The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I wonder how Americanized football could become before people lost interest.

Like, all of this is being discussed as sensible.  It's bizarre!

These ideas are all about increasing interest. Nobody in football is bothered if some 30+ year old from Solihull isn't really interested in PL football anymore. They only care about new markets, expanding in Asia, USA, Middle East, etc. This is where the money is and money is all that matters. 

• Like 1

The crazy thing for me is that the PL doesn't seem like the growth in popularity is anywhere near a plateau

Other than greed is hard to see a driver 

Again the NFL I get, even la Liga and the other European leagues in the shadow of the PL I get but the PL don't need it

Bleating about the NFL again too... I'd bet the **** are arrogant enough to go after the Sunday afternoon US slot

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm expecting a proposal like, League Cup is binned and restarted as a sub-PL cup competition, and the gap is filled with a PL Cup competition played internationally.

Or Top 8 / European Qualifiers go to the Saudi Cup and below that to the League Cup, which still qualifies for UECL as a sweetener.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm expecting a proposal like, League Cup is binned and restarted as a sub-PL cup competition, and the gap is filled with a PL Cup competition played internationally.

There is already a sub-PL cup competition (the EFL Trophy) which excludes the Premier League and Championship. 

It would make little sense to add another one in just for the Championship to be included,  especially as it is quietly becoming EPL2 in terms of money spent.

13 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

There is already a sub-PL cup competition (the EFL Trophy) which excludes the Premier League and Championship. 

It would make little sense to add another one in just for the Championship to be included,  especially as it is quietly becoming EPL2 in terms of money spent.

I know about the Trophy. Keeping the League Cup I could see more as a way of keeping fixtures etc for the Football League rather than just bin off a series of games entirely. 

But really the point is more it's obvious a lot of figures in the PL want the League Cup gone and also want to push the PL product internationally - so they might sell binning the League Cup for PL clubs and fitting in a lucrative international PL Cup as a win win. 

Or maybe fudge it, the PL top 12 each season qualify for the 'PL International Challenge Cup', and run U21s in the League Cup.

Either way they're going to push for some sort of meaningful international presence for the PL as the insatiable need for growth and money is chased, so it's going to be something like a cup tournament played internationally as everything else doesn't work, and the sacrifice will be the League Cup.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

These ideas are all about increasing interest. Nobody in football is bothered if some 30+ year old from Solihull isn't really interested in PL football anymore. They only care about new markets, expanding in Asia, USA, Middle East, etc. This is where the money is and money is all that matters. 

That's fair - I should've been more specific.  Would the traditional, working class (maybe middle class 👀) fan remain as interested in football if it continues to head down the route it is, indeed, heading?

I can only speak for myself, but each of these money-related changes just has zero appeal to me.  It's turning me away from the game more and more, but maybe that isn't elsewhere at all.

Sandro Tonali back to the game with a suspended 2 month ban for betting breaches. Amazing what these Saudi teams get away with.

50 bets on football in 2 months, I'm not having the gambling illness bollocks when a player could bet on anything but football. 

City’s model damaging Troyes in France - their biggest signing Savio never actually played for them despite being a record signing - loaned to PSV and then has massive success with Girona (of the City group) before eventually landing at City

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Quicker multi club ownership/collaborations are banned the better. We arent innocent in this and UEFA should dissolve all these relationships

Killing football

Are Brighton also killing football for having a partnership with USG in Belgium?

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Are Brighton also killing football for having a partnership with USG in Belgium?

Yes. At end of day is no different what City is doing than us Brighton or Red Bull. Just because Union SG are doing well now it doesnt mean will always be this way same as Udinese/Watford had good times

Football clubs should be independent clubs

• Like 3

Just now, Zatman said:

Yes. At end of day is no different what City is doing than us Brighton or Red Bull. Just because Union SG are doing well now it doesnt mean will always be this way same as Udinese/Watford had good times

Football clubs should be independent clubs

There’s a fundamental difference between feeder clubs which have existed for decades and disgusting predatory sports washing models like the City Group and franchise nonsense like Red Bull. Look at the lower leagues of other counties in and out of Europe, formal and informal partnerships have existed for years and it’s not damaged the footballing ecosystem. Troyes are unfortunately facing the consequence of when the model is used for the sole gain of City. That should be stopped. But encouraging clubs to build links in ways that are beneficial and in the spirit of the game should not be though. 

• Like 3

Bloody hell:

“Three members of the national team have suffered assaults this month, prompting the cancellation of the season-opening charity match on Friday.

One of the victims, winger Faisal Halim, was left in a critical condition after an acid attack in a shopping mall last weekend.

Police have yet to establish a motive, or whether the incidents are linked.

Malaysia's football association has urged high-profile players to take precautions, including hiring bodyguards.”

On 04/05/2024 at 10:24, The_Steve said:

There’s a fundamental difference between feeder clubs which have existed for decades and disgusting predatory sports washing models like the City Group and franchise nonsense like Red Bull. Look at the lower leagues of other counties in and out of Europe, formal and informal partnerships have existed for years and it’s not damaged the footballing ecosystem. Troyes are unfortunately facing the consequence of when the model is used for the sole gain of City. That should be stopped. But encouraging clubs to build links in ways that are beneficial and in the spirit of the game should not be though. 

Girona also facing that consequence.  I imagine their fans views are somewhat different.

On 04/05/2024 at 10:06, Zatman said:

Quicker multi club ownership/collaborations are banned the better. We arent innocent in this and UEFA should dissolve all these relationships

Killing football

It's impossible to stop it though. You setup a company and buy a club. Setup a different company and buy another club. Both of these companies can have different directors, be based in different countries, seem totally separate but behind it all is the same power broker or money man. 

FIFA having a meeting to approve club games being played abroad. Interesting we have worked previously with the group organising this so imagine we might be keen on a game abroad

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

FIFA having a meeting to approve club games being played abroad. Interesting we have worked previously with the group organising this so imagine we might be keen on a game abroad

Only a matter of time until Premier league teams have games abroad. Whether it's a 39th game or a lost home game remains to be seen. I assume it will be a lost home game. 

On 04/05/2024 at 09:48, The_Steve said:

City’s model damaging Troyes in France - their biggest signing Savio never actually played for them despite being a record signing - loaned to PSV and then has massive success with Girona (of the City group) before eventually landing at City

France is an easy route to get European Visas for African players. They have no interest in the club, just looking for the next Drogba. 

I can’t believe that there’s any team in world football still want Mason Greenwood. But alas, he’s being linked to so many European clubs. 

Disappointing they’re looking the other way

33 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I can’t believe that there’s any team in world football still want Mason Greenwood. But alas, he’s being linked to so many European clubs. 

Disappointing they’re looking the other way

I think its utterly horrific that so many clubs are interested in Greenwood.

But since when do football clubs sign players based on morals and doing the right thing? There are countless examples of players being convicted of crimes and still being signed to clubs.

• Like 1

Â