New Manager Speculation

maqroll

6 hours ago, villakram said:

Will it be more fun than Bruce? It is just a game and a football club. I'd like it to be fun again, remember when Villa used to be fun?

This is year 8.

Year 8? Villa were dire in last 18 months of MON reign and was dull football so lot longer than that

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Year 8? Villa were dire in last 18 months of MON reign and was dull football so lot longer than that

Dire in the last 18 months? Historical revisionism. Two 6th places in that time. We weren't playing total football sure, but to claim we were dire is absurd. Milner was a joy to watch in that last season.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Dire in the last 18 months? Historical revisionism. Two 6th places in that time. We weren't playing total football sure, but to claim we were dire is absurd. Milner was a joy to watch in that last season.

we player some shit football after the 2009 collapse. I remember a couple of Spurs games we never left our half and some games vs Wigan they got results of us and a Burnely game we needed a 90th minute equaliser from Heskey for example. We might have won a lot of games but football was dire

Edited by Zatman

17 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This may be a controversial view but I still believe Houllier would've turned out pretty well had he not had a recurrence of his heart problems. He at least seemed to be trying to take us in the right direction.

Garde unfortunately is almost impossible to judge properly due to the shit Sherwood left us in and the absolutely poisonous nature of that squad at the time.

Well what we can say about Garde is that he's not the guy to turn around a poisonous dressing room.

Houllier was trying to get us playing better football for sure, but the reality was that he was well on his way to relegating us before the heart problems. Wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Well what we can say about Garde is that he's not the guy to turn around a poisonous dressing room.

Houllier was trying to get us playing better football for sure, but the reality was that he was well on his way to relegating us before the heart problems. Wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He could well have been in the wrong place at the wrong time but in fairness, we were virtually safe by the time he had to step back due to his health.

We didn't pull away to safety until he'd taken a step back and McAllister had taken the reins. I think Houllier just tried to change way too much way too quickly, we simply didn't have the players to do what he wanted to do.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have a feeling under Henry we will be terrible defensively 

Make no sense changing manager 2 weeks before season starts.

Will be the Sherwood high line but worse as Championship players be tearing us apart 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think we were safe. We won last 2 games when he was gone which made it look more comfortable season 

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

We didn't pull away to safety until he'd taken a step back and McAllister had taken the reins. I think Houllier just tried to change way too much way too quickly, we simply didn't have the players to do what he wanted to do.

No, we were. It happened after the game at West Ham which we won in stoppage time. Look at the table snapshot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9455649.stm

Not mathematically safe of course but by the time McAllister took over, relegation was never even close to likely.

Although I agree that he probably tried to change too much too quickly.

• Like 1

It's very rare that there's mass hysteria from the media about a managerial replacement, but usually when there is they are usually wrong.

I remember the media going crazy about Southampton replacing Adkins with Pochettino, look how that turned out.
I also remember the media going OTT when Watford appointed Silva, and he did alright.

So the fact that the media seem to be outraged again kinda makes me want us to hire Henry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

No, we were. It happened after the game at West Ham which we won in stoppage time. Look at the table snapshot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9455649.stm

Not mathematically safe of course but by the time McAllister took over, relegation was never even close to likely.

Although I agree that he probably tried to change too much too quickly.

Yes, that's right. I remember the Wet Spam game well and vividly remember collapsing in relief at the final whistle. 

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Kinda disappointed we haven't heard anything one way or the other.  Not only on Bruce but on transfers (more importantly Grealish).

I'm led to believe that no transfers will happen as we are under due diligence.... but yes frustrating on the Bruce front 

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

we player some shit football after the 2009 collapse. I remember a couple of Spurs games we never left our half and some games vs Wigan they got results of us and a Burnely game we needed a 90th minute equaliser from Heskey for example. We might have won a lot of games but football was dire

Fulham at home that season sticks out for me. Never had a single shot on goal under the self-proclaim genius... I mean poisoned leprechaun.