The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Except that defender would probably get booked for dangerous play due to a VAR call. 

Maybe so but it would stop Kane doing it again potentially, fight fire with fire and all that. I hope when we play them Smith instructs one of our CB’s to give him a ‘friendly’ knee in the back early on in the game.

22 hours ago, a-k said:

How can VAR send off Pereira and not even have a second look at Harry Kane? This is the third time he’s done this this season and not once has it been checked. This is 1000x more dangerous and could seriously injure someone. 

I’ve been banging on for years that this sort of challenge should be a red card

• Like 4

That Brighton penalty should have been retaken. If they had gotten the lines out, I'm sure they would have seen that multiple players had body parts that could play the ball that were encroaching inside the box.

Yes, I know it didn't affect the outcome of the penalty at all, but if rules are going to be rules then the lines should have come out!

It's amazing how they get away with it, and yet, the goalkeeper is punished for coming off of their line due to them stopping the first place. It's deeply unfair. Fernandes effectively breaks stride twice in his penalites and gets away with it almost always.

3-4 minutes wasted on another decision with no oversight or conclusions for people to critique. It's not fit for purpose in its current form. If officials cannot make a decision in 60 seconds they shouldn't be reviewing anything.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Never a penalty, another in the long procession of awful decisions made by people who must see a football match entirely differently to how I see a football match.

It’s a fix mate. They are trying to even the decisions up throughout a season. We can all see it’s not a penalty. Scandalous.

Has for Harry Kane. I thought he just held his ground. 

• Like 1

I think it's great everytime we have such a massive mess from VAR, more chance of people really pushing for a massive overhaul or, better still, it's complete abandonment.

Just need it to happen in more high profile games than tonight. The more it happens to the Man City, Liverpool type games the quicker we'll see the issue resolved. Problem is, I think VAR people are aware of this so don't annoy the big boys if at all possible.

Pascal Gross ripping into the refs there. 

It's the same refs on the pitch who are in Stockley Park too, they just rotate. No surprise if the on-pitch referee makes a terrible decision and the VAR agrees. They're all as bad as each other.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Are refs (physical and video) now turning a blind eye to staggered run ups?

Quite a few players doing them now.

Bale did one the other night

Fernandes does a massive jump during his run up

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

It's amazing how they get away with it, and yet, the goalkeeper is punished for coming off of their line due to them stopping the first place. It's deeply unfair. Fernandes effectively breaks stride twice in his penalites and gets away with it almost always.

Staggered run ups are legal. It's only against the rules if you actually dummy the kicking of the ball

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Whichever referee has reviewed that and said "yeah, it's a penalty, not a free kick" should be sacked.  Absolute disgrace.

Yep it's a joke.

It's what we've all been saying. The decision on the field should stand UNLESS there is clear evidence to overturn it.

They're just guessing with that decision.

It shouldn't be "That's PROBABLY in the box so we'll give a penalty". It should be "Well we can't say for sure that's in the box so the decision on the pitch stands"

I actually think that's a decision that could be both a penalty or a free kick depending on what the ref has given on the pitch. It's so marginal that you have to go with what the ref gave in the first place.

• Like 2

Â