What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Patently Lidl gin wins awards

2. Lidl - Hortus Citrus Garden Gin. No fewer than four of Lidl's gins have won awards and we particularly like this Citrus Garden Gin from the Hortus range. Botanicals are steeped for at least eight hours, and include lemon and orange for a hit of citrus.

https://www.shortlist.com/lists/best-supermarket-gin-400885/amp

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Funny timing, @fightoffyour, lots of Maltgarden stuff has turned up on the site I usually order from (https://www.yupp.beer/), including some of their bottled stouts. The stouts are all around a tenner a go though, I might need to take a trip to Poland when it's permissible :D 

Come to krakow/katowice and both myself and @fightoffyour will be happy to sort you out :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Funny timing, @fightoffyour, lots of Maltgarden stuff has turned up on the site I usually order from (https://www.yupp.beer/), including some of their bottled stouts. The stouts are all around a tenner a go though, I might need to take a trip to Poland when it's permissible :D 

Nice site, never heard of that before.

If you're going to go for one of the stouts then I can vouch for The Middle of Silence and the can with Pinta is also well regarded, but I couldn't recommend the other bottles at that price despite being good. They've also had better IPAs this year than those from the latest release, but your Calm As Usual(ly) is there.

For reference the cans go here for about 12.50 to 15 PLN (£2.50 to £3), the bottles for 25 PLN (£5), and the x Pinta can for 35 PLN (£7). The bars for when you visit are actually about the same price on draft.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Yupp's not the cheapest, but it's a local supplier - the guy who runs it is also a pub landlord around here so it's a nice way to help keep a decent local place ticking over even if I could save a few quid ordering from a bigger company, and they have a constantly evolving line up. This evening, I dropped him a message because I saw they're now offering monthly curated boxes of stouts or sours. I told him I'd be interested if in future he offered a mixed box. Ten minutes later he asked for my budget, and now I have a £45 box of half stouts half sours turning up once a month :D 

I have thought about a weekend in Krakow once or twice because it's a £40- direct return from EMA which is just down the road from me. Genuinely might hold you to that at some point next year @StefanAVFC, first round's on me :) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yupp's not the cheapest, but it's a local supplier - the guy who runs it is also a pub landlord around here so it's a nice way to help keep a decent local place ticking over even if I could save a few quid ordering from a bigger company, and they have a constantly evolving line up. This evening, I dropped him a message because I saw they're now offering monthly curated boxes of stouts or sours. I told him I'd be interested if in future he offered a mixed box. Ten minutes later he asked for my budget, and now I have a £45 box of half stouts half sours turning up once a month :D 

I have thought about a weekend in Krakow once or twice because it's a £40- direct return from EMA which is just down the road from me. Genuinely might hold you to that at some point next year @StefanAVFC, first round's on me :) 

By March/April I'll have the house but it's mr @fightoffyour who lives in (close to) Krakow so the likelihood is I'd come to Krakow! Some great places in Krakow, or everyone is welcome at my place :D 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

It’s nearly time for port and Guinness season. Lovely drink but doesn’t take many to absolutely ruin you. And a bit too pricey to buy in a pub. Great one for a Friday night. 

Got given a bottle of Port that I wouldn't have found a good reason to drink...until now. Cheers!

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

By March/April I'll have the house but it's mr @fightoffyour who lives in (close to) Krakow so the likelihood is I'd come to Krakow! Some great places in Krakow, or everyone is welcome at my place :D 

I am up for the Krakow-Katowice craft beer crawl

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Got given a bottle of Port that I wouldn't have found a good reason to drink...until now. Cheers!

It’s an absolute win. Not worth it with a good port, that requires a cheese board. 

but for a £10-20 bottle of port single or double in a Guinness is exceptionally festive and quite the tipple. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

It’s an absolute win. Not worth it with a good port, that requires a cheese board. 

but for a £10-20 bottle of port single or double in a Guinness is exceptionally festive and quite the tipple. 

I've got a Graham's 10 year tawny port, which seems to land right at the upper end of your Guinness-addition-acceptability range. I also didn't even think about just eating cheese with it, but then I didn't think about drinking it at all - there's actually some decorative fake ivy hanging off it 😁

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I've got a Graham's 10 year tawny port, which seems to land right at the upper end of your Guinness-addition-acceptability range. I also didn't even think about just eating cheese with it, but then I didn't think about drinking it at all - there's actually some decorative fake ivy hanging off it 😁

I suggest, open up with a single and a Guinness, then a double and a Guinness then straight port and full cheese board with grapes and apple.

Thank me later. But before the morning chod bin dispatch! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Coincidentally I just saw a guy asking Maltgarden on their Facebook post asking if they would be sending some beer his way, so I clicked on his profile and it says he’s the founder of Yupp.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Coincidentally I just saw a guy asking Maltgarden on their Facebook post asking if they would be sending some beer his way, so I clicked on his profile and it says he’s the founder of Yupp.

Is it Dan that's the founder? It's a small world!

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Is it Dan that's the founder? It's a small world!

Yupp, Dan Brown. Sounds like he’ll be getting another great pastry sour called Pool Party Fantasy - White guava, passion fruit, lime & coconut. Had a few of these recently, the wife loves it.

They’re also producing some more of their previous stouts soon - Free The Parrots was like a Bounty in a bottle, in a very good way of that’s your thing.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Â