The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I hadn’t realised the was a VAR thread until today so sorry I am very late to the party with this. FWIW i hated the idea of VAR coming in perhaps with the exception of automatic goal line technology but for everything else I think it makes the game fundamentally worse and I can’t see any justification for it other than those who say at least we get the right decision in the end. 
I don’t think quiet often we do get the right decision most of the time because we still have incompetent arrogant refs watching a tv and being given another opportunity to make a wrong decision while in slow motion while taking 5 minutes out of the game. We seem to have accepted that because refs are really poor that’s a reason for VAR rather than saying your a shit ref get out the game and we will train up some competent refs. 

secondly if it does have to stay and is genuinely here to correct clear and obvious errors then give the VAR one additional look at real speed not slow mo as that shows a completely distorted vision of reality and context, if they then don’t see an error carry on. Nothing for me kills a game as a sporting piece of entertainment than the game stopping so a ref can go frame by frame back and forth looking for the faintest touch on the ball. Add into that the joy and spontaneous celebration that gets ripped out of the game when a goal is scored and sky are straight away going VAR will check that.

My real feel for it is the game wasn’t broken in the first place it was highly entertaining including the quirks of poor reffing and with VAR it’s less entertaining it’s more dull and personally I watch less football since VAR has been introduced, I watch every Villa game of course but I do watch less other games because it’s sucked the entertainment out of it for me.

I also don’t buy into the idea it works well in rugby and cricket either. In rugby I often end up turning it off when I’m watching a really good try scored and then the ref comes on the Mike and says can you check for a forward pass about 9 minutes ago in the first phase of play. Why but if you thought it was a forward pass blow up for a forward pass at the time. Cricket is a bit better because it’s stop start but still going to edgbaston to watch the test England get an lbw we all cheer and then the batter challenges the decision. So next time I don’t cheer when we get an edge or lbw because im waiting for it to be overturned.

sorry for the rant im just In the camp of I wasn’t aware football was broken before VAR and im in the camp if I’d rather be entertained than have every decision spot on especially when they are always still so subjective. I don’t believe refs cheat or are biased even though it looks like that sometime, I think they are just poor and they are still poor no matter how many replays they see.

• Like 2

Just posted in the Newcastle thread.

Newcastle should have had a blatant penalty where the goalkeeper takes out the forward. Ref doesn’t give it VAR checks it and also doesn’t give it. It’s remarkable it’s not really even a contentious decision. 

Has VAR Improved the game? Not in the slightest. 

• Like 2

One year it is there to overrule every decision. Get every non contentious decision right (or wrong) the next year he's there to be ignored or to agree with everything the referee does.

If it is used we just want the huge decisions like obvious penalties being given or obvious not penalties being retracted.

They've not got a **** clue what people want how to use it. We just happy a medium if it's here to stay.

They are a bunch of clowns. Middle aged useless rocket polishers not got a scooby doo how to utilise new tech to their benefit.

Get rid of the whole organisation.

• Like 4

Said in the weekend football thread but there are somehow more clear and obvious errors these days. It's incredible.

Every weekend there are 2/3 huge mistakes.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Unbelievable. And as for some of the excuses... "The ball was not under his control" for instance, since when is that a factor? Nowhere in the rules can I see any mention of where the ball is. Who's to say he wouldn't have dispossessed the defender and scored if he hadn't been wiped out? It was a clear and blatant penalty and and there can be no other conclusion drawn here other than the ref and/or the VAR official deliberately chose to ignore it.

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Unbelievable. And as for some of the excuses... "The ball was not under his control" for instance, since when is that a factor? Nowhere in the rules can I see any mention of where the ball is. Who's to say he wouldn't have dispossessed the defender and scored if he hadn't been wiped out? It was a clear and blatant penalty and and there can be no other conclusion drawn here other than the ref and/or the VAR official deliberately chose to ignore it.

Cash on Kane last season, the ball was rolling out and Kane stepped into his path. DIdn't hear that justification then...

• Like 3

Just now, jimmygreaves said:

Robertson yellow reviewed - red card.

Kane yellow not even looked at 

They’re both stonewall red cards to be fair. They’re the sort of fouls that you really shouldn’t need VAR for. How on earth a ref watches those challenges and doesn’t immediately go for his red card I have no idea.

The psychology of VAR is fascinating. They're making or not making shite decisions because they know if they're wrong they'll be corrected but then the VAR ref is too scared to correct it leading, somehow, to way more errors.

It's absurd really.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, penguin said:

What the actual ****?

Top 6 are playing to different rules to the rest of us and they ain’t even attempting to hide it

There is no other explanation for this than big club bias. It’s f***ed up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The psychology of VAR is fascinating. They're making or not making shite decisions because they know if they're wrong they'll be corrected but then the VAR ref is too scared to correct it leading, somehow, to way more errors.

It's absurd really.

I think among many of the problems is it's too tightly defined leading to absurdity. 

It might be dangerous, with these officials, but I'd honestly just leave it to the ref's discretion - "didn't get a good view on that, can you check it?" rather than this threshold for what is or isn't corrected, and scenarios in which it could be used to intervene but isn't allowed to. 

There should also be absolutely no weighting placed on what the on-field ref's initial judgement was once VAR gets involved, IMO, unless it's a "too tight to call" which should really be a very small exception. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I think among many of the problems is it's too tightly defined leading to absurdity. 

It might be dangerous, with these officials, but I'd honestly just leave it to the ref's discretion - "didn't get a good view on that, can you check it?" rather than this threshold for what is or isn't corrected, and scenarios in which it could be used to intervene but isn't allowed to. 

There should also be absolutely no weighting placed on what the on-field ref's initial judgement was once VAR gets involved, IMO, unless it's a "too tight to call" which should really be a very small exception. 

Other way round for me

VAR watches everything, absolutely everything, if they see something they buzz down and say "John you might want to take another look at that" John can either go to the monitor and get another look or he can say "nope I saw it perfectly and I'm happy" 

Funnily enough that's how it worked perfectly well in the world cup and euros 

Don't watch enough football anymore to say how its working in other leagues and the CL etc but I'd happily guess that it's our refs and PGMOL that are **** this up but I'd also say that the PL deep down don't really care, its all part of the drama and entertainment of their product 

Â