Villa Podcasts

Hornso

Shame The Villa View has gone, started listening to it last year. Dan and Tom had a good chemistry between them and came across as thoroughly decent human beings. 

I'd say MOMS was still better though and remains the only Villa related podcast worth listening to. Not a fan of the unnecessary swearing which often sounds quite forced, likewise some of the banter can be a little tedious. On the whole though David, Chris and Dan are all good analysts of the game and able to articulate their views in a coherent and interesting way. Dan Rodgers had been away for a few weeks and his sharp wit and dry comments were a miss for me. David Michael does a good job as the host although has a slightly annoying habit during moments of 'banter' of repeating exactly what one of the others has just said. Overall though, hands down the best out there and an enjoyable listen.

In the wake of the end of The Villa View I tried Gather Round The Lamp which only served to highlight how difficult it is to put together a good podcast. The English guy seems very unsure of himself and the American dude speaks with a total lack of punctuation, the resultant effect being akin to a machine gun attack on the ears.

At the moment, one Villa based podcast is more than enough for me anyway. I get the rest of my fix from The Guardian Football Weekly and all The Totally Football Show stuff.

• Like 1

I only got into VillaView after the play offs this year, so it’s a shame about them finishing. 
1874 isn’t bad, it’s very similar in style to how VillaView was, but Evans can be a bit boring. 
I do like the Claret and Blue one. Kendrick, Rollo and Ash do seem to have good chemistry and it’s fairly lighthearted. 
Started MOMS this season, couldn’t get into it (they had the kid from Villa Away days on and didn’t like him), swearing I couldn’t care less about, they were just so negative about everything. I genuinely find myself getting depressed and in a bad mood after listening to it, couldn’t be having that much negativity in my life so gave it a miss. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Listened to my first few MOMS and really enjoyed them.

I've unsubscribed from 1874, not got much interest in listening to a baggies fan or whatever Evans is simper on about us. He says nothing, every answer is 50/50. Bardell has lost a good partner in Julian, they had good dynamic with Bardell more in the pundit role and Julian presenting.

Evening mail one good as well, I've always liked Kendrick. Watching that you can see he's a top bloke.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Listened to my first few MOMS and really enjoyed them.

I've unsubscribed from 1874, not got much interest in listening to a baggies fan or whatever Evans is simper on about us. He says nothing, every answer is 50/50. Bardell has lost a good partner in Julian, they had good dynamic with Bardell more in the pundit role and Julian presenting.

Evening mail one good as well, I've always liked Kendrick. Watching that you can see he's a top bloke.

I think MOMS is a bit like marmite for a lot of people, I happen to really like it though. David Michael, Chris Budd and Dan Rogers are a good trio. They don’t take themselves too seriously and can have a laugh at Villa’s expense. 

The Claret n Blue podcast is okay, I too like Kendrick. But I’m not a fan of Preece, he mumbles too much and never really has much to say. It’s good to hear rollo still involved though, and James Rushton usually makes some good points. 

42 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I think MOMS is a bit like marmite for a lot of people, I happen to really like it though. David Michael, Chris Budd and Dan Rogers are a good trio. They don’t take themselves too seriously and can have a laugh at Villa’s expense. 

The Claret n Blue podcast is okay, I too like Kendrick. But I’m not a fan of Preece, he mumbles too much and never really has much to say. It’s good to hear rollo still involved though, and James Rushton usually makes some good points. 

I'm new to MOMS. Marmite is an interesting description, seemed fairly straightforward to me.

Preece bit more of a nervous character but seems alright I think. Heard him on talksport one week soon after he'd started and he was pretty nervous rushing through his piece. I like him.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm new to MOMS. Marmite is an interesting description, seemed fairly straightforward to me.

Preece bit more of a nervous character but seems alright I think. Heard him on talksport one week soon after he'd started and he was pretty nervous rushing through his piece. I like him.

A lot of people seem to think that they can be quite negative. I just think it’s more realistic and balanced than some. If they think something or someone is rubbish, they’ll say so. I’ve got no issue with that, if it’s done in the right way. 

That’s probably right regards Preece, he seems like a nice enough lad but he does rush through what he’s saying. Makes it harder to listen to. 

32 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

A lot of people seem to think that they can be quite negative. I just think it’s more realistic and balanced than some. If they think something or someone is rubbish, they’ll say so. I’ve got no issue with that, if it’s done in the right way. 

This is probably why I agree with a lot of what they said :lol:

• Haha 1

On 14/04/2020 at 12:54, The Fun Factory said:

Some more 1874 podcasts but Greg is so dreary and cliched  I am finding it hard work even with the Bardell magic.

It is an absolute ordeal to get through it. Bloke has zero personality. I know Dan wants to get a job in the media and do it fulltime. This athletic hidden away podcast ain't it. It is torture.

Better off at Villa View.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Found a Villa Pod that might interest some of you 

Two Irish lads putting stuff out weekly. Named after the Great Man himself aswell

"For The Love or Paul McGrath Podcast"

Seems to be on Apple and Spotify 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/for-the-love-of-paul-mcgrath-an-aston-villa-podcast/id1476441985

https://open.spotify.com/show/0eeVBPhkPsJ8WvkNCUWRYX

• Thanks 2

Matt Kendrick interviews Alex McLeish in the latest Claret and Blue podcast, McLeish comes across well. You can see he was clearly trying to do his best but had his hands tied by Lerner. That and the fact he wasn’t that good. Seems a nice bloke though with some interesting insights to Villa back then. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Matt Kendrick interviews Alex McLeish in the latest Claret and Blue podcast, McLeish comes across well. You can see he was clearly trying to do his best but had his hands tied by Lerner. That and the fact he wasn’t that good. Seems a nice bloke though with some interesting insights to Villa back then. 

I would put Mcleish in the I wouldn't mind having a drink with but not  sure of his management style along with Steve Bruce. Even Sherwood to a certain extent but he wasn't really a proper manager just a bit of a cheer leader which all fell apart in his second season.  McLeish was  just the wrong appointment at the time and it showed that Lerner had basically given up.   At least they always saw managing Villa as a honour unlike some managers such as Houllier and O'Leary who seemed liked they had never got over leaving their previous clubs.

MON was quite charismatic but it did feel like it was all him and not the club, and the way he left was a right old mess and he didn't change with the times.   Garde was a rabbit in the headlights who probably still needs counselling after his time with us. Di Matteo not long enough at Villa.  Lambert for about the first 18 months was ok but the situation ground him down to a incoherent mess.   I would say Deano is the first manager who really 'gets' Villa since John Gregory.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

Started listening to the Claret & Blue podcast the last few months. Since the end of The Villa View it has shot to #1 for me. I like Dan Bardell but his podcast with Evans just isn't as good.

• Like 3

On 27/05/2020 at 01:17, Hornso said:

Started listening to the Claret & Blue podcast the last few months. Since the end of The Villa View it has shot to #1 for me. I like Dan Bardell but his podcast with Evans just isn't as good.

Agreed although they have had some good interviewees recently  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Agreed although they have had some good interviewees recently  

Both podcasts have had some great guests and interviews over the past couple of months.

Â