Pre-match chat

mjmooney

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

I expect the mighty Villa to show its true force on the day and hammer Fulham back to the dark ages.

I am dreaming of this, a Villa side so pumped up and motivated that we just sweep them aside with sheer awesomeness. 3-0 before half time and then finish 3-1 having defended for our lives in the second half. It is time to dream after all!

• Like 2

Just went onto a Fulham forum to see how they feel about this and they are all very confident. From what I can tell, they kinda think it's game over already and Mitrovic is going to bully us. 

With Terry and Jedinak doubling up on Mitrovic I can see him having a frustrating afternoon myself.

Everyone keeps going about Mitro as if he's some sort of incredible talent. He's been good in the championship for about 3 months and will most likely look very average up against the likes of Terry and Chester. 

I'm starting to get almost too confident about this match but luckily we've got over a week for the nerves and doubt to slowly creep in haha 

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We need to avenge that 2-0 defeat. We need to set the record straight when we play them. I do think they havw this bit of arrogance about them that they think they are already up.

Well yeah when we lost to them we had both Albert and Grealish out. We beat them at Villa Park earlier in the season. They have lost 2 of their last 3. We have only conceded 2 goals in the last 7, and only defeat was when we played a reserve side versus Millwall.  All to play for. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well yeah when we lost to them we had both Albert and Grealish out. We beat them at Villa Park earlier in the season. They have lost 2 of their last 3. We have only conceded 2 goals in the last 7, and only defeat was when we played a reserve side versus Millwall.  All to play for. 

I agree. Alberts defensive work will definitely be handy and grealish vs cairney will be a interesting one. 

I just hope we get the grealish in the semi vs liverpoo. If we do fulham wont have a chance

2000, Wembley, FA Cup final - massive letdown

2015, Wembley, FA Cup final - massive letdown 

2018, Wembley, promotion playoff final... 

PLEASE, Villa, don't do that to me again. 

• Like 1

Us:

1975 - Wembley - LCF - Win.

1977 - Wembley - LCF - Win.

1994 - Wembley - LCF - Win.

1996 - Wembley - LCF - Win.

2015 - Wembley - FACSF - Win. 

Fulham:

1975 - Wembley FACF - Lost. 

Hit me baby one more time! :flag:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure the commentator on the 2nd leg of the semi said that we had been to Wembley 11 times in our history. But surely that's not right? 7 FA Cups and 5 league cups plus the finals we've lost and the semi finals of the FA Cup.

Were some of the older FA cup wins at other grounds i.e. the old Crystal Palace? Exactly how many times have we played at Wembley?

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm sure the commentator on the 2nd leg of the semi said that we had been to Wembley 11 times in our history. But surely that's not right? 7 FA Cups and 5 league cups plus the finals we've lost and the semi finals of the FA Cup.

Were some of the older FA cup wins at other grounds i.e. the old Crystal Palace? Exactly how many times have we played at Wembley?

Early finals were at Kennington Oval, Crystal Palace and Stamford Bridge, yeah. An early Charity Shield match was at Stamford Bridge too. First League Cup final was 2 legged home & away. 

Wembley matches;

Apr 26 1924 - Newcastle Utd - 1:2 - FA Cup Final 

May 4 1957 - Manchester Utd - 2:1 - FA Cup Final 

Dec 27 1970 - Tottenham Hotspur - 0:2 - League Cup Final

Mar 1 1975 - Norwich City - 1:0 - League Cup Final

Mar 12 1977 - Everton - 0:0 - League Cup Final 

Aug 22 1982 - Tottenham Hotspur - 2:2 - Charity Shield 

Mar 27 1994 - Manchester Utd - 3:1 - League Cup Final

Mar 24 1996 - Leeds Utd - 3:0 - League Cup Final

Apr 2 2000 - Bolton Wanderers - 0:0 - FA Cup Semi Final 

May 20 2000 - Chelsea - 0:1 - FA Cup Final 

Feb 28 2009 - Manchester Utd - 1:2 - League Cup Final 

Apr 10 2009 - Chelsea - 0:3 - FA Cup Semi Final 

Apr 19 2015 - Liverpool - 2:1 FA Cup Semi Final 

May 30 2015 - Arsenal - 0:4 - FA Cup Final 

So, I make that 14 in total with a record of 5-6-3 (in normal time - one win on pens). 

Source - I checked the Villa Complete Record and noted all the occasions a match was played at Wembley. Well, I think I did, guess I might have missed some, but I was quite thorough. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 20.27.04.png

Hahaha! :D Brilliant! Hutton in the 93rd, that's a great day dream there from Prince William. :) I'd also be so happy for the Scottish Cafu if that happened. My player for the day dream 93rd winner is Jack. If it wasn't him him then suddenly it's a tough choice... ? my second choice would be from Hutton, Terry, Bjarnasson, Adomah, Grabban or Kodjia. Johnstone from a long goal kick would be nice too.

Edited by robby b

23 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Just went onto a Fulham forum to see how they feel about this and they are all very confident. From what I can tell, they kinda think it's game over already and Mitrovic is going to bully us. 

With Terry and Jedinak doubling up on Mitrovic I can see him having a frustrating afternoon myself.

Am I missing something about this guy?  On loan from Newcastle and a lower goals per minute ratio than Grabban.  Adomah has scored more (admittedly over a longer time period).

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Early finals were at Kennington Oval, Crystal Palace and Stamford Bridge, yeah. An early Charity Shield match was at Stamford Bridge too. First League Cup final was 2 legged home & away. 

Wembley matches;

Apr 26 1924 - Newcastle Utd - 1:2 - FA Cup Final 

May 4 1957 - Manchester Utd - 2:1 - FA Cup Final 

Dec 27 1970 - Tottenham Hotspur - 0:2 - League Cup Final

Mar 1 1975 - Norwich City - 1:0 - League Cup Final

Mar 12 1977 - Everton - 0:0 - League Cup Final 

Aug 22 1982 - Tottenham Hotspur - 2:2 - Charity Shield 

Mar 27 1994 - Manchester Utd - 3:1 - League Cup Final

Mar 24 1996 - Leeds Utd - 3:0 - League Cup Final

Apr 2 2000 - Bolton Wanderers - 0:0 - FA Cup Semi Final 

May 20 2000 - Chelsea - 0:1 - FA Cup Final 

Feb 28 2009 - Manchester Utd - 1:2 - League Cup Final 

Apr 10 2009 - Chelsea - 0:3 - FA Cup Semi Final 

Apr 19 2015 - Liverpool - 2:1 FA Cup Semi Final 

May 30 2015 - Arsenal - 0:4 - FA Cup Final 

So, I make that 14 in total with a record of 5-6-3 (in normal time - one win on pens). 

Source - I checked the Villa Complete Record and noted all the occasions a match was played at Wembley. Well, I think I did, guess I might have missed some, but I was quite thorough. 

Thanks for posting that @hogso !

The only one I've been at was the heaviest defeat (against Arsenal) so you'll be pleased to know I can't make it next week!

Since watching us lift the cup in 1996 on TV, I have always dreamed of watching Villa win at Wembley. However, that dream was based on the idea that only finals were held at Wembley so, being greedy, I still feel like I'm waiting for that to happen despite being there for Liverpool semis.

Realistically, this has to count as a 'proper' final even if it wasn't the one I envisaged as a 15 year old lad. I'm currently 1 win in 3 visits, I hope that ratio is up to 50% this time next week...

That was a great run from 1975 until 2000. I remember going to Wembley on the tube before the 2000 final. I was wearing my old silk Villa scarf and a smug Chelsea fan said "enjoy your day out" to me I told him my scarf had seen more wins at Wembley than he had (or words to that effect) which shut him up nicely!