What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Got a bottle of Disorono for Christmas, used to love the stuff sparringly, then I had a night out on the stuff. A whole bottle later, I will never touch the stuff again. They produce one of them hangovers from hell, where if you passed away it would be for the best. 😂

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Got a bottle of Disorono for Christmas, used to love the stuff sparringly, then I had a night out on the stuff. A whole bottle later, I will never touch the stuff again. They produce one of them hangovers from hell, where if you passed away it would be for the best. 😂

Not had it for a while, but used to love it. Can’t remember any bad hangovers from it, mind. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not had it for a while, but used to love it. Can’t remember any bad hangovers from it, mind. 

Used to drink it alot, as didn't used to suffer hangovers with it either, but then went overboard with the sharks awaiting. 🤮

27 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's pretty common knowledge that if you're drinking something with a lot of sugar, then your hangovers are going to be awful.

See also, wine, cider, fruit sours.

Definitely the case. I love cider but I die the following day. 

Had quite a lot of red wine over the last few days. A decent St Emilion and Amarone della Valpolicella. Really enjoyed this one from Aldi though and only about £7. Several bottles sunk. 

M%C3%A9doc-Bordeaux-Rouge-A.jpg?o=r5$Yko

Beer wise, I've had quite a few different Verdant brewery IPA's, all very nice. 

Got one of these in the fridge too which I'm looking forward to trying. 

20211119_121153-01_530x@2x.jpg?v=1637326

Never been a big Whisky drinker but suddenly got 3 bottles in the cupboard too. A mate bought me a bottle of Powers for my birthday, I got a Laphroaig for Christmas and was given a Highland Park Viking honour. All 3 have been opened. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Come on then VT. I'm looking for a bottle of Whiskey to put on my Birthday list.  Say £35-£40.  Any recommendations appreciated.👍

Without knowing your preferences, I like the The Glenrothes 12 Year. It's a very easy-going, vanilla-fruity, non smokey single malt. Works for everybody that likes whiskey.  Added bonus for being in a nicely presented package

glenrothes-the-glenrothes-12yo-speyside-

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Come on then VT. I'm looking for a bottle of Whiskey to put on my Birthday list.  Say £35-£40.  Any recommendations appreciated.👍

image.jpeg.506bfc2b2004ad275bc9c0d6dacf2da1.jpeg

Just about the best out there for the money, they haven't jumped on the bump the price up band wagon either, prices frozen still. 

image.jpeg.bbb224c3a524d64d4af5cd00f74babfb.jpeg

This too, very good.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Without knowing your preferences, I like the The Glenrothes 12 Year. It's a very easy-going, vanilla-fruity, non smokey single malt. Works for everybody that likes whiskey.  Added bonus for being in a nicely presented package

glenrothes-the-glenrothes-12yo-speyside-

Thanks, my taste doesn't matter because I want to try something totally new. 

I'll even try one of those good quality blends people were talking about earlier which I denigrated, I'm ready to be convinced. Just not Bells. 

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Thanks, my taste doesn't matter because I want to try something totally new. 

Give us some context though, what have you tried and liked, what have you tried and disliked?

I really like heavily peated Islay whiskies for example, in that price bracket I'd go for something like Scarabus, I polished a bottle of that off over the last few weeks and really enjoyed it, but I can imagine some people taking one sniff, and being completely put off by the smokiness. I was also gifted a bottle of Knockando, which is a fairly clean and smooth Speyside. Not particularly complex, but it doesn't need to be, it's very easy drinking.

I also think you can't go wrong picking something you already have and going up in age if your budget allows, for example I drank Glenlivet 12 quite regularly and plumped for the 15 year at an extra £15 or so that allowed me to drink them side by side and compare and taste the difference, which I thought was well worth it

Edited by Davkaus

Â