• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Garde took over an impossible situation.

He might be an awful manager. I honestly don't know.
But I don't think we can conclude that he is from his time at Villa. Any manager in the world would have struggled in that situation. We were finished.

Houllier was doing ok. I think if his health hadn't deteriorated we'd have done well under him eventually.

You know those nights out when you wake up with only vague flashes of things that happened the night before.

That is what the Garde era feels like to me. 

On 11/09/2017 at 08:12, TrentVilla said:

It's a valid point and one I'd not considered but I guess at some level I've already written this season off, I don't see us going up.

There are that many players out of contract next summer we will be starting again.

The fact that many of us feel like this before the end of September shows what a terrible job Bruce has done, and what an awful decision the board made not replacing him in the summer. 

I'm beginning to feel more anger towards the board than Bruce. 

1 hour ago, MuleAthon said:

The game has moved on since the "hairdrier treatment" school of management and we need to move on with it, but also be patient as it will surely take a long time to turn this sinking ship around. 

You been watching to many sky pundits making a simple game complicated

Just now, av1 said:

The fact that many of us feel like this before the end of September shows what a terrible job Bruce has done, and what an awful decision the board made not replacing him in the summer. 

Yes I have written this season off for promotion - but thats why I am in no rush to replace Bruce. We are replacing a manager at a time when the pickings are most scarce - get it wrong we write of next season as well !

31 minutes ago, av1 said:

To be fair to the Board there were a large number of fans who thought Bruce was the answer right up until last Saturday. 

I think there was an argument for appointing him, and not.

Then there was an argument for sacking him in January, and not.

Then another - maybe more powerful - argument to sack him at the end of last season but again, also a reasonable case for not.

IMO the 'Board' are only really at fault for failing to spot that in pre - season absolutely nothing had changed, and even allowing for those being friendlies didn't then act after Reading when it was as clear as day the whole thing has been a disaster.

Where they are appalling is that still nothing has been done.

( unless of course it has).

And the idea that we might somehow struggle / sink on with him if we win tonight is too ridiculous to contemplate.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

To be fair to the Board there were a large number of fans who thought Bruce was the answer right up until last Saturday. 

I think there was an argument for appointing him, and not.

Then there was an argument for sacking him in January, and not.

Then another - maybe more powerful - argument to sack him at the end of last season but again, also a reasonable case for not.

IMO the 'Board' are only really at fault for failing to spot that in pre - season absolutely nothing had changed, and even allowing for those being friendlies didn't then act after Reading when it was as clear as day the whole thing has been a disaster.

Where they are appalling is that still nothing has been done.

( unless of course it has).

And the idea that we might somehow struggle / sink on with him if we win tonight is too ridiculous to contemplate.

But once the season started , what can they do ? - Sack him and appoint a manager who was to crap to secure another club in the close season ? - or persuade an in work manager to jump ship after 4 matches ?  - At the moment our options are very limited

3 hours ago, MuleAthon said:

The game has moved on since the "hairdrier treatment" school of management and we need to move on with it, but also be patient as it will surely take a long time to turn this sinking ship around. 

Wasn't that Fergie!? He's pretty much the most successful manager of all time.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Not every move we make in life is progressive....we just think it is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hippo said:

But once the season started , what can they do ? - Sack him and appoint a manager who was to crap to secure another club in the close season ? - or persuade an in work manager to jump ship after 4 matches ?  - At the moment our options are very limited

This is a very good point, which is all the more reason he should have been sacked in the summer. However he is so poor at the moment I believe we need to somehow find a good replacement. We need to flex our muscles somewhat, given that we're a relatively big fish in a relatively small pond. Crystal Palace have set the merrygo round going and so hopefully something can be achieved. I know you've been a supporter of keeping him, and you make a very valid point, regarding our current position, but surely you must yourself be loosing some faith and patience by now?

7 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Fergie was tactically astute, could spot a player, had a great backroom staff but also had the hairdryer in him. There are few that have all of those and without the tactics bit i dont think you can succeed in the modern game.

Let's sack the manager, new guy must be better... gets worse.

and here we are in the bottom end of the Championship.