The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Just now, Davkaus said:

How often do you get consensus like this among football fans? And we're not a fringe group of hard done by nutters, it's the same on other football message boards, fans of all teams are saying the same. Nobody wants this.

The state of the workflow.

Watkins checked for offside. He's offside because he's fouled. Foul not given despite CB hands around his neck. Not checked for a foul as they were too busy drawing lines. Anonymous bloke after the game says 'we checked it, no clear and obvious error'

No accountability to prove whether they did actually check it, or a rubric what constitutes clear and obvious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think they're fixing matches, but I agree it would be hugely beneficial to hear the discussions. Again that's what other sports do. it would at least make it less frustrating because you could hear the logic behind it. you might not agree but at least you'd understand their reasons.

Like the Trez penalty the other week. You'd hear the ref saying something like "I didn't think there was any contact with the ball but I can see now that there was and I think it was enough to not be a foul. Do you agree?" etc etc

No I don't think so either, but it would be very easy for them to do it. 

• Like 1

Alright so how would people feel about this...

Give each team 2 chances to challenge a referee decision like in some other sports. 

If they challenge a decision and it turns out the ref got it wrong, then they don't lose a challenge. But if they challenge a decision and the ref was right, then they lose it. 

So the decision to then go to VAR is on the coaching team, rather than what stockley park decides to check.

I'm undecided on it. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

Give each team 2 chances to challenge a referee decision like in some other sports. 

If they challenge a decision and it turns out the ref got it wrong, then they don't lose a challenge. But if they challenge a decision and the ref was right, then they lose it. 

So the decision to then go to VAR is on the coaching team, rather than what stockley park decides to check.

I'm undecided on it. 

This is in the NFL and I don't love it.

What I think we need is a system like cricket, where the 'umpire's call' is the margin of error.

If a decision is made on field, there needs to be compelling evidence provided by the VAR in order to overturn it. And this does not include drawing **** lines on the screen to check offside. If you can see the offside, then it's offside.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm undecided on it. 

That and at the ref’s request. Do not let the VAR get involved at its own initiative, don’t let it influence the game in any way without explicit invitation. 

Just get rid of the stupid measurement system for offsides. Fire it out of a cannon into the sun.

They can look at offsides again like they do with fouls, and if it's not a clear offside without the help of the dubiously accurate technology used by a human capable of making errors, it's not offside.

I would rather concede a goal every other week that might have been offside if we measured it than have another goal chalked off because of this bullshit. Nobody wants this. It sucks. Nobody thinks this is good for the game. It absolutely dominates the football media.

15 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm undecided on it. 

I don't think it works in football because there are so few VARable instances in each game, so teams are going to just use it every time they concede a goal just incase the ref missed a shirt tug on a player on the opposite side of the ground in the build up play.

Cricket is different because of the amount of instances where it might be useable.

If it was going to be a challenge system, it should be 1 challenge for the game to try to stop teams from using it on speculative decisions and leaving it for clearcut errors.

1 minute ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If it was going to be a challenge system, it should be 1 challenge for the game to try to stop teams from using it on speculative decisions and leaving it for clearcut errors.

Agreed. One challenge per manager. 

49 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

For offsides, I don't understand why they don't change it to the following...

If the part of your body that touches the ball next is offside, then it's ruled out.

But in Watkins' case yesterday, because he kicked the ball, it should have been onside as his feet were onside.

Whereas if his head was offside and he headed the ball, fair enough it's offside.

Just seems stupid to be punished because your arm is offside when your arm has nothing to do with the goal.  

I really like that idea actually.  It would be fairly easy to introduce I'd have thought and I'd accept that definition of offside, whereas the current one is nonsense.  I think it's the definition of what offside actually is that's my main problem, though the limits of the current technology also need sorting out.

19 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm undecided on it. 

The thing is, even with a reduced number of VAR calls, they will still get it wrong. It’s the people interpreting it that cause the issues, not so much the technology itself (although the camera quality is terrible). 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the referral idea because it has such potential to be the same as it is now, with the manager just sticking his hand up to trigger any old review for no specific reason. If we went this way, I'd want very specific reasoning for a referral, and only that can be reviewed.

Or just scrap it because it's so obviously shit.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The state of the workflow.

Watkins checked for offside. He's offside because he's fouled. Foul not given despite CB hands around his neck. Not checked for a foul as they were too busy drawing lines. Anonymous bloke after the game says 'we checked it, no clear and obvious error'

No accountability to prove whether they did actually check it, or a rubric what constitutes clear and obvious. 

VAR in it self is fine, the implementation is absolutely terrible.

I though it was to check for clear and obvious errors? 2.5 minutes to determine if a player is a fraction offside is nor clear and obvious in any way shape or form. If VAR cannot determine in 30 seconds if the ref has made a clear and obvious error then the decision should stand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

The thing is, even with a reduced number of VAR calls, they will still get it wrong. It’s the people interpreting it that cause the issues, not so much the technology itself (although the camera quality is terrible). 

The main issue for me now is VAR getting involved in decisions it was never meant to be involved in, in a rather arbitrary and intransparent way. If you remove VAR’s ability to meddle in really marginal decisions, you take away a lot the absolute hopelesness of an incontroversial goal being ruled out for something so miniscule as to have no practical significance. Limit it to situations where there is actual doubt and debate on the field. 

• Like 2

Just now, Michelsen said:

The main issue for me now is VAR getting involved in decisions it was never meant to be involved in, in a rather arbitrary and intransparent way. If you remove VAR’s ability to meddle in really marginal decisions, you take away a lot the absolute hopelesness of an incontroversial goal being ruled out for something so miniscule as to have no practical significance. Limit it to situations where there is actual doubt and debate on the field. 

Exactly.

I'd also argue the clear and obvious foul statement has well and truly fallen on its face.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we’ll begin to see crowds increasing at lower/non league grounds.

It's certainly my plan. Though I look forward to PL crowds returning and hope for wall to wall chants of "VAR is **** shit" throughout every televised game. 

It really bothers me that a bunch of simple morons on the internet like ourselves can come up with multiple solutions that would all be a dramatic improvement on the system put in place by alleged professionals. Forgive the sarcasm, but it’s almost as if the fans care more about the game than they do. 

• Like 1

Â