Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Where does the MCU go after the end of Secret Invasion?

Spoiler

There's now some random character walking around with ALL the powers of the Avengers.

Either she joins them and is by far the most powerful or she becomes the big bad.

Stupid decision from Disney and the MCU just seems to get worse and worse as it goes on recently (with the odd exception).

GotG3 tonight.

Liked it, didn't love it.

Feels a little phoned in somehow. Isn't funny enough. It's got some really rough edits that feel off for the series, like it was chopped up hard and fast in the editing room. Adam Warlock is a blatant case of a bolt on character for a plot that didn't need them. Soundtrack doesn't work anywhere near well enough.

Plus side, looks great, a nice OTT villain, Rocket's origin is heartbreaking and worth watching for that alone.

Not bad at all but not brilliant. Never want to watch it again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

GotG3 tonight.

Liked it, didn't love it.

Feels a little phoned in somehow. Isn't funny enough. It's got some really rough edits that feel off for the series, like it was chopped up hard and fast in the editing room. Adam Warlock is a blatant case of a bolt on character for a plot that didn't need them. Soundtrack doesn't work anywhere near well enough.

Plus side, looks great, a nice OTT villain, Rocket's origin is heartbreaking and worth watching for that alone.

Not bad at all but not brilliant. Never want to watch it again.

Ive been reading about alot of marvel films bombing since end game finished.

Worrying for the franchise 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive been reading about alot of marvel films bombing since end game finished.

Worrying for the franchise 

The only one that's been a box office failure was Antman 3. Guardians 3 made nearly $900m. For some reason people think all the Marvel movies do Avengers numbers in the billions, they don't and never have.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The only one that's been a box office failure was Antman 3. Guardians 3 made nearly $900m. For some reason people think all the Marvel movies do Avengers numbers in the billions, they don't and never have.

I thought i read that thor flopped?

Didnt black adam, morbious flop?

I also read that G3 didnt do as well as they hoped.

Not just marvel DCs had flops like the flash.

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought i read that thor flopped?

Didnt black adam, morbious flop?

I also read that G3 didnt do as well as they hoped.

Not just marvel DCs had flops like the flash.

Thor 4 was in the top ten for box office take in 2022 - it didn't flop.

Black Adam is DC.

Morbius is a Sony Spiderman spin off, not a Marvel Studios film.

Guardians 3 is the second highest grossing film of the year. Only the Mario movie has done more so far, though it's likely Barbie will ultimately push Guardians down to the third.

The Flash has been a huge flop. That's a complicated one though. And again, DC.

Edited by Chindie

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Thor 4 was in the top ten for box office take in 2022 - it didn't flop.

Black Adam is DC.

Morbius is a Sony Spiderman spin off, not a Marvel Studios film.

Guardians 3 is the second highest grossing film of the year. Only the Mario movie has done more so far, though it's likely Barbie will ultimately push Guardians down to the third.

The Flash has been a huge flop. That's a complicated one though. And again, DC.

I quite liked the flash thought it was a really good film. Suprised it did ao badly same with black adam.

Thor was one of the worst marvel films ive seen. It was terrible

I didn't hate Thor 4 but it was a disappointment after Ragnarok. Got it's balance wrong, and wasted 2 of the best Thor storylines including a very good villain (and criminally underused Bale as a result who is genuinely creepy in that take on Gorr). Still ultimately an alright movie but really could and should have been much more.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

I didn't hate Thor 4 but it was a disappointment after Ragnarok. Got it's balance wrong, and wasted 2 of the best Thor storylines including a very good villain (and criminally underused Bale as a result who is genuinely creepy in that take on Gorr). Still ultimately an alright movie but really could and should have been much more.

But those **** goats

It fell flat of ragnoroks dizzying heights, it made bizarre choices and can't escape the meaninglessness of the whole phase

The strange thing being 1 and 2 are not very good, 2 is a contender for worst film of the lot, so the high expectations of a thor film are maybe misplaced

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But those **** goats

It fell flat of ragnoroks dizzying heights, it made bizarre choices and can't escape the meaninglessness of the whole phase

The strange thing being 1 and 2 are not very good, 2 is a contender for worst film of the lot, so the high expectations of a thor film are maybe misplaced

Yeah as I said the balance is wrong, there's too much of the comedy and it's too scattershot. The goats are just an example of that.

I still think overall it's less that it's bad and more that it's really disappointing. 1 and 2 weren't great but they're less disappointing than 4. I enjoy 1 and 2 but can see they have issues, 3 was really good because they had the balance right - it was consistently funny but didn't drown the thing in gags, it has a decent plot and keeps its villain ticking along. 4 just isn't, so we end up with this messy thin thing that isn't funny enough despite everything being a gag and completely undersells it's main plotline. But isn't bad for all that, just nowhere near good enough.

Had high hopes for GOTG3 based off reviews and reactions.

It's watchable and very good when compared to the dross Marvel has out out lately, but compared to earlier films it's average and too long.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Had high hopes for GOTG3 based off reviews and reactions.

It's watchable and very good when compared to the dross Marvel has out out lately, but compared to earlier films it's average and too long.

Im finding this the biggest issue. Since endgame nothibg has really hit those levels. The one that stsicks out for me was the 3rd Spiderman. I liked that.

I think the biggest problem is the goofy comedy is just not funny and that they are literally releasing far too films.

I think deadpool 3 will do very well out of the next few.

Im gonna stick my neck out and say the marvels flops more than dr strange 

I've been thinking about GotG3 in the days since seeing and I'm still kinda torn in there it sits in the series.

I think it's definitely evidence of James Gunn developing as a filmmaker, it's more mature than GotG 1 and deals with weightier stuff more seriously, which is partly why it's less funny - it doesn't punctuate all it's emotional stuff with jokes, and it lets some of that heavier content just sit with the audience and confronts then with some grim stuff head on and without padding.

Compared to most Marvel fare it's telling a very small story, and it's structure is basically a small narrative pushing forward with flashback backstory breaking it up. Which makes it feel less... awesome... than the usual Marvel movies. It's done well enough that I don't think that matters, but I can see some of the audience being let down to find a very small scale very self contained movie.

Saying that I do think there's issues though. The stuff that's meant to be funny is less successful than it's been at any point in the series and feels a little like the gags have dried up. Drax for instance is now just an idiot, but previously he wasn't stupid so much as a character who operated on different 'social format', which feels like the script being made stupider for the writer's ease. The bickering is less fun, there's less witty gags, those that there are aren't as funny. 

That also adds to the feeling that some of the cast are just over this. Nobody puts in bad performances but there's that feeling that an obligation is being filling rather than people enjoying their roles. Bautusta feels a little phoned in, Pratt has a tiredness to him particularly when he's less focused on, Saldano is cashing her cheque... Not great.

The soundtrack isn't good. Theres still the run of iconic tunes but they don't gel into the film as well, there's no great sequences where the songs add to what we're seeing our help create moments. They're just... there. Good tracks playing over moments. Theres not that magic, inspired creativity of melding a tune to a sequence that was so good in the first movie.

And so on.

It's strange. I feel like this movie is a more... worthy... film than many Marvel movies and it's still very good and still has the hallmarks of the series with the melding of humour, horror, sorrow, grotesquery and beauty, and it might well be the best script of the trilogy with the confidence to smack the audience with something horrible and not take the sting out with a joke. It's very affecting. But I don't love it, it does feel like a obligation that was put together quickly and misses some of the joy and charm the series made itself on.

I think the question I keep coming back to it is - is it better than No Way Home? No Way Home is the best thing they've done since Endgame, but it's Fan Service - the Movie. It nearly writes itself once you have the concept, and it's plot is extremely simple. But it's really enjoyable and takes it's concept and smashes it out of the park. Whereas GotG3 is more ambitious and trying to make 'better' cinema than NWH, with heavier themes, less spectacle, more emotion, etc etc. But NWH is more enjoyable.

I'll have to revisit the ranking of MCU films for me soon I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it tonight

Think Adam Warlock was seriously under developed and badly written, he doesn't work yet he's still a better character than Mantis... It a bad mixture of feeling rushed and tired at the same time, as good as rockets story is it doesn't land the his story all along line and ironically it doesn't look cool anymore

And worst of all same as all these marvel films right now, it can't shake the feeling that it doesn't need to exist

Still it's one of the better ones from this phase

• 2 months later...

It's worth noting that Disney has owned Marvel since 2009. Disney made Marvel what it became on screen. They might have stumbled post Endgame, but they only got to make that stumble because Disney was bankrolling it.

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's worth noting that Disney has owned Marvel since 2009. Disney made Marvel what it became on screen. They might have stumbled post Endgame, but they only got to make that stumble because Disney was bankrolling it.

I think the tvs shows is the biggest issue. They just are not good.  Loki, she hulk wandavision have all not been very good.

We are now seeing them happen to the films as well after endgame like you say.

I mean the original daredevil jessica jones and punisher were before disney i think and were all very good.

read a piece on IGN yesterday about it, sounds like they've overhauled the production of daredevil

and they've finally got a show runner, that's the biggest issue they have (same with SW apart from andor) there's no real cohesion, definitely not from series to series but at time from episode to episode too

Â