Firesales

AshVilla

Chester would almost be harder to replace than Jack.

We will start next season (probably) with a number of established experienced midfield players.  

With Terry and presumably Samba gone, we sell Chester than we need an entire new Central defensive unit PLUS backup.

Unless Jedi and Elphick are the plan.  Shudders.

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Do you reckon we could get a fee for Mile and a fee for Jedinak?

I'm hoping other clubs aren't as keen eyed as you and we can double our sales!

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I can see Jedinak going back to Aus, our even the middle east. Whelan no idea who'd take him given his wages. Definitely the right thing to transfer list them. Elmo as well, he's the wrong side of 30 and on a big wage.

Ive no idea how or why Elmohamady would cost so much. He is dreadful

11 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd imagine £10m-£12m would do it. I heard the bid was in the region of £8m.

Chester would be an absolute bargain even at 12m. It’s not my money but I’d be asking closer to 15m for him.

Consistently Villa’s best player this season.

9 hours ago, striker said:

Chester would be an absolute bargain even at 12m. It’s not my money but I’d be asking closer to 15m for him.

Consistently Villa’s best player this season.

I wouldn't go that far tbh. You're right that he's vital for us, but £12m is absolutely a fair price. Not as though he was a real stand out last time he was in the premier league. He'd be a solid bottom half premier league centre half so £12m is about right. Although you may have a point when you look at the fees Kevin Wimmer has gone for.

First person id let go is jedinak.  I like him but he is on high wages and coming to the end.  I think there woukd be interest in him. Then I'd get rid of whelan if possible. 

If grealish gets a bid of up to 40m we should sell. Great bit of business for us that would be.

Got to keep the likes of Chester and kodjia., adomah

When I saw Hogan after the Derby game I overheard him and he was fuming why he couldnt get a game didnt know what him and Henry (Lansbury) have to do to get a game so guess those 2 will want a move

Edited by midian

17 minutes ago, midian said:

When I saw Hogan after the Derby game I overheard him and he was fuming why he couldnt get a game didnt know what him and Henry (Lansbury) have to do to get a game so guess those 2 will want a move

If not they can stay and will be likely to get as many games as they want.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I wouldn't go that far tbh. You're right that he's vital for us, but £12m is absolutely a fair price. Not as though he was a real stand out last time he was in the premier league. He'd be a solid bottom half premier league centre half so £12m is about right. Although you may have a point when you look at the fees Kevin Wimmer has gone for.

You have to bear in mind the idiot Pulis played him at full back or not at all in his last Prem season- fine player def worth 12m

57 minutes ago, midian said:

Be less shit?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ive no idea how or why Elmohamady would cost so much. He is dreadful

If you think Elmo who was probably one of our most consistent players last season is ‘dreadful’.  You are really going to hate next season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

First person id let go is jedinak.  I like him but he is on high wages and coming to the end.  I think there woukd be interest in him. Then I'd get rid of whelan if possible. 

If grealish gets a bid of up to 40m we should sell. Great bit of business for us that would be.

Got to keep the likes of Chester and kodjia., adomah

I wonder if we will have enough players to field a team next season.

I predict Grealish will got for 20m. Chester for 8m. Kodija maybe for 10m 

Adomah will stay. 

2 hours ago, midian said:

If Hogan gets regular games we are done for.

18 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wonder if we will have enough players to field a team next season.

I predict Grealish will got for 20m. Chester for 8m. Kodija maybe for 10m 

Adomah will stay. 

If we get rid of the deadwood we will still have near enough a first team that includes youth.

Maybe room for 3 or 4 loans.

This does not include selling Jedinak, Grealish, Adomah, Kodja or Chester.

Depends how smart the manager/CEO is in offloading the deadwood FIRST and not our prized assets for peanuts & buttons.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Gone: Terry, Johnstone, Tuanzebe, Samba, Hutton, Agbonlahor, Snodgrass, Onomah, Grabban, Bunn, Amavi freeing up alot of wages.

Sold: Gollini. £3.8m

Sell: Richards, Elphick, De Laet, McCormack, Tshibola, Gil, Lyden, Gardner, Whelan, Lansbury, Hogan potenitally bringing in a further £15m-£20m and freeing up huge wages.

Would leave us with:  Steer, Bree, Elmo, Chester, Taylor, Bjarnasson, Grealish, Jedinak, Hourihane, Green, Adomah, Kodja, Davis and needing to sign/loan/use youth in 11/12 players over 6 positions.

Youth to nurture in: Steer, Suliman, RHM, Doyle-Hayes, Green, O'Hare, Davis.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

21 hours ago, midian said:

Lansbury is a flog. I understand when we bought him the Forest fans I know were laughing

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Gone: Terry, Johnstone, Tuanzebe, Samba, Hutton, Agbonlahor, Snodgrass, Onomah, Grabban, Bunn, Amavi freeing up alot of wages.

Sold: Gollini. £3.8m

Sell: Richards, Elphick, De Laet, McCormack, Tshibola, Gil, Lyden, Gardner, Whelan, Lansbury, Hogan potenitally bringing in a further £15m-£20m and freeing up huge wages.

Would leave us with:  Steer, Bree, Elmo, Chester, Taylor, Bjarnasson, Grealish, Jedinak, Hourihane, Green, Adomah, Kodja, Davis and needing to sign/loan/use youth in 11/12 players over 6 positions.

Youth to nurture in: Steer, Suliman, RHM, Doyle-Hayes, Green, O'Hare, Davis.

Having been through multiple fire sales at Leeds United don’t assume getting rid of fringe players to free up wages is easy.  Particularly when they and the clubs they might go to know you are desperate.  

Who for example would buy Ross McC given his recent record?  If you want him off your books you won’t get a fee and might need to find most of his wages for the remainder of his contract.  At this stage of his career and with his history getting in the £££ will be a priority.  So expect to have to buy some  out of their contracts at some big cost.  

And others you might sell down the league who’d be willing to go, you might have to either let them go on a free or agree to pay a proportion of their wages going forward to get the deal done.  As they/their agents won’t want a pay cut just to bail out the club that is selling them.  We ended up paying most of the wages for the likes of Danny Mills even after we’d sold him to Manchester City.  It barely made financial sense but we were desperate so it happened.  Remember at the time Mills was playing for England and what you would have thought was a saleable asset.  But our desperate situation let to us being totally screwed over.  This site takes a while to load but gives the basics on the history of that shambolic deal and us doing the same for Nick Barmby and Robbie Fowler. https://web.archive.org/web/20061020080048/http://www.givemefootball.com/display.cfm?article=8390&type=1  

Finally, there will be some players - the ones you could get real money for - who will stitch you up because they/their agents can.  Read this story from back during our first meltdown https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2407449/Leeds-fury-as-Kewell-pockets-4m.html. Would Grealish or Chester do the same to you that Kewell did to us?

Have a read of this as well https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/jan/17/newsstory.premierleague200203 - if I were you I’d focus on the wages off the books and halve that saving for the first couple of years.  Assume you’ll be paying a lot of departing players wages for a while hitting your wage budget for next season and the one after that.  And reduce your expectations on transfer income.  Experience at Leeds is any deals you do will be gut wrenchingly worse than you could ever imagine.

Edited by WaccoeOnline
  • Like 1

Â