Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

Thinking about it, he does put some quality crosses in sometimes, think I might have changed my mind, I suppose I want to go down the youth angle, with a smattering of experience, for me last year there was too much experience and not enough legs, I do think this could become Andre Greens season, and if we keep Jack, and start to use some of the young talent that it looks we might have, then maybe Snodgrass, on big wages, might get in their way.

I’m glad Sawiris and Edens read my post the other day about going down the Mendes route :D It makes perfect sense to me.

We’ve seemingly found a way to appease the EFL around our FFP woes, so now we just have to strengthen the squad without spending big. The best way to do that is bring in quality players for a tiny fraction of what they’re worth. A cheap loan (with, presumably a perfectly acceptable (to the EFL) separate vehicle to pay the rest of what they’re worth, which slips through separate from our accounts :ph34r: I guess?) for a Premier League quality player sounds good to me.

I wonder whether the EFL will regret ‘okay’ing this system, as now Forest and us (and probably more clubs in the future) will do it, filling the league with international talent while the English yoof suffer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Yes please to snoddy. Quality at this level and knows the team inside out.

No brainer for me!

Having green on the other side with his pace would be perfect.

I’m a snoddy fan, just going to say it! Hope we get him in as he’s good, and works very hard for the team. And seemed to love Villa!

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don’t really care about the shares - I’d just rather Villa weren’t a shop window club for young players under an agents’ influence. Call me old fashioned, but I quite like seeing Grealish, Green et al come through the ranks and developing “our own”. 

We can still do that, Wolves had likes of Doherty and Danny Batth still playing a fair amount of games last season as did Morgan Gibbs White who's their bright young hope.

Don't really see what the difference is between this approach and signing old players like Whelan, Terry, AEM on short deals.

Our regular team that finished last season had 3/4 season long loans and also Terry who was pretty much a one year loan aswell.

Edited by VillaChris

We don’t have an abundance of wingers, so a player who genuinely likes the club, chips in with his fair share of goals and assists and is generally thought of as being a positive influence on the dressing is fine by me.

Plus it’s Villa, one of Green or Adomah is clearly going to get injured this season.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I know its not a popular view, but I'm not over convinced about Snodgrass. I think he is too slow on the ball, slows the game down too much, and rarely picks a quality pass out. I like Green, and would like to see how O'Hare develops, and would like him in the team alongside Jack sometimes. The big signings for me are central midfield, and central defence, for me that's why we failed to go up last year, not enough energy or movement, or pace in the middle of the pitch, I would definitely try and get Alex T back on loan, either to play in central defence, or preferably for me, a holding central midfielder behind Jack, and probably Houirahane.

I would build the team around Jack and Green tbh, and that might mean playing Hogan or Davis up front as well.

What happened to that young 6'6 French lad we bought?

Snodgrass will deliver over the course of the season but he did show that he can be inconsistent and he was really just awful in the play off final. Personally I want someone younger and with more pace, we need to be a lot more dynamic going forward and Snodgrass doesn't fit that bill. 

I wouldn't exactly no to us resigning him but I'd rather we go in another direction.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I’d take Snodgrass back but I’d also like another option.. yes I’m being greedy.

I don't think we should seek options for players who will be 32 years old at the point of signing them. We need to be a lot smarter with our transfers. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The best way to do that is bring in quality players for a tiny fraction of what they’re worth. 

Levy had been trying to do exactly that with us when he was looking to take Jack off our hands.;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warnock said:

Let’s not forget BB plays left side for Iceland. Having the option of him, Green, Snodgrass and Adomah again is enough. 

I'd like to forget all of the performances he has put in for us in that position, has looked shit everywhere apart from central midfield. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't think we should seek options for players who will be 32 years old at the point of signing them. We need to be a lot smarter with our transfers. 

Sort of agree I actually would like someone with a bit more pace too. To be honest I’m not even sure where he fits in if Bruce sticks with the formation he has in pre season.

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd like to forget all of the performances he has put in for us in that position, has looked shit everywhere apart from central midfield. 

He won’t play central midfielder though. Bruce would soon rather play Whelan over him which is a disgrace. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Sort of agree I actually would like someone with a bit more pace too. To be honest I’m not even sure where he fits in if Bruce sticks with the formation he has in pre season.

I agree, we are a pretty slow team over all. An injection of pace particularly up front would be welcome. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Warnock said:

Let’s not forget BB plays left side for Iceland. Having the option of him, Green, Snodgrass and Adomah again is enough. 

That's because all Iceland ask is to be compact and run around. He is soo limited and not very skilled.

Â