Match Thread: sha v Villa

limpid

Just now, striker said:

Don’t think anyone thought this was going to be a classic in the footballing sense but I can’t help thinking on the evidence of that first half performance Bruce is again paying too much respect to the opposition who have been generally poor.

Could you imagine if the prat got us up? Against PL opposition he'd probably check the rule book to determine if 2 goalkeeper were allowed. 

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Awful game. They seem to be first to every ball and are knocking it about a bit better. All we are doing is hoofing it. Vassell has gone off which might swing things, but definitely not good enough. 

Exactly what I was going to say. We are often unable to pick up the second ball for some reason but we have lost out almost every time today and just hoofing it forwards is negating all the advantages we have over them and levelling the playing field. 

I am worried. 

Two changes need to be made.

Davis for Onomah with Kodjia dropping in to the space behind Davis. Davis is the physical presence needed up top to hold it up and he can lay it off to Kodjia to have shots at goal. 

Jedinak for Whelan - Whelan is marking N'Doye at every set-piece and it's just a matter of time before Whelan gets out-jumped for a goal. N'Doye is a brute so we need someone in there who can compete with him physically and Jedinak is the only one on the bench that can do that. 

Hutton needs to stop showing Jota inside and make him go down the line on to his weaker foot - if he doesn't, it's just a matter of time before he scored or has one parried out to an in-rushing forward. 

Apart from the above, we simply need to compete faster and stronger. They are shit and lack any quality other than Jota. They are simply out-battling us and coming out of challenges with the ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Because it's a derby game.  Our plan won't have been to panic and lump it to Kodjia.

Anyone expecting anything other than this kind of game in a derby is **** deluded.

That’s a weak excuse - Its literally every players first thought to pump it long 

I can accept a frantic 15 mins but then whatever plan Bruce has for our play (lol) should start to become evident

We have markedly better players but a poor approach has turned this into a complete lottery 

• Like 2

Just now, VillaCas said:

That’s a weak excuse - Its literally every players first thought to pump it long 

I can accept a frantic 15 mins but then whatever plan Bruce has for our play (lol) should start to become evident

We have markedly better players but a poor approach has turned this into a complete lottery 

If he wanted to play a long ball game, he'd have started Davis.

As I said in the "Steve Bruce" thread, we're setup to keep the ball down and pass it around, getting it wide and crossing for Kodjia.  The fact players are in an intense atmosphere means they panic more.  It's also why Blues' players are up for it more.

It's like people have never watched a derby game at St. Andrews before. They're always **** terrible matches.

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

The hoof, the whole hoof and nothing but the hoof.

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

As I said in the "Steve Bruce" thread, we're setup to keep the ball down and pass it around, getting it wide and crossing for Kodjia.  The fact players are in an intense atmosphere means they panic more.  It's also why Blues' players are up for it more.

It's like people have never watched a derby game at St. Andrews before. They're always **** terrible matches.

Only its more true of one of the teams than the other.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

But we've played like this loads of times under Bruce. Now it's only because it's a derby at st Andrews. Find that hard to believe. 

• Like 3