheffield United ‘doing a Fulham’ unless they change their style of play.

it's a bit of both. They obviously need to add more quality and experience in key positions but at same time important not to just scrap your "identity."

Wolves have done o.k continuing to play their style in premier league and even Cardiff have been way more competitive than I thought they'd be in premier league with their in your face football, would've had them relegated as same time as Huddersfield after watching them last year.

1 minute ago, chappy said:

I agree with this, which I know is at odds with what I posted, but I don’t think their squad is good enough to stay up in the Premier League.

Maybe not but team spirit can get you 5-10 points over a season and it's clear the Sheffield United squad is very tight knit with how they play on the pitch.

Get in 5-6 as Fulham have done who don't get things and just use the club as premier league stepping stone and that can really disrupt things.

Think they'll stick to what they know.

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Whilst I have a healthy respect for Leeds and think they can be an amazing team on their day, I'm delighted Sheffield United have basically confirmed 2nd tonight.

Should we get to a final I'd prefer to be playing Leeds than a team that's smashed 7 past us this season and have played us off the pitch for the best part of 170minutes of the two games!

But, being a Villa fan, I'm always half expecting us to mess up any opportunity so am always slightly pessimistic about any hopes we may have in semi-final or finals! Makes me feel uneasy when fans assume we're in the final already, it's a whole different ballgame when the playoffs start...

Derby or Boro is what we want in the play off final if we get there.

Aggregate score of 13-0 this season and neither got close to just Grealish in all 4 games.

5 minutes ago, chappy said:

Look at Cardiff. A worse squad full of cloggers. Still in with a shout going into the last 2 weeks (although losing to Fulham today was devastating).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Also well done Enda Stevens. Had a great season for Sheff Utd.

My Blades supporter mate is baffled that we didn't rate him, says he's been brilliant for them. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Good luck to Sheffield, they are an absolute joy to watch, not only do they play fast attacking football, they press, they win 50-50s, they fight for each and they run teams ragged.

A perfect example of how you get out of this division without throwing the club to the brink of implosion.

And their manager and captain are both lifelong fans of the club. Who does that remind you of? 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

What mindset ? I said they have been excellent and they have been. My point is that they will need to tailor how they play to a degree. They play with a back 3 and more often than not the CB of that trio is the only one at home when they go forward. It's no mindset mate. They'll get destroyed playing with 2 of a back 3 who attack so much. In the top league they'll pay for it when they lose the ball. Championship players dither on it. They'll get hurt if they lose it next season . They play fantastic football though. Well done to them.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

What mindset ? I said they have been excellent and they have been. My point is that they will need to tailor how they play to a degree. They play with a back 3 and more often than not the CB of that trio is the only one at home when they go forward. It's no mindset mate. They'll get destroyed playing with 2 of a back 3 who attack so much. In the top league they'll pay for it when they lose the ball. Championship players dither on it. They'll get hurt if they lose it next season . They play fantastic football though. Well done to them.

I wasn't talking about you, but the mindset that some promoted teams take after going up. Completely change everything that got them up in the first place. The PL is shit. If Huddersfield stayed up last season, anybody can.