Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Guardians 3 first reactions are out. Though not many of them, probably because they come from the European first showings. And as ever it's very rare for these to be particularly critical. But regardless it's pretty universal acclaim, best movie in the MCU since Endgame apparently (not a high bar), typically funny but also emotional, a good end to the trilogy of Guardians films, etc etc. And apparently Adam Warlock is a good addition.

Which is nice.

• Like 4

Quantumania is on disney+ may 17th

Ive watched bits of it 3 times now, on about the 45th minute, it's weirdly absolutely **** terrible and has its moments at the same time, I just can't be bothered with it

Not a clue what's going on with the CGI, it's really poor and even George Lucas thinks it's too much green screen

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Ive watched bits of it 3 times now, on about the 45th minute, it's weirdly absolutely **** terrible and has its moments at the same time, I just can't be bothered with it

Not a clue what's going on with the CGI, it's really poor and even George Lucas thinks it's too much green screen

The studio doing the CGI had to also do the CGI for Wakanda 2 at the same time and on limited resources.

Wakanda was focused on more. 

On 27/04/2023 at 22:42, villa4europe said:

Watching more of it

Them having to do a flashback sequence to explain MODOK sums up how stupid an idea that is, fuxking awful

Finished ant man

Yeah it's just not very good is it? No real redeeming features, he's not a good character, kang is OK at a push, looked shite in places, no humour, they took Luiz out of it, no threat or care as to what happened to any of them, modok was terrible

No doubt GotG will be at least good but they're miles off where they were with endgame, undine so much hard work, I don't think they're must see anymore

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think they're must see anymore

I don’t really watch any of these films. I’ve seen a few, they’re alright. 

But I am kinda more interested in the machine of it all. The peaks and troughs of it, building storylines to reach a particular point, keeping the various plates spinning. I find that curious, how they go about it.

From the outside looking in (and I can’t stress my outside-ness enough here) it does come across like the wheels are spinning somewhat. There was an unstoppable juggernaut feeling to it previously. 

That really doesn’t seem to be the case now, since Endgame and that Spider-Man film with all the various spider-men, it comes across like it’s a little lost. The most recent black panther film was criticised, likewise the dr strange sequel and that eternals film. Just looked at a list of these films, I’ve never heard of “Shang-Chi” so that one passed me by. No idea about the Thor film, I assume people liked it because people like Thor. 

At the very least, they’re seemingly not as hyped or as traffic stopping events as they have been. One of the biggest criticisms of all these films was the ubiquity of them, the supposed inability to escape them. I didn’t know this Ant Man film was released until reading this page.

• Like 1

It is seriously impressive how they built up to endgame and pulled it all off

Maybe hard to judge what came next negatively in comparison to one of the greatest film series in history... But in this phase they've had some outright bad films regardless of the world building and bigger picture, whilst at the same time diversifying I'm directions that cheapen the whole thing because not only are they not very good or boring but it's pissed me off that theyve done things like ms marvel and I "have" to watch it, I'm leaning closer to not caring about any of it

Guardians 3 has reviewed pretty well. Not slam dunk good but pretty well - 8/10 stuff. Which is probably what I'd expect after the second one, which is really tonally bizarre imo.

Supposedly quite dark and gory for Marvel, it's also a finale for the characters. And is appropriately emotional. From what I've heard of the plot it tells Rocket's origin story and the clips of that look devastating.

I'll watch it once it's on Disney+.

Im.suprised no one liked ant man i thought it was pretty good. Kang was a good villian

Spoiler

Also the mid credit scene with loki was really interesting as sets up for the next season

The end was even better with all the kangs. Seems like that might be heading towards a end game style battle with new avengers

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Guardians 3 has reviewed pretty well. Not slam dunk good but pretty well - 8/10 stuff. Which is probably what I'd expect after the second one, which is really tonally bizarre imo.

Supposedly quite dark and gory for Marvel, it's also a finale for the characters. And is appropriately emotional. From what I've heard of the plot it tells Rocket's origin story and the clips of that look devastating.

I'll watch it once it's on Disney+.

Just got back in from watching it.

Yeah, it's pretty decent and better than most things Marvel have produced recently. It's pretty patchy though and some of the sentimentality is dangerously close to mawkish (although I did get it in the feels a couple of times).

There's some very good set pieces including a beautiful 'one shot' action scene towards the end of the movie that I thought was terrific. 

Not top tier Marvel by any stretch but much better than the last Ant Man and Thor movies.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Guardians 3, I loved it (I’ll caveat that Guardians 1 is my favourite marvel film so I have high thoughts on the guardians team). It’s by far and away the best marvel film since End Game (admittedly that’s a low bar). James Gunn has played it well. It’s got some emotional pull, it’s got some laughs, it’s got action. Great arc for the Guardians characters. 

Edited by mikeyp102

Suprised people liked guardians 3. I thought it was meh. Preferred ant man 3.

It just went on for too long. I know this is expected froma  guardians film but didnt enjoy it that much

Also the post credit scenes are getting so bad the one at the end was just pointless 

• 1 month later...

Secret Invasion first reviews are out, based on the first 2 episodes.

It's fine apparently.

The reviews seem to suggest it's a solid show that goes back to the Winter Soldier tone, but also that the show doesn't really grasp what the cool thing about Secret Invasion is (...yet. Maybe). It's also, as anticipated, hinting towards a development that people who like some of the characters this deals with will be hoping to see.

Samuel L Jackson and Olivia Coleman are the repeated standouts on the acting front from the reviewers, which is nice, and they've avoided making it a 'superhero' show with only 1 short appearance and some references to the super characters apparently.

I'll be watching but strapped in for disappointment.

Â