Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

5 hours ago, bickster said:

At least 198 Palestinians dead in Israeli retaliation attack.

Utterly predictable result of Hamas' actions earlier

What did Hamas imagine was the endgame to what they did? What Israel have done will be despicable but what were Hamas trying to achieve and how did they think it would end? If they didn’t think it ended with a lot of deaths of their own people then they didn’t think very hard. You have to suspect that Hamas knew exactly what the outcome would be and factored in those deaths. 

Its mind blowing 

The attack must partly be a message to Saudi Arabia. With the pictures of flattened Gazan apartment blocks coming out, Bin Salman won't be able to normalise relations with Israel without it being a huge PR catastrophe across the whole Arab world. He's got his balls caught in a vice now.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Again, go and read about Hamas’ aims. They couped the power of PLO in 2005 and since then it’s spiralled, also in part because of their extreme views. It’s in their bloody tenants to wipe out Israel.

Hamas is about as extreme as Isis, no matter what you may think about Israel. PLO and Fatah had aims, Hamas has nothing but violence as their only goals.

I don’t see how Hezbollah, Iran and Hamas thinks they’re going to win this. Israel has beaten them hands down in 5 wars so far, that was with Egypt doing most of the job

Iran together with Israel’s far right is the issue here, they keep funding this ever spiralling violence. It’s not going to stop unless you stamp out the ideas behind this idiocy.

Hamas is from the school of The Muslim Brotherhood, although Hamas do believe in armed military action against Israel and do not recognise Israel , that doesn’t make them as extreme as some Islamic terrorist organisations. Isis is a spin off from Al Qaeda which have different views about how they go about things compared to The Muslim Brotherhood . Hamas are nationalists where as Al Qaeda and Isis are global terrorist threats. You could say it’s like choosing between being bitten by a Rattlesnake or a Black Mamba. Both hurt and both dangerous but there’s a difference and the one is more of a threat than the other .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm shocked that no-one on VT has mentioned which spark lit the fuse of this current crisis. I'm less surprised that all of the main stream outlets are just condemning the actions of the Palestinians without giving any context.

On October 4th, ultranationalist Jews stormed the Al-Asqua Mosque in East Jerusalem. According to Jewish law, entering any part of the Mosque compound is forbidden due to the sacred nature of the site. It's against their own laws FFS, but no, the orthodox radicals stormed the Mosque and starting trying to conduct Jewish religious rituals.

The idea that Hamas just launched a completely unprovoked attack is BS of the highest order and of course isn't being reported so that lines can be blurred and the narrative of terrorism vs the plucky, completely unprovocative Israeli victim can be spun.

The irony that the Jewish people suffered near extermination during WWII but now are trying to inflict the same fate upon the Palestinians is, obviously, not irony. It's a sick indictment of what humans are capable of.

https://theprint.in/world/how-al-aqsa-mosque-3rd-holiest-site-in-islam-became-focal-point-of-israeli-palestinian-tensions/1794531/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/4/israeli-settlers-storm-al-aqsa-mosque-complex-on-fifth-day-of-sukkot

I read about this last night. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm shocked that no-one on VT has mentioned which spark lit the fuse of this current crisis. I'm less surprised that all of the main stream outlets are just condemning the actions of the Palestinians without giving any context.

On October 4th, ultranationalist Jews stormed the Al-Asqua Mosque in East Jerusalem. According to Jewish law, entering any part of the Mosque compound is forbidden due to the sacred nature of the site. It's against their own laws FFS, but no, the orthodox radicals stormed the Mosque and starting trying to conduct Jewish religious rituals.

The idea that Hamas just launched a completely unprovoked attack is BS of the highest order and of course isn't being reported so that lines can be blurred and the narrative of terrorism vs the plucky, completely unprovocative Israeli victim can be spun.

The irony that the Jewish people suffered near extermination during WWII but now are trying to inflict the same fate upon the Palestinians is, obviously, not irony. It's a sick indictment of what humans are capable of.

https://theprint.in/world/how-al-aqsa-mosque-3rd-holiest-site-in-islam-became-focal-point-of-israeli-palestinian-tensions/1794531/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/4/israeli-settlers-storm-al-aqsa-mosque-complex-on-fifth-day-of-sukkot

This isn’t a one off response to people entering a mosque. It is about derailing the normalisation of relations between Saudi Arabia and Israel. Hamas does not want Israel to exist but Israel’s backing by Saudi Arabia will end that notion for the region. The attack has been timed and planned on the 50th anniversary of the Yom Kippur war in ‘73. Israel’s response is going to put Saudi in an awkward position. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LondonLax said:

More acceptable?

seeing as you asked so nicely, no I don't feel it's acceptable. I don't know what possesses people to share this sort of content.

Can't wait for some proper snuff videos like the Russia thread :(

Israel spokespeople will make the point that the people of Gaza voted in Hamas so therefore this is their fault and whatever repercussions there are will again be their fault. But who would you vote for after you tried the Gandhi route?

7 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

What’s going on in Israel is horrible, but I’m not sure I feel any more sympathy for the Israeli civilians than the ones in Gaza who are about to be killed in the Israeli retaliation.

The modern incarnation of Israel isn’t a plucky new state desperately trying to survive against multiple neighbouring Arab states trying to exterminate them. They’re the largest military power in the region operating a religiously nationalist apartheid state, while deliberately colonising most of the disrupted land and making no attempt at a peace process. Feels like they’re barely even a western ally any more either.

I’m not sure what the solution is, but there does need to be recognition that expecting the Palestinians to remain peaceful is just asking them to quietly consent to being erased from the disputed areas. Israel has been continually pushing forward the status quo to benefit themselves in any recent times of peace.

We can feel sympathy for the civilians on both sides who are caught in the crossfire of power plays by their leaders. 

• Like 3

Â