Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Peterborough

limpid

Match Polls  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/01/18 at 17:30

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

What the **** does it matter where I live??

To you maybe not.. but not everyone is the same!

Yes but it was a weakened side. It was embarassing but at end of tge day nkt important in the slightest.

For me shows certain players are not good enough and should not be starting. Im glad we lost as opposed to a replay. That for me is 10x worse 

Simple review; Peterborough wanted it more, our squad depth is woeful, our young players are overrated and Bruce doesn't have clue.

But it wasn't the worst result, I'll take a loss rather than a replay with this seasons priorities - in the PL that wouldn't be my view as a cup win is more important to me as a fan but now it's so ridiculous, given our position in English football, that we can do anything amazing in the cup we just need league focus.

So player ratings;

Steer - 7 - Did everything he could to keep score down, some great saves. Distribution is poor though.

Taylor/De Laet/Terry/Bjarnasson - 5 - all poor, slipping, misplacing passes.

Bree - 4 - why was he at CB?! Too weak for the position but all blame lies with Bruce.

Hourihane - 6 - in a sea of uselessness he kept us ticking

Onomah - 2 - So, so poor. I've said enough about him, his attitude sticks and he's simply not even one of our better midfielder, never mind PL quality.

Green - 3 - so clearly not fit in any way. Once again, all blame lies with Bruce

Davis/O'Hare - 5 - flashes of brilliance in amongst huge passages of ineffectiveness. O'Hare needs a loan move and so does Davis maybe, but I just don't think he'll ever make a decent striker even at this level.

Subs; Lansbury 6, added fight, Grealish 6, limited time, Hepburn-Murphy 5, see Davis.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Do you live in Peterborough or something? 

It really, really, really doesn't matter. 

If people want to be outraged or angry let them be, why wage a one man campaign against anyone who felt the result was not good enough??? 

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

some supporters, Bruce, but thanks for mocking me

I'm not mocking you, I'm mocking what you posted. You were trying to create a straw man by suggesting that people weren't allowed an opinion when no-one had said anything of the kind.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

I'm not mocking you, I'm mocking what you posted. You were trying to create a straw man by suggesting that people weren't allowed an opinion when no-one had said anything of the kind.

more about the 'hysteria' thing

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Would like to have won, however we ain’t going to win the cup so not massively fussed. Didn’t want a replay or any injuries. 

My biggest concern is how much damage it’s had to any momentum we’d started to gain.

I admit I’d be more pissed off if I had chosen to attend today. 

We didnt win the cup in 2015, but the West Brom quarter and Liverpool semi are still the only positive Villa memories i have of the last five years.

Agree with you on the momentum thing entirely. We'll see.

• Like 2

As a committed Bruce outer.  I’m tempted to gloat a little bit, but won’t because the FA cup means FA.  Imo it’s a chance to try some things.  We did.  Next.   I don’t think our long term under Bruce will be good, but today had absolutely zero impact on that.  

We go again

Edited by srsmithusa

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Let's get this said first; well played Peterborough, a performance of passion, purpose and pride. Their fans made a good noise throughout and they thoroughly deserved to win the game. They should enjoy their celebrations and I don't want the things I'll say about my club to in any way reflect on their success.

They were the better team in three ways:

Commitment - they cared and they played like they cared, they worked hard, they were brave with and without the ball and they worked for each other.

Passing - they played better football than we did, it was them trying to get it on the deck, it was them trying to pass and move, their football provided them with their opportunities.

Chances - they created a hatful and but for an excellent performance from Steer they could quite easily have doubled their tally today.

For us, we're out of what is arguably the biggest competition we get to take part in - you can bang on about promotion all you like, but the game is about more than money, it's about more than the big TV show, it's about glories and joys and this competition matters. It should matter more, but Sky have said no - that's a different debate, but in a half decade full of shocking seasons, performances and results, this still has to take it's place in the pantheon of shameful days in this new century.

I think once you accept one thing, there are then two ways to look at this defeat. Here's the thing; I think it's important to note that the team we put out were talented enough to have won that game, we had the better players almost without a doubt.

There are two themes for our disappointment, one collective and the other individual.

We'll start in the traditional way with the manager - he's not had a good day - he's picked a reasonably balanced side but they've not performed for him - not tactically, but in terms of their commitment, their enthusiasm and their desire - this wasn't a team that cared about the FA Cup, or the pride of Aston Villa or their personal pride - it's part of the role of the manager and his staff to ensure that's not the case, that the very least we can expect is that those players give 100%, that they try - today that's not true of all of them. He brought on the right substitutes although you can argue that he took off the wrong men - all the paper things he did today were fine for me, all the things that involve thinking about football were good - but this team had no heart and that's one of the things I would expect Bruce to be getting into them. 

The three things they beat us on are all things that a good manager has an influence on, he should be able to inspire and energise, and we should be able to play the kind of football that he'd expect - that we're struggling to play the kind of football that League 1 teams expect is a real concern.

Some things are clearer individually.

First up, let's absolve Jed Steer of any responsibility - he's made a good half dozen excellent saves of the type that might ordinarily win you a match and he can rightly be angry with his compatriots.

Those that can say that whilst they didn't contribute enough, they did at least show a little effort or composure would include DeLaet, Terry, Davis and probably Taylor - they at least showed a willingness to try. Bree isn't a centre half - and I wonder why we keep making this experiment try to work - bless him, he gives it a go, but it's just not his position - he can also be halfway excused. I'm prepared to go easy on Green too as he's just back from injury.

O'Hare was willing and put in some effort, but he looks lightweight and ineffective - after ten minutes when our collective confidence dropped and Peterborough realised we were there for the taking, his performance dropped noticeably and he might well be better in a more confident side, but at times today he looked lost.

Into midfield - Hourihane was the most willing of them, he put in a performance with maybe 80% of the usual vigour of his league performances, short changed us a bit and coasted a little - in comparison to his peers, that's almost acceptable.

Bjarnason then, a midfielder from a nation that doesn't have the talent of some of the larger nations, but has achieved so much through a collective spirit and  a willingness to work harder than anyone else - today he bought the talent bit, not the other bit - the longer the game went on, the less interested in it he looked.

Which puts him some way ahead of the worst player on the pitch - Josh Onomah is fit, strong, mobile and talented - but mentally? He left the field after somehow getting 90 minutes with absolutely spotless shorts and enough in the tank to have played in the 17:30 kick off. He was sloppy on the ball, he didn't chase back, he didn't make himself available - this was as lazy a performance as I've seen in a long time. He needs to take a long look at himself and figure out what kind of footballer he wants to be. I would not be in the slightest bit bothered if he was back at Tottenham next week - there have been hints of it in his play all season but on this performance he made it pretty clear he doesn't care a jot about this football club. I would hope he has the decency to be ashamed enough for it to improve him.

At half time, Henri Lansbury came on. I know this because it was on the big screen. He played a through ball for O'Hare that wasn't bad and later he bottled a tackle - those aren't the highlights of his performance, that's it - before and after those moments, he was less involved in the game than I was.

Overall, this was a performance with less heart than a Vegan stew, less passion than a dirty weekend with Jacob Rees-Mogg and less commitment than a relationship with Mick Jagger. You can say it's just the cup, you can write this game off, you can forget because it's happened so often of late that we should be better than this, but if you do, don't come complaining to me when we bottle a big game in the play off run or lose the derby - these players think the game should be easy and they play that way - fair play to Peterborough for showing them what can be achieved if you go at it right way.

Elloquently written

I didn't see the game, but can feel it......i've seen these games before.....and I agree with you the manager should have them up for it and if they are not hook them, yes while the game is in progress.....send out the message.

Mk Dons have sent Tshibola back, perhaps we should man up and take a leaf out of their book.....too many diva's.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Let's get this said first; well played Peterborough, a performance of passion, purpose and pride. Their fans made a good noise throughout and they thoroughly deserved to win the game. They should enjoy their celebrations and I don't want the things I'll say about my club to in any way reflect on their success.

Commitment - they cared and they played like they cared, they worked hard, they were brave with and without the ball and they worked for each other.

Passing - they played better football than we did, it was them trying to get it on the deck, it was them trying to pass and move, their football provided them with their opportunities.

Chances - they created a hatful and but for an excellent performance from Steer they could quite easily have doubled their tally today.

For us, we're out of what is arguably the biggest competition we get to take part in - you can bang on about promotion all you like, but the game is about more than money, it's about more than the big TV show, it's about glories and joys and this competition matters. It should matter more, but Sky have said no - that's a different debate, but in a half decade full of shocking seasons, performances and results, this still has to take it's place in the pantheon of shameful days in this new century.

I think once you accept one thing, there are then two ways to look at this defeat. Here's the thing; I think it's important to note that the team we put out were talented enough to have won that game, we had the better players almost without a doubt.

There are two themes for our disappointment, one collective and the other individual.

We'll start in the traditional way with the manager - he's not had a good day - he's picked a reasonably balanced side but they've not performed for him - not tactically, but in terms of their commitment, their enthusiasm and their desire - this wasn't a team that cared about the FA Cup, or the pride of Aston Villa or their personal pride - it's part of the role of the manager and his staff to ensure that's not the case, that the very least we can expect is that those players give 100%, that they try - today that's not true of all of them. He brought on the right substitutes although you can argue that he took off the wrong men - all the paper things he did today were fine for me, all the things that involve thinking about football were good - but this team had no heart and that's one of the things I would expect Bruce to be getting into them. 

The three things they beat us on are all things that a good manager has an influence on, he should be able to inspire and energise, and we should be able to play the kind of football that he'd expect - that we're struggling to play the kind of football that League 1 teams expect is a real concern.

First up, let's absolve Jed Steer of any responsibility - he's made a good half dozen excellent saves of the type that might ordinarily win you a match and he can rightly be angry with his compatriots.

Those that can say that whilst they didn't contribute enough, they did at least show a little effort or composure would include DeLaet, Terry, Davis and probably Taylor - they at least showed a willingness to try. Bree isn't a centre half - and I wonder why we keep making this experiment try to work - bless him, he gives it a go, but it's just not his position - he can also be halfway excused. I'm prepared to go easy on Green too as he's just back from injury.

O'Hare was willing and put in some effort, but he looks lightweight and ineffective - after ten minutes when our collective confidence dropped and Peterborough realised we were there for the taking, his performance dropped noticeably and he might well be better in a more confident side, but at times today he looked lost.

Into midfield - Hourihane was the most willing of them, he put in a performance with maybe 80% of the usual vigour of his league performances, short changed us a bit and coasted a little - in comparison to his peers, that's almost acceptable.

Bjarnason then, a midfielder from a nation that doesn't have the talent of some of the larger nations, but has achieved so much through a collective spirit and  a willingness to work harder than anyone else - today he bought the talent bit, not the other bit - the longer the game went on, the less interested in it he looked.

Which puts him some way ahead of the worst player on the pitch - Josh Onomah is fit, strong, mobile and talented - but mentally? He left the field after somehow getting 90 minutes with absolutely spotless shorts and enough in the tank to have played in the 17:30 kick off. He was sloppy on the ball, he didn't chase back, he didn't make himself available - this was as lazy a performance as I've seen in a long time. He needs to take a long look at himself and figure out what kind of footballer he wants to be. I would not be in the slightest bit bothered if he was back at Tottenham next week - there have been hints of it in his play all season but on this performance he made it pretty clear he doesn't care a jot about this football club. I would hope he has the decency to be ashamed enough for it to improve him.

At half time, Henri Lansbury came on. I know this because it was on the big screen. He played a through ball for O'Hare that wasn't bad and later he bottled a tackle - those aren't the highlights of his performance, that's it - before and after those moments, he was less involved in the game than I was.

Overall, this was a performance with less heart than a Vegan stew, less passion than a dirty weekend with Jacob Rees-Mogg and less commitment than a relationship with Mick Jagger. You can say it's just the cup, you can write this game off, you can forget because it's happened so often of late that we should be better than this, but if you do, don't come complaining to me when we bottle a big game in the play off run or lose the derby - these players think the game should be easy and they play that way - fair play to Peterborough for showing them what can be achieved if you go at it right way.

Fantastic post!! 

• Like 1

That was a bit shit. Again.

Steve- why did you play a right back who has barely featured this season in the central defence? Baffling. 

Peterborough deserved that by a mile.  I thought we were supposed to have a good squad depth? Our reserves this season have beaten 1 reserve league one side (Wigan) and lost the other 2.

I am getting concerned over Onomah. Useless today. I also thought Lansbury brought nothing in the second half. People may have a go at Whelan but surely he would have been a better option had he been on the bench. Moving forward in the summer we need to be a youngish defensive midfielder. 

The only postives from this shambles was Steer again looks a very good number 2 or 1 if Johnstone leaves in the summer, and I thought De Laet played well. He linked up well with O'Hare in the first half at least before he (O'Hare) tired- why Bruce didn't sub him after an hour I don't know.

Enjoy the free weekend lads- you deserved it.

43 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Shame that a post of the year contender is describing an embarrassing defeat.

• Like 1

Judging by the remarks about our lack of motivation and It seems Brentford fire themselves up for us, but fail at home to Northampton?

Seems like these guys just pick and choose when they can be arsed.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Our players have no imagination or creativity, midfielders pass to defenders who pass to the keeper to hoof it. Been playing like that all season.

It's never going to change under Bruce. That's the way his teams play. It baffles me how people still defend him. I didn't see the game today but being outplayed by Peterbrough isn't a surprise. The local semi pro team here would outplay us because they keep the ball on the deck and pass it. 

Bruce out. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That was a bit shit. Again.

Steve- why did you play a right back who has barely featured this season in the central defence? Baffling. 

Peterborough deserved that by a mile.  I thought we were supposed to have a good squad depth? Our reserves this season have beaten 1 reserve league one side (Wigan) and lost the other 2.

I am getting concerned over Onomah. Useless today. I also thought Lansbury brought nothing in the second half. People may have a go at Whelan but surely he would have been a better option had he been on the bench. Moving forward in the summer we need to be a youngish defensive midfielder. 

The only postives from this shambles was Steer again looks a very good number 2 or 1 if Johnstone leaves in the summer, and I thought De Laet played well. He linked up well with O'Hare in the first half at least before he (O'Hare) tired- why Bruce didn't sub him after an hour I don't know.

Enjoy the free weekend lads- you deserved it.

Agree with most of your post, but I'm not letting the "reserves" take the blame for this.

Out of the 11 people on the pitch, you can split them into 2 pots and I'd say the "reserve players" were better than the regular first teamers out there (Terry, Taylor, Hourihane, Onomah, Davis)

Steer was man of the match, and RDL & O'Hare were the only 2 who looked like creating anything.

Â