The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

14 hours ago, turvontour said:

Cant stand it. My 6 year old barely celebrated the Grealish equaliser, as did many around us. He said to me that we need to check with var to see if it's a goal.

Is it just here now, and we're going to see variations of it. Or is there a chance it'll be scrapped?

We've gone from the odd game having the major talking points being officials decisions, to every game having its major talking point being the officials decision. Surely that's the opposite of its intention? 

This. I don't even celebrate goals anymore, I celebrate if VAR clears it. Just ridiculous. 

I thought VAR would be a tool for the refereres to correct mistakes. Instead it's become the biggest noise in the game. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't see the issue really. Goals are ruled off for offside all the time for example. Players celebrating and finding out their goal doesn't count after the fact predates VAR tbh.

How many times have we seen a ref give a goal only to be told by the linesman over the earpiece that there was an infringement, after which he goes over to him to discuss and eventually rules out the goal? Players should just play to the whistle/call regardless.

Which we can see as it happens.

Im staggered you think this is the same. It really really isn’t.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id rather Take the human mistake than the var mistake. It's not done us any good but kill the enjoyment just like I said before the season started.

VAR mistake is a human mistake.

Refs are poor, watch a decision in slow motion and get it wrong, simple as. 

• Like 1

I am now firmly behind the **** OFF VAR movement. The Burnley disallowed goal was another absurdly farcical decision. It's ruined goal celebrations and the art of scoring goals, where one vague angle can give a whiff of not a foul but "contact" to rule it out. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It’s a foul. There’s zero contact with the ball and he kicks Origi from behind. 

But this is the problem with VAR isn't it - almost all instances can be subjective.

See I don't think it was a foul on Origi, I think he felt the slightest of contact and threw himself to the ground thus diving.

It's opinions and it's opinions in a split second - it should just stay that way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But this is the problem with VAR isn't it - almost all instances can be subjective.

See I don't think it was a foul on Origi, I think he felt the slightest of contact and threw himself to the ground thus diving.

It's opinions and it's opinions in a split second - it should just stay that way.

and then comes the consistency part

2 weeks ago vs Leicester a brush of contact and then an unnatural throwing themselves to the ground won Liverpool a match winning penalty 

grealish "dive" vs what he did for the winning goal on Saturday...different people see different things, even with the assistance of VAR

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

and then comes the consistency part

2 weeks ago vs Leicester a brush of contact and then an unnatural throwing themselves to the ground won Liverpool a match winning penalty 

grealish "dive" vs what he did for the winning goal on Saturday...different people see different things, even with the assistance of VAR

Yep, there was enough 'proof' to disallow Hourihane's goal but not enough to disallow Rashfords, despite there being about the same amount of contact.

VAR is also supposed to only overturn a clear and obvious error, what was clear and obvious about Wesley's challenge on the keeper, it took 3 replays to see he'd made slight contact with his arm

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, there was enough 'proof' to disallow Hourihane's goal but not enough to disallow Rashfords, despite there being about the same amount of contact.

VAR is also supposed to only overturn a clear and obvious error, what was clear and obvious about Wesley's challenge on the keeper, it took 3 replays to see he'd made slight contact with his arm

I'm almost leaning towards a challenge based system where the opposition manager can have the actual ref on the pitch review 3 incidents a game once the ball is out of play.

And honestly, I don't think Brighton would have even challenged for Hourihanes goal on Saturday, certainly none of the players on the pitch thought there was a foul.

I was very pro video assistance for many years before VAR. 

I'm now very anti-VAR. 

I'm not sure if its because this implementation of VAR is so bad, or if video assistance is actually impossible to implement well.

as a couple have said, i also was very pro-VAR before the season started. the talks from the refs were "we're not going to re-referee, we're going to stop the absolute clangers". well wesleys was not a clanger. nor was the burnley goal. it's as if they looked for any slight reason to disallow them...as if they've been told to lower the bar. there was SLIGHT contact for the burnley goal. there was SLIGHT contact from wesley. but in both cases goals would've been scored irrespective of the contacts being made. common sense has gone completely out the window.

i kinda agree with it being used for offsides. whether it's a millimeter offside or not, it's still offside, so i've no qualms about that. but these subjective decisions have to stop. tear it up and start again, but actually practice what they preached about only using it for CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERRORS!!!

i feel for those that say they wont celebrate goals anymore...i wont let anything stop me celebrating and nor should you. what's the worst that can happen? look a bit silly for celebrating a goal that gets disallowed and opposition fans going 'wahhaay' at you?

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

as a couple have said, i also was very pro-VAR before the season started. the talks from the refs were "we're not going to re-referee, we're going to stop the absolute clangers". well wesleys was not a clanger. nor was the burnley goal. it's as if they looked for any slight reason to disallow them...as if they've been told to lower the bar. there was SLIGHT contact for the burnley goal. there was SLIGHT contact from wesley. but in both cases goals would've been scored irrespective of the contacts being made. common sense has gone completely out the window.

i kinda agree with it being used for offsides. whether it's a millimeter offside or not, it's still offside, so i've no qualms about that. but these subjective decisions have to stop. tear it up and start again, but actually practice what they preached about only using it for CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERRORS!!!

i feel for those that say they wont celebrate goals anymore...i wont let anything stop me celebrating and nor should you. what's the worst that can happen? look a bit silly for celebrating a goal that gets disallowed and opposition fans going 'wahhaay' at you?

It’s not as simple as that though is it? It’s systematic so yeah sure, maybe the first 3, 4 or 5 times it happens you still celebrate but what about by the 20th time it happens, you’re telling me you’ll still celebrate just as wildly or will you immediately consider whether or not it will stand? 

It’s just not football and it has the possibility of being the straw to break the camels back in terms of what it’s like to be a football fan these days, we’ve had to accept exorbitant amounts of money on transfers and wages, we’ve had to accept matches being played on strange days at strange times for TV purposes, we’ve had to accept total incompetence and corruption at the highest level for years but now the fabric of what football means to people is being messed with and I’m not sure that it won’t seriously begin to diminish interest.

10 years from now you’ll be hearing parents telling their kids on the terraces about the good old days of just going nuts when the ball hit the back of the net instead of everyone craning their necks to look at a big TV screen waiting for authorisation to celebrate, desperately sad.

• Like 1

Basically it has turned the Premier League into a farce this season, and its not VAR its the idiots that are making the decisions. A foul is a foul, hand ball is handball, its up to the ref who looks at the screen to make the correct decision. its not hard!

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I was very pro video assistance for many years before VAR. 

I'm now very anti-VAR. 

I'm not sure if its because this implementation of VAR is so bad, or if video assistance is actually impossible to implement well.

VAR is the future. How the FA has implemented VAR is not. That simple. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s not as simple as that though is it? It’s systematic so yeah sure, maybe the first 3, 4 or 5 times it happens you still celebrate but what about by the 20th time it happens, you’re telling me you’ll still celebrate just as wildly or will you immediately consider whether or not it will stand? 

It’s just not football and it has the possibility of being the straw to break the camels back in terms of what it’s like to be a football fan these days, we’ve had to accept exorbitant amounts of money on transfers and wages, we’ve had to accept matches being played on strange days at strange times for TV purposes, we’ve had to accept total incompetence and corruption at the highest level for years but now the fabric of what football means to people is being messed with and I’m not sure that it won’t seriously begin to diminish interest.

10 years from now you’ll be hearing parents telling their kids on the terraces about the good old days of just going nuts when the ball hit the back of the net instead of everyone craning their necks to look at a big TV screen waiting for authorisation to celebrate, desperately sad.

ask me after we've been shafted 20 times! but yes i'd like to think so...i guess that's just defiance from my side, i wont let VAR affect my enjoyment. 94th minute winner Saturday...i went mad. i will NOT let this technology ruin those moments for me and nor should anyone else.

you choose to celebrate or you choose not to. you choose to tell your kids to celebrate in spite of the risk of it being overturned, or you choose to tell them to "wait for authorisation".

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Basically it has turned the Premier League into a farce this season, and its not VAR its the idiots that are making the decisions. A foul is a foul, hand ball is handball, its up to the ref who looks at the screen to make the correct decision. its not hard!

Well VAR is the guy watching the video, as in the Video Assistant Referee

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

There is no comparison flags go up very quickly. We have to wait to see if goal stands. We are being robbed of vital goals like the targett goal.

People woukd have gone mental like Everton el ghazi goal. But after what happened people had to wait. 

Imagine that happened in the Sheffield United home game like last season? VAR sucks.  Dump it.

i didn't notice that at all. around me (holte upper) everyone was going crazy

Â