Villa Podcasts

Hornso

43 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I guess @omariqy’s suggestion might have been a little tongue in cheek, but it’s really quite straight forward to set up a podcast remotely. Use Zencastr to record and Audacity to edit, both are free. It’s only the time involved that costs anything. 

I am being serious tbh. I want to do it. What's the best equipment to get to record remotely?

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I am being serious tbh. I want to do it. What's the best equipment to get to record remotely?

You can pick up a desktop mic for nothing nowadays. Literally search Amazon for ‘podcast microphone ’ or ‘vocal microphone’ and you’ll see loads. The harder part would be the editing and mixing (you can get free editing software, like ‘audacity’), making videos, and choosing an actual podcast angle, I guess. I don’t think many people, other than VTers, would actually want to listen to a podcast where the hosts are different every week.

Like many others, I’ve considered doing a Villa podcast before, but I don’t have the time for it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Please put it on a podcast platform and not just YouTube, as some of us prefer audio to video and tend to listen while commuting. Lots of really great Villa podcasts out there, would be great to have another one.

‘Really great’ is a stretch, in my opinion :D

But there are definitely LOTS.

The one that makes me laugh is The Athletic’s 1874 podcast, with the intro claiming “we bring you the final word on Aston Villa”.... they then proceed to produce a 20-minute podcast once a fortnight, while the other pods post hour long pods weekly :lol:

Just now, Rob182 said:

The one that makes me laugh is The Athletic’s 1874 podcast, with the intro claiming “we bring you the final word on Aston Villa”.... they then proceed to produce a 20-minute podcast once a fortnight, while the other pods post hour long pods weekly :lol:

I like Dan but Evans makes my teeth itch. Was relieved when the Villa View came back, Tom is a much better straight man to Dan's... straight man. For the Love of Paul McGrath is another good listen.  

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

I like Dan but Evans makes my teeth itch. Was relieved when the Villa View came back, Tom is a much better straight man to Dan's... straight man. For the Love of Paul McGrath is another good listen.  

Yeah I like Dan and Tom. I like the Claret & Blue podcast too. Evans is okay, but that pod in general is regularly too short and sparse. Though I can’t stand when Evans says “Listen” all the time.

I’ve never listened to the LOPM one. 

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

1874 is basically content marketing for an Athletic subscription. And while he may be a good writer, doesn't seem as though Gregg Evans has any great access to valuable club insights.  MOMS, Round the Lamp, and Heart of the Holte are some of my favorites. Villa View as well. Need to check out Love of Paul McGrath - never came across it.

One thing you need on any pod cast is is an authority figure, someone who has more knowledge than the average listener, which can be difficult with a subject like ours.

The holtecast for example suffers from this, it's like overhearing 2 mates conversation in a pub at times, its irritating as it's nothing but their rambling opinions....often based on less facts than us football nerds already know.

My point being if anyone is setting up a podcast you need an angle, something to set you apart, as all the best ones do.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

One thing you need on any pod cast is is an authority figure, someone who has more knowledge than the average listener, which can be difficult with a subject like ours.

The holtecast for example suffers from this, it's like overhearing 2 mates conversation in a pub at times and can be irritating as it's nothing but their rambling opinions....often based on less facts than us football nerds already know.

My point being if anyone is setting up a podcast you need an angle, something to set you apart as all the best ones do.

Yeah agree. It's why I like Claret and Blue because of Mat Kendrick. He knows the industry, has the stories and a decent knowledge base.

I have a good insight into the football industry through my work which hopefully will help.

The key will be feedback. Let's get it going and see how we get on and look to try and improve it by asking VT what needs to be better. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Yeah agree. It's why I like Claret and Blue because of Mat Kendrick. He knows the industry, has the stories and a decent knowledge base.

I have a good insight into the football industry through my work which hopefully will help.

The key will be feedback. Let's get it going and see how we get on and look to try and improve it by asking VT what needs to be better. 

We have a lot of knowledge on this site that could be utilised really well if done right....just stay away from the 'comedy' side. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The holtecast for example suffers from this, it's like overhearing 2 mates conversation in a pub at times and can be irritating as it's nothing but their rambling opinions....often based on less facts than us football nerds already know.

My point being if anyone is setting up a podcast you need an angle, something to set you apart as all the best ones do.

i guess it depends on whether the aim is to reach a bigger audience to just those on here, and whether the aim is to make money from the exercise. if either are true then you have a valid point. the villa view doesn't claim to have more knowledge than the average listener, or have any insights into club matters, but they have the established fanbase now.

if the aim is to basically create an audio version of villatalk purely for the enjoyment of doing so, then sounds like a good idea.

Just now, tomav84 said:

i guess it depends on whether the aim is to reach a bigger audience to just those on here, and whether the aim is to make money from the exercise. if either are true then you have a valid point. the villa view doesn't claim to have more knowledge than the average listener, or have any insights into club matters, but they have the established fanbase now.

if the aim is to basically create an audio version of villatalk purely for the enjoyment of doing so, then sounds like a good idea.

I'm sure anyone making a pod cast wants to make it as good as possible regardless of aims!

Â