What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Between 4 of us (although my mrs tapped out a few times!)

Ah, makes more sense! 
Also, my Mrs only usually taps out when she has the house to herself.

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 3

Not usually one to have a drink on a school night but bought a bottle of Saltdog Treacle rum (Aldi £14.99) so have a quick sip with some Jamaican ginger beer- it’s bloody lovely! 

only downer is the missus thinks it’s great too and helping herself to a glass! 😤😂

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 10:59, fightoffyour said:

Bars (and restaurants) in Poland Are closed again. Rack ‘em up.

last weekend:

27-D1-DAEB-8820-4-C89-97-B1-CD177-E8-C4-

Last night:

D72-BFE4-C-998-F-4929-A0-A3-6952-C992-E6

Excellent use of available kitchen handles to hang things off

• Thanks 1

I had 1/4 of a can of this last night, the rest went right down the **** sink, vile stuff.

Northern Monk Faith Hazy Pale Ale 330Ml - Tesco Groceries

People describe it as tropical/citrusy flavours, and it uses Citra hops, but I get an initial smell of onion, and it tastes like **** coleslaw. I have about a 50/50 success rate with NM and I probably won't try anymore, when they're bad, they're absolutely disgusting. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

2 boxes delivered by Laithwaites today. Whatever I have it will be good. 

I just got these.

Will spend 5 weeks looking at them, like sad people do at Christmas trees that go up too early.

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I just got these.

Will spend 5 weeks looking at them, like sad people do at Christmas trees that go up too early.

spacer.png

I will put money down now on neither our stocks making it to Christmas. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I will put money down now on neither our stocks making it to Christmas. 

In my favour I have about 20 cans of Flavourly pale ales, they are OK but not a patch on Vocation.

I also have some Mineralstein Reisling from M&S which I'm stockpiling for my 10 day Christmas break, got 7 bottles so far and we've necked two so five left/

Not forgetting the vodka/gin/rum I've just pre-ordered for delivery in December. Just need to add some cider in case the offspring decides to show up.

NO LAGER HERE!

Edited by rjw63
bastardtypoeeee
  • Like 2

10503454.jpg

rare bout of white wine drinking the last couple of nights - this bottle was absolutely delicious. One from Naked Wines. So crisp and full of flavour. Could have drunk it all evening if my tolerance hadn't just fallen out of the floor in past year or two

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I had 1/4 of a can of this last night, the rest went right down the **** sink, vile stuff.

Northern Monk Faith Hazy Pale Ale 330Ml - Tesco Groceries

People describe it as tropical/citrusy flavours, and it uses Citra hops, but I get an initial smell of onion, and it tastes like **** coleslaw. I have about a 50/50 success rate with NM and I probably won't try anymore, when they're bad, they're absolutely disgusting. 

I keep seeing this in the Tesco by me (which has an abysmal range of stuff for a store of its size), and I keep not bothering. You haven't inspired me to change that at any rate.

Which of theirs have you enjoyed? (I don't think I've tried any of them)

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Which of theirs have you enjoyed? (I don't think I've tried any of them)

Basically everything except for their IPAs.

They do a fantastic imperial stout (called "Death"), and some really nice sours, including a lime and sea salt gose I posted a month or two back. But I strongly dislike their IPAs, and I keep trying them again after people rave about them, but no.

I *think* it must be the mosaic hops they use that I don't like, I need to experiment with some other brewers and confirm that, because it takes something really bad for me to tip a beer away. I like my hipster craft beers and real ales, but I'll knock back a Stella, Cobra or something if that's all that's going. This was genuinely offensive though.

• Like 1

I don't mind Northern Monk, I generally like most of their stuff. Tiny Rebel would be my current favourite, although haven't had a drop of ale for a while. That will change in December! 

On 24/10/2020 at 19:40, HanoiVillan said:

I have never tried the [Tiny Rebel] jam [doughnut] pale, but I did buy a can of it on my last trip to the store, so doubtless I'll be letting people know what I think some time between now and Christmas (no doubt everyone is on the edge of their seats).

Tried it this evening. Didn't care for it.

18 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They do a fantastic imperial stout (called "Death"), and some really nice sours, including a lime and sea salt gose I posted a month or two back. But I strongly dislike their IPAs, and I keep trying them again after people rave about them, but no.

I *think* it must be the mosaic hops they use that I don't like, I need to experiment with some other brewers and confirm that, because it takes something really bad for me to tip a beer away. I like my hipster craft beers and real ales, but I'll knock back a Stella, Cobra or something if that's all that's going. This was genuinely offensive though.

I used to like Northern Monk since visiting the bar in Manchester. Not sure the breweries actually have the capacity to supply the supermarkets in the way they are doing, so there might be a drop off in quality.

As for the dreaded onion hop, it's definitely prevalent in one of the most commonly used varieties. This only cites onion for the Zeus hop, which I've never heard of:

Aromatic and pleasant. Black pepper, onion and light citrus aroma.

Though it does also say that Columbus is similar. There seems to be 2 different Mosaics:

Complex and pronounced. Strong impressions of citrus oil, balsam pine, blueberry, peach and tropical fruit. Notable mango character, but also shades of lime and mandarin orange / Both fruity and containing grassy, floral, earthy notes.

• Like 1

I've never seen an imperial pilsner before, I'm intrigued by that, let us know what you think!

The mainstream beer world has changed a lot over the last few years. In Morrisons this afternoon I found an 11% pecan "mud cake" 11% imperial stout. It'd have been unthinkable picking up something like that in a supermarket even a couple of years ago. I can't wait to crack this open later. The checkout lady did a double take at the price though, and I don't blame her  

omnipollo_2.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've never seen an imperial pilsner before, I'm intrigued by that, let us know what you think!

The mainstream beer world has changed a lot over the last few years. In Morrisons this afternoon I found an 11% pecan "mud cake" 11% imperial stout. It'd have been unthinkable picking up something like that in a supermarket even a couple of years ago. I can't wait to crack this open later. The checkout lady did a double take at the price though, and I don't blame her  

omnipollo_2.jpg

Aon, the Imp formerly known as Noa.

Omnipollo classic. Can't believe you got in in Morrison's though! ~£10?

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Omnipollo classic. Can't believe you got in in Morrison's though! ~£10?

£8, about 3 times more expensive than anything else of that size in there. I'd honestly never heard of it before but I was intrigued and looked it up, it seems an astonishingly good beer to get there! I'll let you know what I think!

I also got another can of this stuff, not sure if I posted this last time but it's a damn good stout 

NEW MORRISONS BEER - Northern Monk / Lervig - Norse Star (Vanilla/Cacao/ Almond Imperial Stout) - YouTube

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 15:30, Davkaus said:

I've got a beer on the go with Columbus as one of 4 hops and it's got a hint of onion, so I reckon this might be the culprit. Nicely balanced here though.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Â