18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Wolves also have a particular way of playing. Mugged it with teams that sit back this season, will need to change if they wanna move on next season, but I doubt they will,  Nuno thinks he's too good!

They've very good players though. It helps. Systems and formations are all well and good with teams who are greater than the sum of their parts, but at the top level it usually breaks down. Wolves will be ok i think. Got good quality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

They've very good players though. It helps. Systems and formations are all well and good with teams who are greater than the sum of their parts, but at the top level it usually breaks down. Wolves will be ok i think. Got good quality.

Not saying they will come down, but need to change, Huddersfield did the double on them this season, speaks volumes.

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Actually think Norwich will struggle a fair bit in the premier league. Got some exciting attacking players but they are too easy to score against even at this level. Conceded 56 goals compared to 39 for Sheffield United.

Don't think they're that good at all. They've won 15+ points after the 85th minute this season. Felt like refs just played until they scored half the time.

If we'd have played them two or three games later than we did, we'd have beat them. 2-1 we lost when Dean was still drilling the players into passing the ball.

Sheff U and Leeds have both impressed me much more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Wolves also have a particular way of playing. Mugged it with teams that sit back this season, will need to change if they wanna move on next season, but I doubt they will,  Nuno thinks he's too good!

Aren't they 7th in the Premier League, and comfortably seeing off clubs?

This makes no sense.

I assume all they will do is get even BETTER at what they do currently and get even better players.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Norwich up then.

Sheff Utd fans are cheering us on for a couple of games. They obviously need us to take points off Leeds to mathematically confirm their promotion tomorrow. They also need us to beat Norwich next week if they can beat Stoke away to claim the title on GD.

Leeds hoping Stoke can do them a favour against Sheff Utd while racking up LOTS of goals against us and Ipswich. (swing with Sheff Utd needs to be 14). Pressure is on them tomorrow still. If Leeds lose their last 2 Baggies could still finish 3rd if they beat Derby. Unlikely even if we win tomorrow with their last game at Ipswich.

We could steal 4th with 2 wins and Derby beating WBA. We still need 2 points to guarantee 5th.

Derby need 4 points from Swansea and WBA to seal 6th. Boro need to beat Rotherham and hope Derby slip up. Bristol City had a bad day today.

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Norwich up then.

Sheff Utd fans are cheering us on for a couple of games. They obviously need us to take points off Leeds to mathematically confirm their promotion tomorrow. They also need us to beat Norwich next week if they can beat Stoke away to claim the title on GD.

Leeds hoping Stoke can do them a favour against Sheff Utd while racking up LOTS of goals against us and Ipswich. (swing with Sheff Utd needs to be 14). Pressure is on them tomorrow still. If Leeds lose their last 2 Baggies could still finish 3rd if they beat Derby. Unlikely even if we win tomorrow with their last game at Ipswich.

We could steal 4th with 2 wins and Derby beating WBA. We still need 2 points to guarantee 5th.

Derby need 4 points from Swansea and WBA to seal 6th. Boro need to beat Rotherham and hope Derby slip up. Bristol City had a bad day today.

If we draw tomorrow we can’t finish 4th so it’s win or bust for 4th.

alli know is if it’s at villa park first leg we need to be winning first leg as I can’t see us winning there.

8 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Norwich up then.

Be nuts if we end up playing Leeds if they finish 4th. Think they'll beat ipswich anyway even if they lose to us tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

alli know is if it’s at villa park first leg we need to be winning first leg as I can’t see us winning there.

The first leg will be the 5.30 kick off on the Saturday yes ? Villa park will be rocking for that. I guess you'd want to be away first leg but maybe playing on an even keel at home first leg will make us be more positive and attack more. Thought we were brutal second leg at home to boro last season. Yes, different manager but we defended a 1 goal lead from minute one at our own place .

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I couldn’t care less about 4th tbh, doesn’t change who we get in the playoffs and it’s not worth millions per place like the premier league.

What counts is we made the playoffs. Nobody will remember what position we finished whether we go up or not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Not saying they will come down, but need to change, Huddersfield did the double on them this season, speaks volumes.

Not really. They've also have 12 points from their 6 games against Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal. One of the few teams to get more than 0 points out of City. And they beat Liverpool and United in the cup. They can play. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why not? We already should have beaten them once at their ground.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yeah we shouldn't fear anyone. Baggies are obviously full of goals and a dangerous proposition but beatable. Leeds are solid. Boro and Derby haven't had much fun against us this year. They'll all be wary of us.

Boro and Derby are non-entities

The promoted team will be one of us, Baggies, or Leeds.

• Like 2

We are damn good home AND away. We need to fear no one at either home or away, so in my opinion final position in the playoffs is not as important as keeping our best players injury and card free.

So let's do the sensible thing and rest Grealish and McGinn and Mings.

• Like 1