4. Gardner

5. Elphick (looks likely)

6. Sanchez (gone)

7. Gil (gone)

8. Bacuna 

9. Steer (loan)

10. Hutton

11. Tshibola

clear that lot out and our wage bill would be dramatically cut and the squad in much better shape.

• Like 1

We arguably need two players for each position plus some youth. Backups in brackets. So;

GK Johnstone (Steer)

GOALKEEPERS TO LEAVE; Bunn

RB Bree (DeLaet)

CBs Chester Terry (Baker Samba)

LB Taylor (Amavi)

DEFENDERS TO LEAVE: Hutton, Richards, Elphick and assuming Cissokho

RM Adomah (Elmo)

CMs Hourihane Whelen (Lansbury Bjarnason)

LM Green (Grealish)

MIDFIELDERS TO LEAVE: Jedinak, Bacuna, Gardner, Tshibola and assuming Veretout

STs Kodjia Hogan (McCormack Agbonlahor)

That's 10 earmarked for departure on my list. Any more ins may change that. Rest of the spots go to youth. Very manageable squad, no areas lacking cover. Still hate the midfield though...

2 hours ago, Infinte_Pest said:

errr how big is our first team squad at the moment? I'm guessing a little bigger than 20, even minus Vertout, Gill, Elphick

We have 37 players in our first-team squad as of 14th July 2017.

Removing the youth/u-23's we have 28 players in our first-team squad.

47 minutes ago, Daweii said:

We have 37 players in our first-team squad as of 14th July 2017.

Removing the youth/u-23's we have 28 players in our first-team squad.

I make it 29 (but that is including Green as a first team squad member)

Jed Steer      GK
Mark Bunn      GK
Sam Johnstone  GK
Pierluigi Gollini    GK (Loaned out)

Nathan Baker    DF
Neil Taylor    DF
Micah Richards    DF
Tommy Elphick    DF
James Chester    DF
James Bree    DF
Alan Hutton    DF
Jordan Amavi    DF
Ritchie De Laet    DF
Aly Cissokho    DF

Carles Gil    MF (Loaned out)
Henri Lansbury     MF 
Leandro Bacuna    MF
Aaron Tshibola     MF
Conor Hourihane    MF
Jordan Veretout MF
Andre Green     MF
Birkir Bjarnason MF
Gary Gardner    MF
Carlos Sanchez  MF (Loaned out till end of contract)
Mile Jedinak    MF
Albert Adomah   MF
Jordan Lyden    MF
Jack Grealish     MF

Scott Hogan    ST
Gabby Agbonlahor ST
Jonathan Kodjia ST
Ross McCormack     ST

Edited by TheStagMan

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I make it 29

Jed Steer      GK
Mark Bunn      GK
Sam Johnstone  GK
Pierluigi Gollini    GK (Loaned out)

Nathan Baker    DF
Neil Taylor    DF
Micah Richards    DF
Tommy Elphick    DF
James Chester    DF
James Bree    DF
Alan Hutton    DF
Jordan Amavi    DF
Ritchie De Laet    DF
Aly Cissokho    DF

Carles Gil    MF (Loaned out)
Henri Lansbury     MF 
Leandro Bacuna    MF
Aaron Tshibola     MF
Conor Hourihane    MF
Jordan Veretout MF
Andre Green     MF
Birkir Bjarnason MF
Gary Gardner    MF
Carlos Sanchez  MF (Loaned out till end of contract)
Mile Jedinak    MF
Albert Adomah   MF
Jordan Lyden    MF
Jack Grealish     MF

Scott Hogan    ST
Gabby Agbonlahor ST
Jonathan Kodjia ST
Ross McCormack     ST

Sanchez has left permanently i think?

2 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Sanchez has left permanently i think?

effectively, but i think it is a 2 year loan deal and technically he is still a Villa player. I didn't count him though.

19/20 you say and 5/6 youth team? Hmmm how about

GK - Johnstone - Steer - Sarkic

DR - DeLaet - Bree

DC - Chester - Baker - Samba - Terry

DL - Taylor - Amavi

MR - Adomah - Elmohamady

MC - Jedinak - Lansbury - Hourihane - Bjarnason - Lyden

ML - Grealish - Green

ST - Kodjia - Hogan - Agbonlahor - Hepburn-Murphy - Davis

So no place for - BUNN - HUTTON - ELPHICK - RICHARDS - CISSOKHO - BACUNA - TSHIBOLA - GARDNER - VERETOUT - McCORMACK in my reckoning

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

19/20 you say and 5/6 youth team? Hmmm how about

GK - Johnstone - Steer - Sarkic

DR - DeLaet - Bree

DC - Chester - Baker - Samba - Terry

DL - Taylor - Amavi

MR - Adomah - Elmohamady

MC - Jedinak - Lansbury - Hourihane - Bjarnason - Lyden

ML - Grealish - Green

ST - Kodjia - Hogan - Agbonlahor - Hepburn-Murphy - Davis

So no place for - BUNN - HUTTON - ELPHICK - RICHARDS - CISSOKHO - BACUNA - TSHIBOLA - GARDNER - VERETOUT - McCORMACK in my reckoning

Swap Davis for McCormack and swap Amavi for either Bedau or Borg and I'd be fairly happy with that. 

Gabby, Hutton, Elphick, McCormack, Jedinak, Richards. I know Jedi played a big part last season, but with his massive wages, limited ability, injuries, age and us hopefully developing a totally different style of play I think he should be moved on.

If I'm counting low that is probably £200k-250k/w in wages that will spend the lion part on the bench or in the stands, or injured.

Then it's Gardner, Cissokho, Amavi & Veretout (sadly) Bunn? Bacuna, Tshibola,.

That's 13 players who could/should be out the door for various reasons. Be it financial, attitude, ability or simply over crowding.

16 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

We arguably need two players for each position plus some youth. Backups in brackets. So;

GK Johnstone (Steer)

GOALKEEPERS TO LEAVE; Bunn

RB Bree (DeLaet)

CBs Chester Terry (Baker Samba)

LB Taylor (Amavi)

DEFENDERS TO LEAVE: Hutton, Richards, Elphick and assuming Cissokho

RM Adomah (Elmo)

CMs Hourihane Whelen (Lansbury Bjarnason)

LM Green (Grealish)

MIDFIELDERS TO LEAVE: Jedinak, Bacuna, Gardner, Tshibola and assuming Veretout

STs Kodjia Hogan (McCormack Agbonlahor)

That's 10 earmarked for departure on my list. Any more ins may change that. Rest of the spots go to youth. Very manageable squad, no areas lacking cover. Still hate the midfield though...

Jedinak?! Wtf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Jedinak?! Wtf

It's really simple; do you want to see Jedinak and Whelen in the same team? Therefore Jedinak is surplus to requirements. Besides, we only used him for defensive reasons (it's been well discussed how awful his passing is) but now we have Terry in defence too. He's just not needed and we should sell him while we can.

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

It's really simple; do you want to see Jedinak and Whelen in the same team? Therefore Jedinak is surplus to requirements. Besides, we only used him for defensive reasons (it's been well discussed how awful his passing is) but now we have Terry in defence too. He's just not needed and we should sell him while we can.

So when Wheelan is ruled out for the season in game 1.. who will you pick? Madness. We need two. When Jedinak was out last season.. we struggled badly..  We had to move Lansbury and Hourihane deeper. No thanks. Keep them both. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KSV said:

So when Wheelan is ruled out for the season in game 1.. who will you pick? Madness. We need two. When Jedinak was out last season.. we struggled badly..  We had to move Lansbury and Hourihane deeper. No thanks. Keep them both. 

So who are your four central midfielders (assuming two players for every position)? Mine are Hourihane, Whelen, Lansbury and Bjarnason. Two of those will sit on the bench most of the season, therefore I don't think we need Jedinak. They are the cover for Whelen. He was also there to provide defensive cover, which the purchase of Terry should now remove the need for. So, squad size in mind, who do you sell instead?

Edited by jackbauer24
Spelling

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

46 games, lots of midweek matches, Jedinak often on international duty, I think we can keep both for this season. Competition and cover. Just sell Gardner and Tishbola to go on loan.

Considering we still needed to ship out about 10 players and probably wanted as many as 14/15 to go we're doing ok.

Kozak, Mason, Sanchez and Veretout off the books, with Gil and Tshibola out on loan is a good start.

Still leaves a pretty long list to 'chop'

Gardner, Cissokho, Elphick, McCormack and/or Hutton leaving wouldn't surprise anyone after the recent rumours. If we didn't have a Gabby then maybe there's a case for McCormack being given another chance but we already have a 30 something year old player with some off the field problems to move on from who we need to get his mojo back in the same position, and he's one of our own, so I'm glad we're thinking or trying at least to move him on. The other 4 would probably improve us by their absence now have better players in their positions.

Which would still leave Bunn, Richards and Bacuna who don't look like they'll be getting many games and don't really have the fans behind them. And don't look like there's many takers either. Mind you as my 3 least favourite players we have right now it doesn't surprise me much.

I hope we don't loan Steer out. Unless Sarkic is good enough to sit on the bench. I couldn't handle watching Bunn in goal again even if it's cup games. And the thought of Bunn stepping in in case of injury worries me. If he's a "good guy in training" and all that and has literally no desire to ever be a first choice keeper before he retires, then keep him around for his contract but please, for the love of Paul McGrath Himself, keep him away from the first team.

Bacuna still has 3 years left to run on his contract. 3 YEARS!! who the? what the? when the? If he's going to be a cross we have to bear then at least he's finally 3rd choice in every position where he allegedly 'plays'. That's something.

Richards? Well...

But the real possibility of having Bunn run a year down on his contract and being stuck with Richards for the next couple of years and Bacuna for longer than even we deserve, would make the culling of this squad over the last 3 windows a massive success in my eyes. And that's a reason to be cheerful after years of the Lambert bomb squads and the can't sell so can't invest years of Lerner followed by the folly of Sherwood. Dr X and his new team should take the credit they deserve imo. Recruitment is a different quantity obviously. RDM spent some money badly no question. Though he did preside over Chester, Jedinak, RDL, Adomah and Kodjia so I'd say he was more hit and miss than disaster. But as far as Xia's windows have gone so far and with the departures rumoured in the press looking likely, they will have done what a lot of us thought was needed and ripped that relegation squad to shreds in 12 months.

Guzan, Lescott, Clark, Okore, Crespo, Bennett, Sinclair, Richardson, Gueye, Traore, Gestede, Westwood, Ayew, Veretout, Sanchez, Kozak, Gil and surely someone else.... oh yeah, almost wiped from my memory (though annoyingly not quite it seems), it's CHARLES NZOGBIA people!! They have all left in the last year or so. Albeit aided a little by some contracts running out, but that's 18 down and what? 6 to go? Nice work.

• Like 1