Villa Podcasts

Hornso

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

villa view is definitely the best out there. i don't mind MOMS, a little swearing doesn't bother me, but probably not suitable for a podcast. but for pure football chat, VV does take it for me

gather round the lamp is a decent one too from what little i've heard of it

I wouldn't mind the swearing so much if it was necessary, but I can't put the podcast on with the kids around because of it, it's not used to emphasise any point so it just comes across as crass.

I've not listened to the Gather 'Round the Lamp yet but will check it out!

Gather round the Lamp is a favourite of mine. VV has faltered for me this season with some of the stuff they have come out with re Douglas Luiz v Hourihane. I have little or no time for Dolan as he doesn't really watch the matches and doesn't add anything for me . Likewise Tom doesn't but at least he seems to be pretty professional in how he does his research and steers the conversation. 

• Like 1

Villa View is the best straight Villa chat podcast. Straightforward, down to earth, no gimmicks, 'authentic'. It's average fans putting together good content about the club. Their YouTube stuff is good as well.

MOMS is much more of a banter cast. Not for everyone, can be a little smug and self satisfied in a way that'll put some people off and it's not really just about Villa discussion. It's basically grumpy old lads being sarcy. I quite like it but I can see why some wouldn't.

Gather Round the Lamp is good. It's hard to criticise it really as it's just 2 guys talking about that weeks Villa news. It's the driest of the 3 but I think part of that is its still being fairly new. To their credit they are doing some coverage of the women's team as well. My only 'issue' with it is the American chap unfortunately comes across in my head as talking in rhetoric and catchphrases, with a weird mix of Americanisms and stuff picked up from English football discussions, so there's this odd feeling he's winging it, that there's not really that much conviction behind it. I'm reminded of marketeer throwing out buzzwords in a meeting. That's really harsh and I enjoy the podcast but I can't help it - I've no doubt the guy knows his stuff and enjoy listening to his insight but the accent and the terms used and stuff just has my head second guessing me.

We're quite blessed with Villa podcasts these days. After the Villa Review ended I stopped with Villa podcasts entirely but I now listen to 3 avidly.

• Like 2

Interesting to read all the above thoughts on the various Villa podcasts. I too gave up on MOMS for some of the reasons already mentioned (sweary, cynical and rather self-satisfied). In fact, that is one of the reasons I quite enjoy Gather 'Round The Lamp – it is pretty much the opposite of all those things. Sure, it is not always searing insight, but the presenters seem genuine, upbeat and grateful to their listeners.

I recognise some of what @Chindie says above, but I would cut the American presenter (Mark, I think) a little more slack. Sure, he uses some buzzwords and North American sports sayings / clichés, but that would only annoy me if he weren't a real fan, and I certainly get the impression that he is, at least for the past decade or more (he's doing a Villa podcast, after all, and drove some truly ridiculous distance to get the Minnesota game). In a funny way I rather like hearing Villa talked about in American English. Exotic, innit? The fact is Villa have a growing fanbase around the world, not all of whom are going to be steeped in the subtleties of terminology that come naturally to some of the rest of us. I think we should just throw our arms open. So if Mark calls West Brom "Baggies" instead of "the Baggies", I don't mind too much.

The English half of the presenting team (Regan – very confusing that he has the more American name) seems like a nice chap too, although if I had one bit of advice... he sometimes appears to be reading the notes for the next discussion point while Mark is speaking. Thus, there are no interruptions, no back and forth, no "let me pick you up on that" type moments. Still, they have only done 20-odd episodes. Maybe the format will loosen up a bit with time.

As for the Villa View, I have enjoyed many of those too, although it was interesting to read @omariqy's comment that they lost him during the Hourihane vs Luiz debate. I missed that episode, though I did hit "Stop" when Tom said he thought Nyland should start against Leipzig (that's the problem with podcasts – we want them to have opinions but we can't really shout back). Still, I would certainly take a differing opinion over no opinion at all. There is nothing worse than listening to a podcast and being met with "I didn't see the game...", "I've never heard of this player...", "I haven't being following this story..." or, during the live Villa View event, "Who knows anything about Wesley?? No-one! Exactly!".... (Well, thanks to VillaTalk, I had already watched a highlights video in which I saw tantalising traits of Thompson, Atkinson and Benteke, and read a fascinating article about his personal story). So, if you're doing a podcast, please do a modicum of research. Not sure how this comment became so long. Probably best I don't go into the world of podcasts.       

• Like 1

I like em all. Good bunch of folks. The new Villa View host Jas is cool too.

I would throw in 7500toholte as well as a decent listen.

https://7500toholte.sbnation.com/aston-villa-podcast-holtecast/2019/8/29/20838819/holtecast-crystal-palace-preview-with-the-eagles-beak

For most podcasts I just approach them like listening to fellow fans chatting at the pub really. Agree with MOMS, bit too raw for me, I just dont find it a relaxing listen. Pretty much every other pod though I listen to at some point for another.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I wouldn't mind the swearing so much if it was necessary, but I can't put the podcast on with the kids around because of it, it's not used to emphasise any point so it just comes across as crass.

I've not listened to the Gather 'Round the Lamp yet but will check it out!

How do you deal with them hearing swearing at games?

• 4 weeks later...

My first season of listening to the Villa podcasts. Villa view is good, latest episode I pretty much agreed with everything Dan said. I’m quite glad Dolan has left. I found him tiresome and overly negative. Jas is a good addition, seems to have a good sense of what is going on and has good flow to her conversation.

• 4 months later...

Sad to see TVV go, was definitely my go-to. Disagreed with Dan's shouts from time to time but they were always quite reasoned a had a good dynamic going, you could kind of see it coming though even if the given reason for it here has only just happened. Good for Tom anyway, as said above he comes across as a great person so all the best to him.

Any decent alternatives out there? I gave Dan's one on The Athletic with Gregg Evans a go but as much as Evans seems a nice guy I wasn't really arsed listening to him justify the million strikers he was linking us to at the time. It might be better now that we're out of the silly season of the transfer market.

I am really enjoying the Claret and Blue podcast. Mainly due to Kendrick. I enjoy some of the old memories of the Big Ron era etc that he brings up from time to time. Shame about VV but I think it was coming since Rolinson left. Plenty of choice out there tho. MOMs, Holtecast and Under the gas lit lamp are all decent as well.

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

MOMs is the only one i struggle do get on board with. dont know why. they're just not my cup of tea

under the gas lamp i quite like though

Yeah I could never get MOMS, just too negative about absolutely everything and found they had a really arrogant style. 
Gaslit lamp is ok, but at times the American can be very annoying, I hate when he say “I’m ok with that” about everything. But some of the other content is good.

Was surprised at the reason behind VillaView going, but not that’s it’s going. Dan seemed to be doing more on The Athletic one and shows he been further apart. 

The One with Kendrick is decent 

Â