• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Unless there was another, it was me who's lad is going to his second game. 

I'm worried in the sense that, at 5:20pm when we are walking back to the car, I don't want to be saying 'it's not always like that mate', or 'no they don't always just boo and call the manager names', you know, that kind of thing. 

I've deliberately not taken him for a while, becuase I want to try and build some positive experiences around it for him, so it becomes something he enjoys. 

He's excited this morning, whilst I'm just wondering if I should have left it for a few more weeks. Bit sad really isn't it. 

Yeah I think it was you bud. I totally get everything you've said and I was thinking when I posted that about the difference when I was (maybe) his age and what your lad will got, comparatively. <edit, as in, it's one thing seeing it on the telly, but to be in the mix, no martin Tyler or whoever, just the sound of the crowd, amazing. The sights obv but the sounds, scary as a kid, 40k people packed together for Church. Ain't no Church these days, the sermons are shite) but yeah hope your lad gets the best of the villa atmos one day soon>>>

I found VP daunting and scary because of how electrified the place was and how united we were and passionate, at a time, back then when we were just "meh" but it was great entertainment. Not like today where as you say things are sort of proper tense in a is he / isn't he (Bruce) a dead man walking / lost some fans etc. As in negativity and stuff beyond his comprehension unless you explain the back story of our predicament. 

AnywY as much as I think we need new manager I'd still happily take 3 points and as many 3 points as we can get so also on that score I hope your laddie there has a good one, sees a good game! Im out near Welsh border but will be tuning in or accessing the game through whatever means I can. Have a good one Wazzap!

Edited by Midfielder

8 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Hiddink and Ranieri were contenders for the Middlesbrough job when Karanka was fired. Van Gaal is being linked with a job in the J League.

If we're serious about getting out of the hole we are in we need to go all out for a manager like that or start from scratch and invest a bit more time in a manager like Heckingbottom. We can't afford another mediocre appointment.

And then if to concrete my point about Heckingbottom further, Barnsley getting battered by Sheff Utd

I do think someone in the mould of Eddie Howe etc would struggle here. They have that mentality of pulling together and really fighting for each other.

We have an entirely misplaced "big club" mentality of instant gratification and there is so often friction between the fans and what goes on the pitch. We have to change the whole attitude of the club IMO. 

Bildresultat för it's happening gif

Rafa Benitez hints at growing tension at Newcastle between himself and owner Mike Ashley

The Toon have only managed to bring in six summer signings so far

rafa-benitez1.jpg 

Rafa Benitez has given the biggest sign yet of the growing tension with the Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley by admitting his frustration with the summer transfer window.

Benitez met Ashley at Sports Direct’s headquarters in Shirebrook for a four-hour meeting in May once the Championship title had been concluded in dramatic fashion. The former Liverpool and Real Madrid manager presented a plan to Ashley that included investment in players and infrastructure.

When he left, the Newcastle owner released a statement which read: “I’ve confirmed to Rafa and Lee that they can have every last penny the club generates through promotion, player sales sand other means in order to build for next season.”

It was seen as the green light for a significant summer of investment, but Benitez has admitted he missed out on his first targets because of restrictions at the club. Newcastle completed their sixth signing of the summer when they bought Joselu from Stoke for £5m this week, but Huddersfield and Brighton, promoted with them, have 10 and 11 new players respectively.

When asked about the May meeting, Benitez replied curtly: “He knows what he told me and what I was thinking.”

The Spaniard was then asked if there is still a chance to make it a successful window. “It can be a better window. When you have what you have and you miss what you missed, then you can try to improve, but it cannot be ideal. It hasn’t changed anything. I am in contact with Lee (Charnley).

Ashley had gone on television last week to proclaim Newcastle could not compete in the transfer market and Benitez said of the programme: “I know what he said. I knew what the fans think about the interview. I know if I keep talking about that I will not change anything, so what I want is to be sure that the team will be good enough to compete against Huddersfield this weekend and then against Nottingham Forest and then against West Ham.

“I cannot change anything with my opinion about the interview, if I say this, or I say that. I want to concentrate on the things that depend on me, to prepare the team.”

Benitez will have to sell more players in order to boost the likelihood of adding more players.

“We have to balance both if we can, in terms of the timing, maybe not to do this, to do that but we are trying to do both things at the same time,” he added.

Ashley attended Newcastle’s opening day defeat against Spurs, the day in which his interview was aired, but the pair once more did not meet.

“When you are in a game and we lost the game, the main thing is to understand why, the problem we had with injuries. It does not change anything in terms of what I was doing. I had been dealing with Lee Charnley for this year and a half.

“I met him (Ashley) when we were relegated and we needed to know exactly how much money we had, and then when we promote. That’s it. I don’t need too much contact if I have Lee Charnley there.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-united-transfer-news-rafa-benitez-growing-tension-mike-ashley-a7901261.html

:D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Did you see my posts the other day regarding Westwood and his 'excellent start in the division above us'? 

I admire your ambition in terms of the type of manager we should go for. I'd agree we should try but I'd say it's very unrealistic and we wouldn't get them. But, you don't ask and you don't get. So, I agree, let's try and then we need a plan B for the inevitable fail.

That plan B should not be Heckingbottom. I remember back and forth posting with you regarding the team he is 'building' at Barnsley, and I said I had them down as relegation candidates. I stand by that despite the good win over Forest in the week. My forest supporting mate said Barnsley were really poor and that Forest battered them. (Might be slightly unreliable but the stats back it up). They've lost the other 2 and have a really tough game at Sheff Utd today. 

No I didn't see them. 

You could be right about Barnsley. I haven't followed them closely since last season but I thought they lost or were going to lose a number of their key players so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't push on this season. Heckingbottom said himself in an article I was reading not long ago that they're nowhere near where he'd like them to be. I just like him as a manaager and can see him doing well whether it's at Barnsley or somewhere else.

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Unlikely bruce will leave at this stage. But if it were to happen think rule out Dean smith. Currently bottom if nit good enough for brentford certsinly not good enough for us

Agree with this. Easy to be suckered in with the fact he is a villa fan but surely not the man to get us promoted?

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Unlikely bruce will leave at this stage. But if it were to happen think rule out Dean smith. Currently bottom if nit good enough for brentford certsinly not good enough for us

A certain army general once said "Just imagine what he could do if backed"

:crylaugh:

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Agree with this. Easy to be suckered in with the fact he is a villa fan but surely not the man to get us promoted?

Actually I could support trying to bring him in because he clearly outthought and outcoached Bruce last season, head to head.  

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Actually I could support trying to bring him in because he clearly outthought and outcoached Bruce last season, head to head.  

100% agree. Look at Brentford and they are playing well, just can' hit the back of the net. Look at us, up until Saturday, and we were just really bad. There's a difference. 

Smith is a good manager and I would welcome him as a huge upgrade to moaning dinosaur we have now..

5 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

100% agree. Look at Brentford and they are playing well, just can' hit the back of the net. Look at us, up until Saturday, and we were just really bad. There's a difference. 

Smith is a good manager and I would welcome him as a huge upgrade to moaning dinosaur we have now..

Ah another di matteo.

i can't justify replacing Bruce with a manager bottom of the championship and their run in hasn't been that difficult.

if he improves maybe but right now, no way. 

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

I don't know if we could poach a Premier League manager, and I know Swansea got battered yesterday, but I'd like Paul Clement.

For 80 minutes they more than held their own I felt. Man Utd just had more in the tank in the last 10 minutes and about £300m worth of talent to do the damage.

• Like 2

On 19/08/2017 at 10:09, wazzap24 said:

Unless there was another, it was me who's lad is going to his second game. 

I'm worried in the sense that, at 5:20pm when we are walking back to the car, I don't want to be saying 'it's not always like that mate', or 'no they don't always just boo and call the manager names', you know, that kind of thing. 

I've deliberately not taken him for a while, becuase I want to try and build some positive experiences around it for him, so it becomes something he enjoys. 

He's excited this morning, whilst I'm just wondering if I should have left it for a few more weeks. Bit sad really isn't it. 

I think that he will be glad that you took him to that one. :)

On 2017-08-19 at 14:43, a m ole said:

I'm sure he'd want to come here then, since we splashed all our spare cash before FFP kicked in. He'll love being under a sell to buy policy here.

I hope he didnt see that "Fat spanish waiter" banner that were hanging from the holte.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

I hope he didnt see that "Fat spanish waiter" banner that were hanging from the holte.

With 'Potato' head as our manager and 'The Scottish Cafu' constantly being played, I think the irony in our chants and banners are being mistaken for popularity so we may seem him appointed.

Whenever we told Bruce to sit down in the past it must have been seen as a careful request for his well-being .

I can't quite believe the top choice is a manager of the side who are bottom of the Championship. 

He might be a Villa fan, and Brentford might have looked far better than us when we played them last season, but I really can't see Dean Smith being the answer.

• Like 1