18/19 Race for Promotion

I'd probably rather go out in the semis than have another gut-wrenching final defeat again, I don't think I've ever been so despondent traipsing out of Wembley in May after that pathetic 1-0 loss in which we never turned up, pure sadness.

Just now, villaglint said:

Ditto, the only way to deal with such consistent disappointment over the years is to try and become dead inside. Resistant to any kind of hope. As hard as I try it never works though. Nothing gives me very close heart attacks like the Villa. Even Sunday a dead rubber and it was just a stressful as usual. 

Debating whether I should take my 7 year old daughter to Wembley if we get there. It'd be an amazing experience for and she's desperate to go after going to 7 games this year including her first away game. I'm less worried about the prospect of lairy, possibly fighty Villa fans than I am about her seeing the utter devastation in my face if it doesn't all go perfectly.  

Yep, I'll still hope.  Can't help that.  I'll hope with my hands covering my face.  I'll hope with the assumption that it's in vain.  Bring your daughter though.  A fantastic day out regardless.

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

'They couldn't get close to us'. They were the better team for the majority of the game. 

Do not confuse 'having most of the posession' with 'being the better team'. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Ditto, the only way to deal with such consistent disappointment over the years is to try and become dead inside. Resistant to any kind of hope. As hard as I try it never works though. Nothing gives me very close heart attacks like the Villa. Even Sunday a dead rubber and it was just a stressful as usual. 

Debating whether I should take my 7 year old daughter to Wembley if we get there. It'd be an amazing experience for and she's desperate to go after going to 7 games this year including her first away game. I'm less worried about the prospect of lairy, possibly fighty Villa fans than I am about her seeing the utter devastation in my face if it doesn't all go perfectly.  

This is exactly how I'm getting (and I'm only 25 years old), the more I'm appearing calm and carefree on the outside at matches and when watching (sort of a defence mechanism to myself) the desire to see us successful and fighting at the top end of the Premier League is getting more desperate with each passing season down in the Championship. As sad as it may seem to non-Villa or non-football fans, the feelings I experience when watching Aston Villa are indescribable to anything else in my life.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The one disadvantage as Paul merson says for Leeds is they still don't know who they are facing. Us and the Boggies do and have for weeks. 

Boggies are terrible defensively we have got better since we last played them. Yes they score goals but if we take the game to them I really do think we are capable of winning. 

Nedd to have some kind of advantage first leg though at villa Park. 

Not true.

If the Baggies Win their last game and Leeds lose, Albion get 3rd and we play Leeds. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate you aware for twenty minutes w ehad ten men and they struggled to create much. Of that was under Bruce we would have folded liek we did every time we went down to ten men. 

Not getting carried away at all just saying we don't need to fear Leeds anymore. They should fear us and see what we are capable of. I don't even think we played that well on weekend but we were comfortable on their turf. 

I agree about your point about albion. Keeping him and rodriguez quiet we will do well. Barry vs mcginn in cm? Only one winner there for me if mcginn keeps his head. 

I think Barry is injured for them. Which is good news because even though he is old, he was their best player when we played them at their place. 

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not. I think they were the better team. If they had a capable striker then they would have hurt us more. If Roofe is back for the playoffs, they will be a tough, tough opponent. 

I've no idea if we'll go up, but IF Leeds were to do it, I don't think any neutral would argue after the season they've had that they don't deserve it. IF we go up, it'll be quite something given the entire season we've had. 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The one disadvantage as Paul merson says for Leeds is they still don't know who they are facing. Us and the Boggies do and have for weeks. 

Boggies are terrible defensively we have got better since we last played them. Yes they score goals but if we take the game to them I really do think we are capable of winning. 

Nedd to have some kind of advantage first leg though at villa Park. 

Sure Bielsa has dossiers on every club from his spies

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I've no idea if we'll go up, but IF Leeds were to do it, I don't think any neutral would argue after the season they've had that they don't deserve it. IF we go up, it'll be quite something given the entire season we've had. 

What have they done to deserve it? They threw away a healthy lead and are closer to 4th than 2nd

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What have they done to deserve it? They threw away a healthy lead and are closer to 4th than 2nd

Well 'a neutral' might say they've won more games and have more points than anyone else bar the top 2.  Doesn't mean they're likeable. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm not. I think they were the better team. If they had a capable striker then they would have hurt us more. If Roofe is back for the playoffs, they will be a tough, tough opponent. 

We had the better chances. Easily. They just played it around the back for ages. It was only after they conned us down to 10 men that they had any meaningful chances and even then, I reckon they could be still playing now without scoring a legitimate goal.

I will say they the got a lot of joy in front of our defence. Namely because: a: Hourihane is not a DM and b: We were strolling around, which tells me that they had been told to take it easy.

Leeds tried to kick us out of it, then cheat us out of it. Better team? Nah. Not for me.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well 'a neutral' might say they've won more games and have more points than anyone else bar the top 2.  Doesn't mean they're likeable. 

I am sure the clubs spied on or who were outraged in January when that news broke will be happy for them 🤔😉

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

This made me laugh so hard partly because of how utterly depressing it sounds and because it's so true. Cheers mate. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, wedge said:

I'd probably rather go out in the semis than have another gut-wrenching final defeat again, I don't think I've ever been so despondent traipsing out of Wembley in May after that pathetic 1-0 loss in which we never turned up, pure sadness.

to the baggies?

no **** way!!

after the game at the weekend im not sure if we can have a more testing playoffs than baggies in the semis leeds in the final, it wont get tougher than that, boro and Fulham looks easy in comparison

I really hope we go up. There are things about the Championship I'd love to be away from: the appalling refereeing standards, the bizarre EFL decisions, the Pulis/Bruce gang of dinosaurs and scum like SHA.

But at the same time, I've enjoyed it. We're competitive in games, we've got the right man in charge, the excitement of the playoffs and the league is full of surprises - the top 6 isn't set in the way it is in the PL. Very few would've backed Blades and Norwich to go up directly - most said it would be Stoke and Albion. 

I look at Sheff U who sold their best player (Brooks), Norwich who sold their best player (Maddison), and they both invested that money wisely. I know if we don't go up Jack will go, and Villa fans will wish him the very best. He'll go down as a club great. But I don't feel like his departure will be a disaster for us (as I once did). Smith is rebuilding the club, inside and out, and I strongly believe if we don't go up in the playoffs this time around, we'll push for the title next season. 

• Like 4

Bamford will surely have a case to answer for his actions on sunday and its not giving them much time for him to appeal (I know) if he feels he should before the game on sunday. Surely they wouldnt dish out a 2 game ban which would cover both legs of the play-off semi?

We could easily be facing Leeds in the semi if they lose on the last day and WBA win. Oh how I would love to see them rock up at VP next Saturday and get absolutely rattled. Would much rather play them over 2 legs than at Wembley.

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Indeed, the back 4 were extremely comfortable until the sending off, and largely comfortable afterwards.