The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

More of a 'games gone' for me rather than a broader point. 

Put a few mins of the Man Utd game on last night... I don't watch other teams that often. In the few mins I watched in the second half, I saw Mee's arm brush Cavani's face and then Cavani drop to the floor like someone had thrown an anvil into his face. He then gets up and proceeds to moan and argue with Dyche on the touchline. 

I turned it off then. Is that what football is now? **** cheating drama queens. I detest it. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

More of a 'games gone' for me rather than a broader point. 

Put a few mins of the Man Utd game on last night... I don't watch other teams that often. In the few mins I watched in the second half, I saw Mee's arm brush Cavani's face and then Cavani drop to the floor like someone had thrown an anvil into his face. He then gets up and proceeds to moan and argue with Dyche on the touchline. 

I turned it off then. Is that what football is now? **** cheating drama queens. I detest it. 

About 5 mins later tarkowski went up vs Greenwood in the air, wasn't a foul or anything Greenwood just didn't know he was there meaning he got clattered 

Mee went over, greenwood's fine just a bit shaken up, gestures he's OK to Mee... Ref waves the physio on... You can see Mee react, absolutely no need for it, they check his neck and head for 2 mins and it's utter bullshit, Mee knows what will happen before it even did 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Very interesting that Gerrard said he was very much in favor of 5 subs. 

I am as well.

I'm aware it's a very unpopular opinion but I don't get it 

The generic response is " Teams which higher quality squads will benefit ".

Yes, possibly, but so would the likes of us.

Think of having multiple players on a yellow, needing more to make a breakthrough in a game, an additional injury etc.

Many a time we have made all our subs and I wish we could bring on a couple more. We have alot of attacking players ourselves.

Many a time we probably haven't made a sub earlier, when it was possibly needed, out of fear for using them up.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Afcon 2021: Watford's Emmanuel Dennis and Victor Osimhen out of Nigeria squad

So Watford are seemingly refusing to let players go to Afcon (admittedly for a variety of reasons). Sounds a bit like they are using technicalities to get out of sending Dennis though, with him having been drafted late on in the process.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I am as well.

Think of having multiple players on a yellow, needing more to make a breakthrough in a game, an additional injury etc.

Many a time we have made all our subs and I wish we could bring on a couple more. We have alot of attacking players ourselves.

Yes to all of this but also with a thriving academy we can get them on the pitch more . It means that we can get Iroegbunam minutes. The same for Bidace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Afcon 2021: Watford's Emmanuel Dennis and Victor Osimhen out of Nigeria squad

So Watford are seemingly refusing to let players go to Afcon (admittedly for a variety of reasons). Sounds a bit like they are using technicalities to get out of sending Dennis though, with him having been drafted late on in the process.

What a joke. The disregard for the tournament would never happen with other events. 

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Yes to all of this but also with a thriving academy we can get them on the pitch more . It means that we can get Iroegbunam minutes. The same for Bidace. 

Gerrard intimated what you've just said, when talking about it as well mate. It makes sense.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I am as well.

Many a time we probably haven't made a sub earlier, when it was possibly needed, out of fear for using them up.

I don’t like it and not because of Villa but because in theory those with the stronger squads can benefit whereas the weaker squads won’t have the level of replacements.  This can be very advantageous later in games when fresh quality legs can make a significant difference and thus giving unfair competitive advantage more so than the current system.

Just now, The_Steve said:

What a joke. The disregard for the tournament would never happen with other events. 

There are less Asian players in the PL than African players, does anyone know if this happens during Asian tournaments?

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I don’t like it and not because of Villa but because in theory those with the stronger squads can benefit whereas the weaker squads won’t have the level of replacements.  This can be very advantageous later in games when fresh quality legs can make a significant difference and thus giving unfair competitive advantage more so than the current system.

Yep. 

This is why Smith preferred 3 subs 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I am as well.

You’re probably right. The big expensive squad argument has merit but squads like Man City are more or less swapping like for like there is no down grade only tactical changes. As a good and improving mid table squad, 5 subs possibly gives us overall a bigger advantage over the lower half clubs than it does a disadvantage over the top 6 teams. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It is tilted, as it always is, towards the money teams. However surely the aim is for us to have a deep quality squad and therefore it would be to our advantage too. 

23 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It is tilted, as it always is, towards the money teams. However surely the aim is for us to have a deep quality squad and therefore it would be to our advantage too. 

Oh agree with that in part, I think it’s just another change that continues to chip away at the competitiveness of the league and in the end that hurts us as more and more changes continue to happen year on year, decade on decade that always helps the top teams, sometimes helps the mid teams and doesn’t help the weaker teams.  This might help us, likely to help the bigger teams more but unlikely to help weaker teams whereas the next change may only help the bigger teams.  Add them all up, bigger teams wins hands down and stretch the gulf,  mid teams a bit better on some, a bit worse on others and weaker teams are worse off…can’t be good for the league.

20 hours ago, The_Steve said:

19 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

It's a tournament in the middle of the season

thats the point, anyone saying "people disrespect the AFCON" is missing the point big time, its nothing to do with it being an "African" tournament, its when an internation tournament should or shouldnt take place thats the problem imo.

the tournament is in the middle of the main club season, which to me is completely wrong, if the Euro's were in the middle of the season i would feel exactly the same about that, no international main tournament should be mid season, or even during a season, no footballer should miss club games for any main internation tournaments imo.

The only way i think it would be remotely reasonable to have any type of main international tournament in the middle of a season, is if the main national leagues had a break (ie: winter break or similar), to accommodate the tournament and ensure no clubs lose their players for an internation tournament, but ideally, we really shouldnt be having any international tournaments mid season, of any type.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

The problem with AFCON as well as the timing is the sheer amount of tournaments. Every 2 years and they moved it from even years to odd years just under a decade ago

They've had tournaments in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019, plus the upcoming one. 

Euros is every 4 years. 

20 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Apparently Nigeria didn't contact Watford before the deadline to request Dennis release. They also got a new manager who had a huge list of players he wanted and forgot to add Dennis

• Haha 1

Â