Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

2 hours ago, Rolta said:

It's such a shame Oscar Isaac made this guy annoying. And also that half the show existed metaphorically. What pants. I really hated it.

I didnt enjoy it, but I thought Isaac was the only good thing about it. For me his acting was excellent, just the writing and story was awful.

Edited by mikeyp102

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I did t enjoy it, but I thought Isaac was the only good thing about it. For me his acting was excellent, just the writing and story was awful.

I didn't mind one of the Oscar Isaacs, but the British one was infuriating. I couldn't listen to another word by the time I was done!

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Ant-Man 3 reviews are all over the place. Common themes seen to be it's less fun than the other films, has great visuals, a good villain, but it's a bit of a mess and too much of a building block.

Great i had high hopes for this so not looking good. Ill still watch it.

Cant say since endgame there has been many good marvel films. 

On 14/02/2023 at 19:29, Chindie said:

Ant-Man 3 reviews are all over the place. Common themes seen to be it's less fun than the other films, has great visuals, a good villain, but it's a bit of a mess and too much of a building block.

I saw it yesterday with my 17 year old son. We both concluded it is one of the worst movies we have ever seen. The baddie is the only passable feature, the rest is drivel. It's not even funny. It tries for a few gags and they should land given the quality of actors delivering them, but they are so telegraphed it's just boring. 

The visuals were pretty I suppose, but you could smell the green screen. The actors rarely seemed present in their environment. It was painfully fake in places. I'm at the stage I would rather they just fully animate it if this is the best they can do to combine CGI with live action.

Then there are the thing that so many of this type of movie get wrong. Calling the villain He for the first 45 minutes so the name can be revealed later like any of us going in don't know who he is. Also no one seems interested in asking who he is which was just weird. Characters withholding vital information from the team for unfathomable reasons again so the discovery can be a big 'shock' moment. It's sloppy, lazy writing. It happens at one point where one person says we don't have time to talk then they cut to the very next scene where they are having a stroll, under no pressure at all and still not discussing what is frankly vital information.

Smart people constantly making dumb decisions for plot reasons. It almost completely divorces the character from their personality. Everyone is a plot device so you don't care about anyone. They are smart or stupid, insightful, oblivious, sharing, intransigent, strong, weak whatever the scene they are in needs them to be regardless of what has gone before or what they will be capable of moments later.

This isn't just a bad marvel movie. It is just a bad movie. Puss in Boots was way better. I'd rather watch the green lantern again than this movie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

to combine CGI with live action.

I'm pretty sure it can be done well if given the love and time a film deserves, but I suspect these films are rushed out and they probably have re-shoots as the story doesn't make sense or similar. 

Then they put it out on the date no matter what state it is in.

In 2023,  the CGI perfection should be a given I would have thought but it's quantity that is important for Marvel IMO.

10 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I'm pretty sure it can be done well if given the love and time a film deserves, but I suspect these films are rushed out and they probably have re-shoots as the story doesn't make sense or similar. 

Then they put it out on the date no matter what state it is in.

In 2023,  the CGI perfection should be a given I would have thought but it's quantity that is important for Marvel IMO.

I think it's been rumoured that the quality of CGI in the Marvel/Disney films has gone down hill because a number of these effects studios are declining to work with them. Apparently due to them throwing their size around and generally overworking and underpaying for the work done.

There have been some shots I looked at and thought "how did that pass quality control?" - Like the floating head thing in the most recent Thor film.

• Like 1

The last of us podcast made it sound like the industry is struggling for numbers in general and the influx of demand from TV had made it even worse - or better from the Vfx studio perspective as they can be more selective with regards to their clients

If marvel over work and under pay then they now have more options with alternatives

4 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

They should have stopped after Infinity War / Endgame, the quality of their output is dreadful in comparison. 

Totally agree with this. Nothing released since is anywhere near the quality of those 2 films.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Yeah, and ITV bought Friends Reunited for 175 million, doesn't mean it was a good investment.

The watering down of everything further to create content for their streaming services hasn't helped either.

Based on recent success for Marvel they might think they can do no wrong but the good will only lasts so long, if the films continue to be consistently crap people will be turned off them.

• Like 1

Phase 4 wasn't great but I wouldn't say it was crap. It suffers from being an epilogue to a huge event, combined with some building of the next phase and a lot of new characters.

Black Widow - decent film, but it's a side story that doesn't really achieve much beyond introducing a new character.

Shang-chi - solid character origin, probably doesn't quite hit the highs you'd want from Marvel does kung fu/Chinese mythology.

Eternals - crap.

Spider-Man: No Way Home - fan service, but really bloody good fan service

Doctor Strange 2 - wastes its rubbish concept, but a solid film with a very good villain and nice Raimi style. Plus that fun my first horror movie thing.

Thor 4 - too much the comedy, wastes its villain, wastes the Mighty Thor storyline, but isn't inherently bad - it's a fun ride, if too silly.

Black Panther 2 - way too long, messy, action is all over the shop, has whole plot lines that you could bin, badly misses Boseman, but under all the rubbish bolted on is a solid movie.

None of them are amazing, but they're mostly solid.

Â