Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

47 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

No, no, I asked a question. I did that so as to understand what you meant. I find communication a lot easier if you engage with people.

It’s a lot easier if you don’t read non existent invisible ink. I genuinely think you are the only person who read LLs post and thought it was sarcastic

• Like 1

It puts Meltyface Lavrov’s meeting with Hamas a few months back into perspective, doesn’t it. He probably shared some ways to attack civilians in a way that is so over the top that even Jeremy Corbyn is struggling with supporting is good friends in Hamas.

• Haha 2

Just now, bickster said:

It’s a lot easier if you don’t read non existent invisible ink. I genuinely think you are the only person who read LLs post and thought it was sarcastic

Jeebus, again, no I didn't. I wasn't sure, and didn't want to assume anything. The post as was written changes massively in meaning with a change in tone, which is fairly impossible to ascertain from written text. And at the end of near enough a whole page of terrorism vidoes off twitter it was not at all obvious to me. Do we really need to state that people who aren't psychopaths and sociopaths thinks killing people is bad? Or was there a hidden meaning I was missing?

I can get spikey when people outright ignore me I'll admit.

49 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Jeebus, again, no I didn't. I wasn't sure, and didn't want to assume anything. The post as was written changes massively in meaning with a change in tone, which is fairly impossible to ascertain from written text. And at the end of near enough a whole page of terrorism vidoes off twitter it was not at all obvious to me. Do we really need to state that people who aren't psychopaths and sociopaths thinks killing people is bad? Or was there a hidden meaning I was missing?

I can get spikey when people outright ignore me I'll admit.

I take it you haven’t seen the celebrations and fireworks being let off on Saturday from people supporting the cause as a justified retaliation against oppression?

This is from an Iran state newspaper yesterday. The translation says

We became a thousand! The media of the Zionist regime announced that the casualties of the resistance forces' attack on this regime on October 17 reached 1000 people!”

Edited by LondonLax

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The EU have stopped aid to Gaza - it wasn't a great place to live as it was - it's becoming unliveable for more than 2 million people and it's hard to see how they have any sort of future.

It’s almost as if they have little to no options……

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Also, the US hadn’t been pushing those people in the same way that Israel has been

I agree with your general sentiment but I'd say this bit is debatable and a matter of perspective.

There are no good and bad guys here, just arguably less shitty guys depending on where you live.

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t believe the EU has stopped aid.

Seems like you're right thankfully - although there was some confusion earlier

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-67050350

European Commission says Palestinian aid not suspended

The European Commission has said that aid payments for Palestinians are not being suspended.

The bloc's new statement comes after Commissioner for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Oliver Varhelyi said earlier that all payments were immediately suspended.

The Commission said in a statement that it was launching a review of its aid programme.

"In the meantime, as there were no payments foreseen, there will be no suspension of payments," the statement added. 

Elsewhere, the UK has announced it is also reviewing its aid for Palestinian projects.

Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden told ITV's Peston programme it was "very important to appreciate that we shouldn't clump together the Hamas terrorists in the Gaza Strip who have carried out these attacks and the Palestinian Authority and the Palestinian people".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm relieved to read that Sunak is ready to offer military help, because after all these decades I reckon a couple more bombs will sort this out.

The Israeli PM has said they will reap a revenge that will be remembered for decades.

And of course, he’s right. Somebody somewhere in ten or fifteen years time will be using that revenge as the justification for their revenge of the revenge.

But its nice that we’ve picked a side, it’s so much easier when its described as goodies and baddies.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm relieved to read that Sunak is ready to offer military help, because after all these decades I reckon a couple more bombs will sort this out.

Well it is kind of Britain’s mess if you trace it back so only fitting to go back and sort it out 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just another entry in the decades long timeline of Gaza being flattened and it's people treated worse than livestock. It'll only be remembered as another date where a military power unleashed it's arsenal on one of the most crowded bits of land on the planet.

Eventually this will end. It'll end with Palestine gone and it's people entirely spread to the wind (and not least a big old chunk of them in the ground), and Israel celebrating their 'rightful' return to all of Israel.

And the world will keep turning despite the great wrong inflicted. Just like it has after all the little steps, the little sufferings, the big sufferings, all the wounds and the graves, every day for generations.

• Like 4

Just now, ender4 said:

I read somewhere that Gaza has 2 million people in that small area.  Has it always had so many people? Or are more people moving into Gaza from somewhere?

I think its 2.4 million kettled in there.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Interesting that it’s difficult to get an unbiased view on the events. Sky News, BBC, all the US networks etc all reporting with a heavy bias toward Israel, Al Jazeera unsurprisingly the other way around.

Newsnight just rapidly shut some guy down that was suggesting turning off the water supply as a mass punishment of civilians was a war crime.

On the BBC news at 10, we were shown the funeral of a ‘lad’ who moved to Israel because he wanted to be a front line soldier. They didn’t appear to see any irony or any consequence of ones own actions in that. They just had it as a family tragedy story.

The leaders on both sides are equally murderous, but one side has far superior weaponry and networking skills.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm merely pointing out the only way this ends. Palestine will not be allowed to exist as a free state in control of its own destiny. Israel will slowly destroy it. They already are well on the way. Eventually, they'll completely succeed.

I don’t think so because they've had 50+ years to do that and haven’t managed it yet.  So what could change in the next 50 years for Israel to actually destroy it (or the people there)?  

Surely it’ll just carry on like this for ever and ever… well until the aliens invade or climate change washes away or burns the Middle East.

Just now, ender4 said:

I don’t think so because they've had 50+ years to do that and haven’t managed it yet.  So what could change in the next 50 years for Israel to actually destroy it (or the people there)?  

Surely it’ll just carry on like this for ever and ever… well until the aliens invade or climate change washes away or burns the Middle East.

They'll keep illegally settling in the West Bank, and eventually the West Bank will be Israel and the non-Jews there either sign up to official second class citizen status or be forced to leave.

Gaza will slowly be flattened and crushed again and again every time violence breaks out in the prison and the international mood will get grey enough that Israel just takes the lot and they'll displace the residents, just as they already do with settlers and property claims.

That's the end game. Might take a while, but Israel is already a lot bigger than it used to be and Palestine a lot smaller, and that's within a lifetime. 

• Like 2

Â