Jump to content
Stevo985

The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

By today’s standards yeah sure, it was a foul but was it actually a foul or did origi purposely throw himself to the ground upon feeling a bit of contact? That for me is still diving, plus it’s Liverpool so I really don’t feel sympathy for them ha

The slow-mo you can see a kick to his calf before he even goes down

It was so obvious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant stand it. My 6 year old barely celebrated the Grealish equaliser, as did many around us. He said to me that we need to check with var to see if it's a goal.

Is it just here now, and we're going to see variations of it. Or is there a chance it'll be scrapped?

We've gone from the odd game having the major talking points being officials decisions, to every game having its major talking point being the officials decision. Surely that's the opposite of its intention? 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2019 at 12:35, PieFacE said:

The worst argument against VAR is "Players will stop celebrating when they score a goal and will wait for VAR to approve it" ... no they won't. They'll only do that if they know they've done something they shouldn't have, to which it will likely and rightly be disallowed. Though, that didn't seem to even be the case for Wilson yesterday who would have known full well he fouled someone. 

Not really a valid point this after qtachingbyesterday. Perfect goal disallowed grealish scores fans don't know if they can celebrate after the last one was wrongly taken off. 

The celebration for grealishes was not as intense as conors. Var is robbing us of enjoyment of goals.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate it. 
might ask Santa to cancel it as my main Christmas present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There seems to be a modern crop of fans who get off more on decisions being right, regardless of the impact. I still feel that VAR if implemented correctly is the right route however I'm just not confident that it can ever be implemented correctly. Also it's clear that it saps away from the excitement of games. So far it has delivered absolutely no benefit to football from any perspective.

I rather decisions be right (on average) and have to wait 10 seconds to find out than be shafted by shit refs every week.

Of course we're still being shafted by shit refs every week with VAR. I'd be so much more content with the World Cup implementation than whatever this abortion is. As it stands, just bin it until they figure it out and get better refs because it might even be a net negative at this point.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a disaster and has the potential to kill the atmosphere that makes football games so special.

I Would rather get rid of it and live with the bad decisions,  us as Villa fans have seen more than our  fair share of them but at least we knew we could celebrate goals. 

Man U fans today celebrated the Lpool disallowed goal more than they did their own goal, ridiculous situation.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

In one afternoon.

Every week, the same shit.

I still think they implemented it badly just to say 'we tried it, it didn't work' so they can get rid of it.

I was just about to post this very thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tinker said:

 

Man U fans today celebrated the Lpool disallowed goal more than they did their own goal, ridiculous situation.  

Exactly so. The Brighton fans were celebrating our gal getting taken off more than their goal.

Keep goal line technology dump VAR. It sucks just like I said it would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with the Man U one is even if it was a foul there was still a lot to do. Liverpool should have played to the whistle but their defence switched off. It was a ref error but I don’t Var should have overturned it. Not clear and obvious error for me so it shouldn’t get overturned. 

The one against us wasn’t even a foul let alone a clear and obvious one. Plus it didn’t even directly lead to a goal, we had to win the ball back first. It was an outrageous decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not really a valid point this after qtachingbyesterday. Perfect goal disallowed grealish scores fans don't know if they can celebrate after the last one was wrongly taken off. 

The celebration for grealishes was not as intense as conors. Var is robbing us of enjoyment of goals.

I think it definitely has an impact on fans celebrating a goal. As I definitely felt a little reserved after Grealish scored yesterday. I don't think players will stop celebrating though, but who knows. They might do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think it definitely has an impact on fans celebrating a goal. As I definitely felt a little reserved after Grealish scored yesterday. I don't think players will stop celebrating though, but who knows. They might do. 

I don't see the issue really. Goals are ruled off for offside all the time for example. Players celebrating and finding out their goal doesn't count after the fact predates VAR tbh.

How many times have we seen a ref give a goal only to be told by the linesman over the earpiece that there was an infringement, after which he goes over to him to discuss and eventually rules out the goal? Players should just play to the whistle/call regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't see the issue really. Goals are ruled off for offside all the time for example. Players celebrating and finding out their goal doesn't count after the fact predates VAR tbh.

How many times have we seen a ref give a goal only to be told by the linesman over the earpiece that there was an infringement, after which he goes over to him to discuss and eventually rules out the goal? Players should just play to the whistle/call regardless.

It’s happened 3 times to us already in 9 games. Ok first one didn’t even get to VAR but that’s still a pretty high ratio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't see the issue really. Goals are ruled off for offside all the time for example. Players celebrating and finding out their goal doesn't count after the fact predates VAR tbh.

How many times have we seen a ref give a goal only to be told by the linesman over the earpiece that there was an infringement, after which he goes over to him to discuss and eventually rules out the goal? Players should just play to the whistle/call regardless.

I don’t think you get it man, there’s a massive difference to celebrating for a minute and getting ready for a restart than glancing across at a lino instantly with their flag up.

A massive difference, for fans and players 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t think you get it man, there’s a massive difference to celebrating for a minute and getting ready for a restart than glancing across at a lino instantly with their flag up.

A massive difference, for fans and players 

A 20 second difference, sure. That was just 1 scenario. I've seen goals overturned by linesmen due to infractions not too dissimilar to Wesley's yesterday take just as long. We've seen it happen to us so many times. Ref walks over, linesman tells him there was an elbow, shirt pulling etc etc. The player's have already finished celebrating by the time the goal is chalked off.

There was the playoff match last season between Derby and Leeds where Derby were awarded a penalty and then it was overturned after over a minute of discussion while the player already placed the ball on the spot, ready to take it.

VAR or no VAR, there was always the threat of a decision being reversed, and frankly it was always a weak argument against it, especially now that there's all this evidence of VAR being a huge cock up anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am confused by Liverpool whining, lindelof barely touched Origi who went down pathetically

Oh wait its liverpool makes sense now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I am confused by Liverpool whining, lindelof barely touched Origi who went down pathetically

Oh wait its liverpool makes sense now

Caught him clear on the ankle. That was a foul imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

A 20 second difference, sure. That was just 1 scenario. I've seen goals overturned by linesmen due to infractions not too dissimilar to Wesley's yesterday take just as long. We've seen it happen to us so many times. Ref walks over, linesman tells him there was an elbow, shirt pulling etc etc. The player's have already finished celebrating by the time the goal is chalked off.

There was the playoff match last season between Derby and Leeds where Derby were awarded a penalty and then it was overturned after over a minute of discussion while the player already placed the ball on the spot, ready to take it.

VAR or no VAR, there was always the threat of a decision being reversed, and frankly it was always a weak argument against it, especially now that there's all this evidence of VAR being a huge cock up anyway.

They were few and far between in reality, probably less than 1% of all goals scored, now it’s every week without fail, it’s just not comparable in my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am confused by Liverpool whining, lindelof barely touched Origi who went down pathetically

Oh wait its liverpool makes sense now

It’s a foul. There’s zero contact with the ball and he kicks Origi from behind. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

A 20 second difference, sure. That was just 1 scenario. I've seen goals overturned by linesmen due to infractions not too dissimilar to Wesley's yesterday take just as long. We've seen it happen to us so many times. Ref walks over, linesman tells him there was an elbow, shirt pulling etc etc. The player's have already finished celebrating by the time the goal is chalked off.

There was the playoff match last season between Derby and Leeds where Derby were awarded a penalty and then it was overturned after over a minute of discussion while the player already placed the ball on the spot, ready to take it.

VAR or no VAR, there was always the threat of a decision being reversed, and frankly it was always a weak argument against it, especially now that there's all this evidence of VAR being a huge cock up anyway.

There is no comparison flags go up very quickly. We have to wait to see if goal stands. We are being robbed of vital goals like the targett goal.

People woukd have gone mental like Everton el ghazi goal. But after what happened people had to wait. 

Imagine that happened in the Sheffield United home game like last season? VAR sucks.  Dump it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â