What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Today:

I have to say, bloody lovely! Not as 'craft' as some of my other choices, but this is a top notch chocolate stout. 

Weak as piss for an aficionado like @Davkaus but for my simple palate, its very nice :)

GTQqcve.jpeg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Today:

I have to say, bloody lovely! Not as 'craft' as some of my other choices, but this is a top notch chocolate stout. 

Weak as piss for an aficionado like @Davkaus but for my simple palate, its very nice :)

GTQqcve.jpeg

That was my gateway stout :)

I've posted about it a couple of times, particularly in reference to my favourite student cocktail. Get a bottle of that, a bottle of Well's banana bread beer, and half and half them for a wonderful chocolatey banana delight. Superb. 

• Like 2

On stout, my favourite is this stuff, which I only discovered when the bar ran out of pale and the barman suggested trying it  bloody lovely, but a bit strong for a session. wish you could get it over here, but it’s probably for the best that you can’t.

A9003583-0C9F-4B4A-9B83-4B5F5084A9E6.jpeg

• Like 1

XOJZtBg.jpeg

Was passing the Jinney Ring near Bromsgrove and there's a craft beer place there so rude not to drop in. 

I've never actually had Bathams, I know it has a high standing for those in black country and those that drink it regularly, so about time I tried it. 

Pump up the Jam for similar reasons, its been mentioned here a few times but never got round to buying some. 

Tony Rebel - Shimmy Shimmy NEIPA

Black Iris - Metamorphosis Strawberry and Basil Gose

Staggeringly Good - Spared no expense DIPA

Going away for the weekend to a log cabin so planning on taking them with a few Vocation ones from Tesco

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

XOJZtBg.jpeg

Was passing the Jinney Ring near Bromsgrove and there's a craft beer place there so rude not to drop in. 

I've never actually had Bathams, I know it has a high standing for those in black country and those that drink it regularly, so about time I tried it. 

Pump up the Jam for similar reasons, its been mentioned here a few times but never got round to buying some. 

Tony Rebel - Shimmy Shimmy NEIPA

Black Iris - Metamorphosis Strawberry and Basil Gose

Staggeringly Good - Spared no expense DIPA

Going away for the weekend to a log cabin so planning on taking them with a few Vocation ones from Tesco

Bathams is great, although by modern super-hoppy standards perhaps a bit plain if that's your thing. The bottled stuff isn't as good as the cask stuff either (but then no bottled beers are). I still really like it though, one of the very best of its style. It's just really well balanced and very drinkable.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Bathams is great, although by modern super-hoppy standards perhaps a bit plain if that's your thing. The bottled stuff isn't as good as the cask stuff either (but then no bottled beers are). I still really like it though, one of the very best of its style. It's just really well balanced and very drinkable.

Had the Bathams this evening and enjoyed it and I can imagine it would be much better from as cask in a pub. It didn't pour very well even for a typical bottled beer and didn't have much of a head. However I still enjoyed it. 

I still enjoy more traditional ales, I enjoy drinking lager a lot less nowadays though. 

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've got a lot of time for Black Iris, it's a local brewery for me and they do some really solid pales, but I've never seen anything from them as interesting as that gose. I'll be interested to hear how it goes down, @AlwaysAVFC

I think it might be a very new one, after I picked it the lady said it was really good and the brewery sold out of them quickly. 

My tipples over the last few nights on my brief Berkshire break.

The cask ale selection in the 2 village pubs wasn't great, but I guess I can't expect a huge selection from village pubs. One pub had Good Old Boy and Mister Chubb's and the other had Good Old Boy and Doom Bar.

Both fine ales but both bitters. I would have preferred something lighter or golden to be on cask as well, for a bit more choice. 

CphOY7f.jpeg

5wSDk8X.jpeg

• Like 1

Due to the spartan cask selection, I drank a bit more lager than I usually do. Aside from the usual suspects on tap like Moretti, Heineken, Estrella and Peroni, they had a few 'craftier' ones. 

These two:

nFbP7g4.jpeg

... and this, a lager brewed for Reading FC

Ie7ehlS.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Due to the spartan cask selection, I drank a bit more lager than I usually do. Aside from the usual suspects on tap like Moretti, Heineken, Estrella and Peroni, they had a few 'craftier' ones. 

These two:

nFbP7g4.jpeg

... and this, a lager brewed for Reading FC

Ie7ehlS.jpeg

Was the Coldharbour any good?

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Was the Coldharbour any good?

It was. I can't give you an in depth review as I was a few pints in of various other drinks but I definitely remember thinking it was a decent drop :)

• Like 1

Â