The Chop List - Summer 2016

Condimentalist

Usually the transfer window is a time for excitement about new players, and I am very pleased with the Terry signing. I've really come round to it in a big way. Clearly we also need a keeper (probably Johnstone), we know Bruce wants Whelan (and you have to think it'll happen), and personally I'd like to see a quality attacking player come in given that this was our main downfall last year. 

This is all well and good, but our squad size is ridiculous. In many ways therefore I'd argue that pruning the squad effectively is at least as important as who comes in. Currently we have 34 players in and around the first team including likely signings - that's far too many to maintain the sort of solid, driven team spirit we need to mount a title challenge. It's a long season but I think we need to get this down to 25/26 max - which means cutting 9 or so.

This thread is for discussion about where that might happen.

Goalkeepers: Jed Steer, Mark Bunn, Sam Johnstone (probably) [3] 

Assuming Johnstone comes in you'd think we'll stick here, although I do wonder whether Steer might think it's time to move on in which case we may need to buy again somewhere. Obviously if Johnstone doesn't happen we need another number 1, it's an important position.

Defenders: Alan Hutton, Richie de Laet, Micah Richards, James Bree, Tommy Elphick, John Terry, James Chester, Nathan Baker, Neil Taylor, Jordan Amavi, Aly Cissokho [11]

We're way overloaded at the back - right back especially. I'd love to ship Richards but it's not going to happen, but this means we have four right backs even before you consider that Bacuna can play here. I see Hutton says he's staying but it might be time to be ruthless. He's been a good servant but one of him or de Laet has to go in my view as they're not young but retain resale value. 

Elsewhere Elphick isn't up to it and you'd think he'd have suitors - I'd see him go given that Jedinak and Richards can play there as needed. 

On the left you'd think Amavi will leave, which is a shame IMO but understandable from all sides. If Cissokho is happy to stay as our back-up left back then we're OK here, if not we'll need to replace him.

Midfielders: Jedinak, Bacuna, Tshibola, Lansbury, Hourihane, Veretout, Bjarnason, Gardner, Lyden, Gil, Adomah, Green, Grealish, Whelan (probably) [14]

Again, 14 midfielders is absurd. I don't really know why we signed Bjarnason for this squad but he's obviously going to stay. I'm not totally sure why we're in for Whelan either. On ability I'd happily ship Gardner but I don't think we will, and he seems a good character anyway. Veretout is probably a decent player at this level but if we can get £6m or so for him he's an obvious choice to leave. Gil will surely leave, Lyden should go out on loan, and Tshibola too if Bruce isn't going to use him. If someone wants to take Bacuna I'm open to it but he's a decent utility player so not too fussed either way. I think it's a big season for Green, and I like Adomah, but even still I wouldn't mind some additional quality on the wing if the right player is available. 

Forwards: McCormack, Kodjia, Hogan, Agbonlahor, Hepburn-Murphy, Davis (6) 

One area we're not overloaded in IMO, despite the numbers. Hogan and Gabby are both very injury prone, we have no idea how RMC will perform and frankly the same for RHM. Davis should head out on loan, maybe RHM too if he's not ready. We're stuck with Gabby but we're in real danger on being over-reliant on Kodjia again IMO. Striker is so vital so I'd like us to strengthen here - maybe someone who can also play wing. I've seen Walters mentioned so maybe Bruce is feeling the same. 

The chop list

So whittling down all of the above, I think we should realistically be looking to get rid of:

- Hutton/de Laet

- Elphick

- Amavi

- Veretout

- Gil

- Tshibola (loan)

- Lyden (loan)

- Davis (loan)

- Hepburn-Murphy (loan)

Thoughts?

I'd keep Tshibola, Hutton and De Laet. The youngsters can all go on loan if the right club comes in with an offer of regular playing time in a competitive league, ideally league 1.

It's been mentioned in various places up to 10 could go. I would like the 10 to be:

Gollini

Richards

Elphick

Agbonlahor

Veretout

Amavi

Sanchez (gone)

Gil

Cissokho

Kozak (gone)

+

Bunn and/or Steer

Defence could do with a good CB (got to assume if Richards and Elphick are shifted, Alex Bruce will be on his way in)

Wouldn't be upset with any or all of Bacuna, Tshibola and Gardner leaving

Open to McCormack going for a good price

Don't imagine all those will be shifted but if we start to really trim the squad down then that means a huge amount off the wages and some money in the coffers for a cheeky august luxury buy or 2

• Like 1

I've said so elsewhere but I cannot see the logic in saying Richards is woeful but nobody wants him so sell someone who is better than him !!!

So for me saying Hutton and Elphick go because Richards won't doesn't add up.

Cissokko, Richards, Gardner, Bacuna, Gil, Vertout, Agnonlahor, all should go. All deadwood. 

In the case of Richards we should pay him to leave.

Gardner - massive cock up giving him a contract but surely somebody would have him.

Next off the rank would be Hutton and Elphick if we got one in, and Amavi as he seems to want to go.

We need some pace and some power. All our strength is at the back. We only have Green and Kodja with pace.

If we get it, Adomah and Grealish could go, but I'd be happy with both staying if we don't.

For me Lansbury will be key. If he plays regularly, and plays up the pitch, he changes how we set up. That's where I can see Thor being useful, otherwise he's another could go.

Goalkeepers: Jed Steer, Mark Bunn, Sam Johnstone Gollini

Gollini and Steer to go.

I prefer Steer over Bunn just because Bunn is not that good.. but i think Bunn is good for the squad morale. Looks like a bubbly character and i havent seen too much of Steer to pick him over Bunn. Also Bunn is happy to be a number 2. Steer may want games. 

Defenders: Alan Hutton, Richie de Laet, Micah Richards, James Bree, Tommy Elphick, John Terry, James Chester, Nathan Baker, Neil Taylor, Jordan Amavi, Aly Cissokho [11]

Micah Hutton Elphick Amavi Cissohko to go.

Aly is gone by all reports. Hutton said he wont be leaving. Amavi is going. Elphick should be going if we keep Samba. If Hutton stays.. maybe Bree can play in midfield?

Midfielders: Jedinak, Bacuna, Tshibola, Lansbury, Hourihane, Veretout, Bjarnason, Gardner, Lyden, Gil, Adomah, Green, Grealish, Whelan (probably) [14]

Bacuna Tshibola, veretout Gardner Gil should go. 

Cant see Bacuna leaving. Tish is not liked much it seems. Veretout and Gil will go. Gardner will likely stay but i think we should flog him to Forest. Lyden on loan maybe. 

Just loan for Davis. 

Edited by KSV

Is Samba still here training? If he's gone to Portugal then surely he'll be signing but I haven't seen any images of him training so assumed he's not with us anymore 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

How dissapointing - I saw this thread and hoped we had a butcher amongst us offering cut price meat :( 

I thought it was about a karate film

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

Is Samba still here training? If he's gone to Portugal then surely he'll be signing but I haven't seen any images of him training so assumed he's not with us anymore 

He's been training with the rest of the players over there, have been pictures of him alongside Terry and co. online (Birmingham mail) 

I hope we aren't too focussed on getting players in and just end up "overloading", the squad desperately needs trimming and we need to get rid of the useless ones before adding too many imo. I hope we already have a few outgoing transfers arranged and they just haven't been finalised yet.

20 hours ago, Jareth said:

I'll have lamb first normally, then pork would be second and third on the list probably mutton.

The wife wants a Lamb Bacuna and I'll have a Hutton Vindaloo. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KSV said:

Goalkeepers: Jed Steer, Mark Bunn, Sam Johnstone Gollini

Gollini and Steer to go.

I prefer Steer over Bunn just because Bunn is not that good.. but i think Bunn is good for the squad morale. Looks like a bubbly character and i havent seen too much of Steer to pick him over Bunn. Also Bunn is happy to be a number 2. Steer may want games. 

Micah Hutton Elphick Amavi Cissohko to go.

Aly is gone by all reports. Hutton said he wont be leaving. Amavi is going. Elphick should be going if we keep Samba. If Hutton stays.. maybe Bree can play in midfield?

Bacuna Tshibola, veretout Gardner Gil should go. 

Cant see Bacuna leaving. Tish is not liked much it seems. Veretout and Gil will go. Gardner will likely stay but i think we should flog him to Forest. Lyden on loan maybe. 

Just loan for Davis. 

GKeepers...... get rid of Bunn & Steer, Gollini will be in the second season of his loan agreement so keep for the time being, and look elsewhere for a GK, as I don't rate Johnstone.

Defenders....... Get rid of Hutton, Richards,Elphick,Amavi and Cissokho. Don't sign Samba, and pay off Richards if nobody comes in for him.

Midfield.......If they don't want to stay, get rid of Gil and Vertout. Sell Gardner at any price. Loan out Tshibola,Lyden..Tell Bacuna, Adomah and Grealish to shape up or ship out. Hope Whelan is cheap and signed on a similar basis as Terry.

Forwards.....Sell or Pay off Agbonlahor. Warn McCormack as per Bacuna/Adomah/Grealish, to shape up or ship out. Give Davis and Hepburn-Murphy more game time.

So it's a case of selling/getting rid by any means,9 or 11 and sell 4 others if we get decent offers.So could effectively be 15 gone from the above list. We can live in hope eh?

I'd get rid of Hutton and Richards fro the defence. I'd like to keep Veretout but think he'll go along with Gil and Sanchez. I'd chop Bacuna. I'd loan out Davis but I'd want RHM involved. I'd carry the big squad until Xmas then judge again.