Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Peterborough

limpid

Match Polls  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/01/18 at 17:30

For 65 minutes everyone in the ground but Bruce could see they were going to score. It needed Onomah taking off and Grealish put in his place. But Bruce decides to wait, they score, then he makes the change.

Real shame because I thought it would be a cricket score after 10 mins. We looked fantastic on the right with Dr Laet and O'Hare linking up nicely but then it all went shit.

• Like 2

The FA cup shows the real passion of players/teams. Stoke lost because the players can't be arsed to play for Mark Hughes anymore, Leicester drew because of the graft and passion of fleetwood.

Villa lost because Bruce has not instilled enough passion in the players to be interested in winning. I personally think its disgusting these so called bench players cannot show enough passion to beat Peterborough. They are more talented (aren't they??) so should be ashamed of that performance. These players surely cannot be the future of Aston Villa

Not bothered that we're out as it will probably be beneficial to us having a free weekend here & there for the rest of the season but the performance/result isn't great, Especially after being 1-0 up within 10 minutes.

Look at Wolves today, They had a player sent off, played 50+ minutes with 10 men and now have a replay, Cardiff have a replay, Boro, Sheff Utd & Preston are all through so have at least 1 more game than us to play & Leeds will probably win tomorrow.

Out of the top 9 that leaves us, derby & bristol city out & City are still in the league cup. I would rather have fit, rested players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macandally said:

Those on here saying they don’t care about the FA Cup and the fact we lost need to have a word with themselves.  Thinking we can decide which games we are up for and which ones don’t matter is what got us into this stinking mess in the first place.  Success is bred throughout the club, it is a business like approach, focus and refusal to accept failure.  You cannot pick and choose when to win.  Prepare to win them all, have the desire to win them all and be hurt when you don’t, that is what breeds winning sides.

D'ya know what mate?  You're absolutely spot on there.

As much as I've made flippant comments about not caring - and in isolation I don't care (I think there are advantages to us playing less games, and I'm not arsed about getting stick from other fans) - but as a club we're still in repair mode.  Bruce was kinda right that we're never far from a crisis, because there's still that fear that it'll all fall apart again.

So, based on your excellent point, I've changed my mind.  I'm annoyed that we've gone from the highs and excitement of battering Bristol City to now wondering if it was just a flash in the pan.

Good work.

• Like 4

the worry is the squad beyond the regulars are not a match for a lower league club, if they are not going to push the 1st team players for places its not good..

100% focus on the league now, SB knows all he has to do is get the job done, no excuses about fa cup games/injurys..do the job as a manager or clock out! & if the second string players are not up to it..clock out too

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not bothered that we're out as it will probably be beneficial to us having a free weekend here & there for the rest of the season but the performance/result isn't great, Especially after being 1-0 up within 10 minutes.

Look at Wolves today, They had a player sent off, played 50+ minutes with 10 men and now have a replay, Cardiff have a replay, Boro, Sheff Utd & Preston are all through so have at least 1 more game than us to play & Leeds will probably win tomorrow.

Out of the top 9 that leaves us, derby & bristol city out & City are still in the league cup. I would rather have fit, rested players.

I cant and wont argue with those points.

That leaves us & Derby with the least fixtures. Derby who more than likely will be 2nd anyway.

Another point would be, all those other playoff contenders get some well needed „playoff-esque“ practice.

But the manner of the defeat, giving up a lead by stopping playing, to a L1 team, the Barry Fry „thang“ and the embarrassment of it all is totally unexceptable and is a sackable offence.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

D'ya know what mate?  You're absolutely spot on there.

As much as I've made flippant comments about not caring - and in isolation I don't care (I think there are advantages to us playing less games, and I'm not arsed about getting stick from other fans) - but as a club we're still in repair mode.  Bruce was kinda right that we're never far from a crisis, because there's still that fear that it'll all fall apart again.

So, based on your excellent point, I've changed my mind.  I'm annoyed that we've gone from the highs and excitement of battering Bristol City to now wondering if it was just a flash in the pan.

Good work.

Likewise. You’ve totally changed my mind and now I’m annoyed as well. Thanks. I was so mellow this evening until now.

• Haha 2

Not good enough today, but on the positive side we’ve rested some players for next week and have players coming back from injury.

On a side note, anyone else think the VP pitch is looking pretty poor at the moment? Quite a few players slipping over today and it was cutting up in some areas. 

OK, I get it. There shouldn't be as much emphasis on a cup game as opposed to a league game. As @LakotaDakota  excellently pointed out, some teams within our mix are now " burdened" with a replay, which benefits us in our league chase.

We do however, expect Villa to turn up regardless, and at least have a go. There should be no lack of motivation not to, whether they do it for the pride of the club, their own pride as professional footballers, or for the chance to demonstrate what they have, and show what they bring to the party. If they cant do that, then they should choose something else in life other than being a professional footballer. The manager, coaching staff, fans, and whoever else can only do so much, but it must be the player's own hand that needs to reach into their shorts and find their balls.
I don't believe Steve Bruce can be blamed too much for this one. I wanted Bree to play, but not as a CB. There seemed to be a lack of cohesion within the team, but other than that, I believe the burning paper bag rests on the player's doorstep.

I can't get too upset with this, as there has been worse. After losing to Luton Town in disgraceful fashion 2 years ago, I am kind of numb to a loss like this. Its becoming like that old joke. Tea bags last longer in a cup than we do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Not good enough really. Bruce probably riding high being arrogant after the 5-0 and underestimated FatFrys group. Shame but oh well. All will be forgotten if we get the points at Forest. If we dont the pressure will return.

The pessimist  in me sees the Bristol game as a one-off and the too familiar Bruceball games as the norm we will no doubt soon be reverting back to. 

Maybe that's  not the pessimist in you ,more the realist .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I would rather have winning players .

1 hour ago, AJ said:

OK, I get it. There shouldn't be as much emphasis on a cup game as opposed to a league game. As @LakotaDakota  excellently pointed out, some teams within our mix are now " burdened" with a replay, which benefits us in our league chase.

We do however, expect Villa to turn up regardless, and at least have a go. There should be no lack of motivation not to, whether they do it for the pride of the club, their own pride as professional footballers, or for the chance to demonstrate what they have, and show what they bring to the party. If they cant do that, then they should choose something else in life other than being a professional footballer. The manager, coaching staff, fans, and whoever else can only do so much, but it must be the player's own hand that needs to reach into their shorts and find their balls.
I don't believe Steve Bruce can be blamed too much for this one. I wanted Bree to play, but not as a CB. There seemed to be a lack of cohesion within the team, but other than that, I believe the burning paper bag rests on the player's doorstep.

I can't get too upset with this, as there has been worse. After losing to Luton Town in disgraceful fashion 2 years ago, I am kind of numb to a loss like this. Its becoming like that old joke. Tea bags last longer in a cup than we do.

What's with the bags ?

31 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What's with the bags ?

I am just carrying on. :)

Bagging the players and Bruce is fair game, but the sack is always debateable.

Â