Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

• 3 weeks later...

Just got round to black panther 2

Sorry for me was abit meh.way too long, stpryline waz poor and just think the " new black panther" just didn't feel right too me.

I hope they are leaving it there and there is no others unless its a complete reboot but i think they should retire it for chadwick. He played the role so well cant see anyone topping him.

Finally got around to watching Wakanda Forever.

Enjoyed it much more than I anticipated. As expected it has a huge Chadwick shaped hole at its centre (very touching and respectful first five minutes btw) but even without him I found it entertaining and engaging, with some really good action set pieces and a really strong villain in Namor, who like Killmonger before him has an emotional weight and reasoning behind his actions.

So yeah, not top tier Marvel but very decent indeed.

12 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Finally got around to watching Wakanda Forever.

Enjoyed it much more than I anticipated. As expected it has a huge Chadwick shaped hole at its centre (very touching and respectful first five minutes btw) but even without him I found it entertaining and engaging, with some really good action set pieces and a really strong villain in Namor, who like Killmonger before him has an emotional weight and reasoning behind his actions.

So yeah, not top tier Marvel but very decent indeed.

The tribute at the start was excellent lovely.

The film itself was meh. It seemed to be a Wakanda vs superwater avatar feel to it. I didnt really enjoy it to be honest. Was always going to be tough to do this without chadwick. Must have been tough with the cast to film this. 

• Like 1

Also just watched Wakanda Forever. Some kinda instant hot take thoughts.

Err... Classic case of there being a good movie in there but it's lost a bit in all the stuff it wants to do.

There's a decent amount to like. Its got a lot of good performances, particularly Angela Bassett, Tenoch Huerta, Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong'o and Winston Duke. It does the eulogy thing quite well. It does this take on Namor pretty well. Its got some nice ideas to build a plot around - vibranium as simultaneously a nuke and oil allegory. Its got a really good soundtrack. It has a good cameo moment. And it's commendably female lead.

Unfortunately there's a fair amount of weak stuff in there as well. The film has an (interesting) theme around Shuri coming to terms with failure, responsibility, power, but it kinda never commits to it, and does the barest amount with it, which is disappointing. Letitia Wright doesn't have the presence, gravitas... to carry the film when she needs to. Her take on Shuri before was a comic relief Q style supporting character, which works well, but then she doesn't transfer that to a compelling more nuanced character.

It also has 2 plots that really shouldn't be there and exist only to further the wider franchise, in a bad way - Riri Williams and the whole Ross thing could be ripped from the script and change nothing, and neither plot is good enough to warrant their inclusion. The Williams plot actually undermines the driving narrative if you think for a second about it.

Its action is quite bad, with the nadir being the finale which feels half arsed, half baked and half finished. We get a rubbish CGI fest with some really weird non-physics that seems to exist because 'it's what we do' and a pretty rubbish 1 on 1 fight, which they then cut between in a way that serves only to have the action be even worse.

And while I understand the point of the scenes used to set up Namor's kingdom, they absolutely knacker the pacing. This is a film that is long and it feels long, and you start to feel it right when we get the Namor's people's backstory and world building sections.

There's obviously a big Boseman shaped hole in the film. We get a moment where the Panther returns. But they didn't return.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Also just watched Wakanda Forever. Some kinda instant hot take thoughts.

Err... Classic case of there being a good movie in there but it's lost a bit in all the stuff it wants to do.

There's a decent amount to like. Its got a lot of good performances, particularly Angela Bassett, Tenoch Huerta, Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong'o and Winston Duke. It does the eulogy thing quite well. It does this take on Namor pretty well. Its got some nice ideas to build a plot around - vibranium as simultaneously a nuke and oil allegory. Its got a really good soundtrack. It has a good cameo moment. And it's commendably female lead.

Unfortunately there's a fair amount of weak stuff in there as well. The film has an (interesting) theme around Shuri coming to terms with failure, responsibility, power, but it kinda never commits to it, and does the barest amount with it, which is disappointing. Letitia Wright doesn't have the presence, gravitas... to carry the film when she needs to. Her take on Shuri before was a comic relief Q style supporting character, which works well, but then she doesn't transfer that to a compelling more nuanced character.

It also has 2 plots that really shouldn't be there and exist only to further the wider franchise, in a bad way - Riri Williams and the whole Ross thing could be ripped from the script and change nothing, and neither plot is good enough to warrant their inclusion. The Williams plot actually undermines the driving narrative if you think for a second about it.

Its action is quite bad, with the nadir being the finale which feels half arsed, half baked and half finished. We get a rubbish CGI fest with some really weird non-physics that seems to exist because 'it's what we do' and a pretty rubbish 1 on 1 fight, which they then cut between in a way that serves only to have the action be even worse.

And while I understand the point of the scenes used to set up Namor's kingdom, they absolutely knacker the pacing. This is a film that is long and it feels long, and you start to feel it right when we get the Namor's people's backstory and world building sections.

There's obviously a big Boseman shaped hole in the film. We get a moment where the Panther returns. But they didn't return.

Good summary and agree with all of it.  I too thought CGI was garbage as was the fight battles.

Its not just chadiwck boseman the 1st one was so good a sequel was always going to be hard to top even with him. I think they should have just let it rest at 2 but now a number 3 coming. I bet that one flops more than the 2nd. Wouldnt suprise me if they incorporate some more marvel charchters onto the 3rd one to try make it more interesting.

I think the new ant man will be a lot better than this

22 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Watched Wakanda Forever. Didn't really enjoy it to be honest and very quickly going off the MCU. Don't think any of them have been top notch since Infinity War.

Yeah i agree. I think spiderman 3 was good, also liked dr strange 2.

But black panther 2 was meh, the new thor was atrocious 

• Like 1

Its biggest problem IMO isn't the lack of boseman it's the inclusion of Iron heart, terrible character and an awful plot device that isn't just underdeveloped (in a 3 hour long film...) it's rushed and doesn't work or make a whole lot of sense, she feels like a DCU character not Namor!

There's some decent stuff in it, a lot of good acting, mbaku and okoye are brilliant but then because they've also underdeveloped the whole phase I can't shake the thought that they're just aimlessly throwing characters at viewers hoping something sticks, again going back to iron heart Tony's gone here's the exact same thing... Its hard not to be overly cynical at this film, as it stands right now it doesn't need to exist beyond the fact that number 1 was crazy successful

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i agree. I think spiderman 3 was good, also liked dr strange 2.

But black panther 2 was meh, the new thor was atrocious 

I'd forgotten about No Way Home (which kinda says a lot). I really enjoyed it on first viewing but then watched it again and it just felt clunky as the nostalgia was gone. Its still better than the rest that's come out recently. 

Dr Strange 2 was okay but could have been so much more. Comparing it to Everything, Everywhere all at Once probably doesn't help.

The TV shows have probably better than the films but aren't great.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its biggest problem IMO isn't the lack of boseman it's the inclusion of Iron heart, terrible character and an awful plot device that isn't just underdeveloped (in a 3 hour long film...) it's rushed and doesn't work or make a whole lot of sense, she feels like a DCU character not Namor!

There's some decent stuff in it, a lot of good acting, mbaku and okoye are brilliant but then because they've also underdeveloped the whole phase I can't shake the thought that they're just aimlessly throwing characters at viewers hoping something sticks, again going back to iron heart Tony's gone here's the exact same thing... Its hard not to be overly cynical at this film, as it stands right now it doesn't need to exist beyond the fact that number 1 was crazy successful

I think its both but bosemans presence is clearly missed in this film in my opinion

On 05/02/2023 at 23:19, villa4europe said:

• Like 3

On 05/02/2023 at 20:30, Rds1983 said:

Watched Wakanda Forever. Didn't really enjoy it to be honest and very quickly going off the MCU. Don't think any of them have been top notch since Infinity War.

This. I think the two era defining cinematic events for me have been Endgame and LOTR:ROTK. Neither the subsequent hobbit films, or MCU output gas done much for me, although I did like WandaVision. 

I just this weekend got round to buying No way home (I have Disney+ but damn you Sony!). Watched half but the kids were going mental, so I'll have to rewatch. Seemed good from what I could see while popcorn and yoghurt were being flung at my head. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

This. I think the two era defining cinematic events for me have been Endgame and LOTR:ROTK. Neither the subsequent hobbit films, or MCU output gas done much for me, although I did like WandaVision. 

I just this weekend got round to buying No way home (I have Disney+ but damn you Sony!). Watched half but the kids were going mental, so I'll have to rewatch. Seemed good from what I could see while popcorn and yoghurt were being flung at my head. 

It's great. It's one of my favourite recent cinema experiences and definitely one of the best MCU films. If you liked Wandavision plenty of the other TV shows are just as good. Loki for a start.

(Except for Moon Knight. Moon Knight was awful)

• Thanks 1

Â