The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

41 minutes ago, sne said:

To detect possible offsides on a molecular level not visible to the human eye  

Watching Suarez goal yesterday and he looked more offside than any of these Premier League decisions 

Not even sure they went to VAR

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Watching Suarez goal yesterday and he looked more offside than any of these Premier League decisions 

Not even sure they went to VAR

It's Barcelona against minnows.

VAR works a bit different in La Liga

Should they be giving offsides when they are so tight especially when the technology isn't there to show the exact point the ball is played. Should be like a sift signal system. If the linesman doesn't give it then it shouldn't be offside unless clear and obvious. 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I thought that too but haven't seen a proper replay of it

There was a lot of outrage yesterday at the time but VAR did its job, he was miles offside, it dis however highlight another problem... It was an easy decision, really easy and yet it took 2 minutes? 

No uproar about VAR today on here but this is a rare time its actually right

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Surprised no one brought it up tonight, the first positive use of VAR I have personally seen to date.

Though you really have to question the (in)competence of the linesman given that Aubemeyang was what - 4 or 5 yards onside?!

And yet it seems that our friend , Friend may have blown his whistle before Aubemeyang stuck it in the net so VAR shouldn’t have been used ...

Aubemeyang is saying he heard the whistle , and when he  sticks the ball away doesn’t celebrate and yet never looks in the linesmans direction to know a flag was up ( actually viewing it again maybe he does have a glance , hard to say for sure ) 

i have the clip as I recorded it on my phone to send to my Arsenal supporting brother , you can hear a noise , I couldn’t say 100% if it’s a whistle or not but there is a short sharp high pitch type noise ... 

Edited by tonyh29

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

And yet it seems that our friend , Friend may have blown his whistle before Aubemeyang stuck it in the net so VAR shouldn’t have been used ...

Aubemeyang is saying he heard the whistle , and when he  sticks the ball away doesn’t celebrate and yet never looks in the linesmans direction to know a flag was up ( actually viewing it again maybe he does have a glance , hard to say for sure ) 

i have the clip as I recorded it on my phone to send to my Arsenal supporting brother , you can hear a noise , I couldn’t say 100% if it’s a whistle or not but there is a short sharp high pitch type noise ... 

Friend did wait for the ball to go in before blowing the whistle.  There was a noise from the crowd that sounded a bit like a whistle.  The fact that Friend waited this time pisses me off the most after what he did to us.

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit confused by that goal to be honest. There are suggestions that the Man U players stopped when they saw the flag.

I'm not sure whether they did or not but they should be playing to the whistle I guess, especially now VAR is here. But what's the point in the linesman being there then?

I guess because VAR can't rule on every offside decision. Some people are suggesting the lino shouldn't raise the flag when it's a goal scoring opportunity, is that right? But who is to say what's going to lead to a goal?

Maybe I'm over thinking it, ultimately it led to the right decision and I'm all for VAR if that's what it's there for, but it all seems far too messy still and I imagine we're going to see a lot more controversy before it starts to get things right.

From what I remember reading the lino's in the PL have been instructed not to raise their flag but rather to let the situation play out and then check with VAR if there was anything wrong.

This time the lino did the opposite and raised his flag even thou Maguire was 5 meters below the Arsenal attacker and it wasn't even close to offside.

Hard to say if the Manure players switched off a bit or not (stupid if they did) but it's still a mess.

'

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sne said:

From what I remember reading the lino's in the PL have been instructed not to raise their flag but rather to let the situation play out and then check with VAR if there was anything wrong.

This time the lino did the opposite and raised his flag even thou Maguire was 5 meters below the Arsenal attacker and it wasn't even close to offside.

Hard to say if the Manure players switched off a bit or not (stupid if they did) but it's still a mess.

'

yeah lino will be getting a slap on the wrist for this because he a) shouldn't have raised his flag and b) a trained chimp could have seen that was on side

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Another VAR decision against us. It's pointless unless you're checking offside at this point. The FA should just admit it.

Yup. They should just rename it as an offside checker. It does nothing else.

And you know what, I'd be fine with that. Saves wasting time with them checking things and still not getting it right. 

Edited by PieFacE

Â