Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Been to see the new Spidey.  It is freaking awesome.  Stunning to look at, well written, funny and clever.  Definitely requires a second view as there is so much going on.  I didn't think they could get up to the standards of the first one again, but they only went and did it.  For me this is the standard by which I will judge all Super hero movies.

Weird question but can anyone think of a scene in a Marvel film (told it was a film but could be one of the shows) where a female superhero (again what I was told but might not be a superhero) is chased by a dog?

Apparently my sister in law's adult niece (who I've met a few times but not for year's) is a dog trainer and works with Marvel occasionally. For the scene referenced above the actress was too scared of dogs to do it so she had to step in for her and is subsequently in a Marvel film. 

My SIL has no interest in Marvel so doesn't know the film or character and isn't 100% on the details except it's a dog chasing a woman in the MCU.

A Google search isn't giving me the answer and I can't remember the niece's surname.

Solid first episode of Secret Invasion. Not amazing, completely and entirely set up, nice tone shift, not sure the concept is that good, clearly isn't going to do Secret Invasion 'properly' as expected, but not bad.

Solid second episode but ooft when it's rough it's rough. Theres some dialogue there that was terribad. On the other hand it feels like it's starting to develop the ideas that make Secret Invasion interesting as a concept to play with.

Also surprisingly graphic for Marvel these days. Nothing really hyper gory but we got some clear examples of explicit violence that really aren't the Marvel thing.

Also confirms

Spoiler

Super Skrulls incoming as expected.

On 22/06/2023 at 09:42, Chindie said:

Solid first episode of Secret Invasion. Not amazing, completely and entirely set up, nice tone shift, not sure the concept is that good, clearly isn't going to do Secret Invasion 'properly' as expected, but not bad.

I found the whole thing a bit boring tbh. I went back and watched the first couple of episodes of Loki as a comparison as I remember them being witty and clever and interesting, all the things this Fury thing lacks. Turns out I'd rather just carry on watching Loki and I'll give Fury the swerve for now.

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

it's not really an 'Antman' film.

That right there was my biggest issue with it.

It lost all the humour and warmth that made the first two enjoyable.

Very disappointed.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That right there was my biggest issue with it.

It lost all the humour and warmth that made the first two enjoyable.

Very disappointed.

Yeah... The humour is still there I think but it's a different type of humour, it switches more to the whacky stuff rather than the gags about shrinking/embiggening things.

Which is the thing that really sets this apart from a 'real' Antman film imo. By setting it in the quantum realm you rip away that through line of conventional objects or situations getting used in weird ways or seen from new perspectives that is the foundation of the films. All Antman does in the film is make himself into Giantman, which may as well by anyone else, and as it's set in the subatomic world there's no room for using cheap sight gags like chucking a toy car that turns into a full-size lorry.

And then the humour itself is all **** lazy 'oh look at all the weird stuff in this world', and it's a bit cynical and Rudd looks tired...

Nah. A miss.

Re Ant Man 3 - I liked Kang but wondering what Marvel will do now that Jonathan Majors has screwed the pooch. 

Personally I wouldn’t mind if they recast the character instead of shoe-horning in another big-bad ahead of schedule.

Talking of Marvel bad guys - I hope one day they have a proper go at doing Doctor Doom (assuming if they manage a palatable Fantastic Four)

The one recent bad guy I didn’t care for was in GOTG3 - way too shouty and pantoesque villainy. Glad he won’t be making a reappearance 

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Re. Kang.

If it were me, and this is regardless of whether Majors is guilty or not, I'd quickly bin off Kang and the multiverse shit with some hasty rewrites (appreciating the writers strike) of an upcoming film to resolve the lot of it, because it's shite. I'd then commit to a phase with Dr Doom as the new big bad, bring in Xmen and Fantastic 4.  Run concurrently start a secondary spin off with the more supernatural heroes (Blade, Ghost Rider etc) forming a darker team to take on the more horror/mystical aspects of the Marvel universe with a big bad villain like Mephisto, with some characters doing crossovers like Strange, Moon Knight etc. You could also look at a truly cosmic spin off series with the more whacky out there heroes taking on someone like Annihilus, with crossover characters like Captain Marvel. And chuck in Galactus as the biggest of bads for your ultra world ending crossover at the end.

Boom. 20+ films, all budgets, all genre touch points, develop new characters, and it's less shit than multiverses.

Mmmmm some interesting ideas. I would counter this with knocking the whole thing on the head. Nobody needs to see any more of these films.

5 hours ago, villaglint said:

Mmmmm some interesting ideas. I would counter this with knocking the whole thing on the head. Nobody needs to see any more of these films.

Yep, I loved the Infinity Saga of 24 films, but that’s over now and the rest is rubbish. Need to kill it off (at least for a few years).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villaglint said:

Theres nothing wrong with doing more of these. The problem is making them good and keeping them unique. Theres upwards of 70 years of stories they can mine from, there's a lot of good writers, there's interesting characters and concepts they've not done anything with. They don't all need to be huge blockbusters, they don't all need to be 'big' stories. Mix it up. Theres always going to be people that want to see an action movie, so deliver that. Do some smaller stories, do some stuff with darker tones, do some lighter stuff

The post Endgame stuff has been weak (in the main - there's been decent stuff too) because they got caught between doing epilogue stuff which doesn't stand up to what came before, set up for their new concept with multiverses, and the Disney+ stuff which has been ok but little more (except Moon Knight, which is great). And then you chuck in the pandemic which clearly **** a few productions - Antman 3 definitely has all the hallmarks of being made in lockdown on green screen and being cobbled together in editing suites and on hard drives, as did Thor 4. It's not been a good Phase.

But it's not what the lazy comments make out either. Theres been solid movies in there. Black Widow is a decent action movie, not amazing and fills a hole that could easily have been ignored, and it wastes Taskmaster, but we get Yelena and Red Guardian introduced and some solid action. Shang-chi gives us a load of new characters and 'Marvel does Chinese cinema' - we get a Marvel kungfu movie, a Marvel wuxia movie and a Marvel Chinese fantasy movie smashed into one, to varying degrees of success, but it's fun and some good performances and scenes and makes a rubbish character compelling. Eternals is dire, pretty but vapid nonsense. No Way Home is ultimate fan service, shouldn't work but really does, and the only example of multiverses being fun, top end MCU. Dr Strange 2 is alright, does that my first horror movie thing and with the Raimi stylings very well, suffers for being so reliant on Wandavision, does nothing with it's concept and has a plot that goes from 0 to light speed in a microsecond. Thor 4 is too Waititi unleashed and isn't funny, and criminally wastes its villain and it's plot, its still fun but the pieces are there to do a better film than Waititi offered up - and as said there's big lockdown influence over it that hurts it. And Black Panther 2 is a misfire.

Theres little brilliant in there (No Way Home notwithstanding) but only Eternals is truly bad, the rest vary between solid and disappointing. Much like Phase 1 did.

• Like 2

So I've finished all of the Marvel stuff pretty much. The last two films were really good and I get why people like them now.

Although, the whole 22 movie story arc is just about a bloke who is really militant about resource management. 

• 2 weeks later...

Secret Wars was ok, but they could’ve done so much more with it. 
There were a lot of plot holes, and killing off of known characters too easily. 
Giah is now surely overpowered, she has more power than Captain Marvel who is OP’d herself. 
Also is the President human? Or from somewhere else? 

That was not a good series at all IMO.

Whole concept daft. Fury had to fix it on his own because it was "his doing"?!

Him and his partner didn't act normal at any point. He wanders in after years away and there's not a big reunion or a big argument immediately? Took you out of it.

Main villain's welsh accent was off-putting because there was no mention of Wales.

Â