General Election 2017

ender4

29 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Abbott isn't perfect, I'm not a fan, but it is strange how others get less stick for errors. Abbott becomes the butt of jokes, Farron, Boris, Hammond and others who have made monumental cock ups are not dragged up constantly. If it isn't race, it is misogyny.

I've seen Boris man times being called a laughing stock so that isn't true. How about Cameron being called piggy boy?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That is pathetic

What do you expect from thst utter, utter, utter moron Owen Jones.  The bloke makes me want to puke.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've seen Boris man times being called a laughing stock so that isn't true. How about Cameron being called piggy boy?

And people rushing to this thread when Abbott does something wrong, compared to - as a recent example - Johnson today.

And even through other massive mistakes across the board, the answer is Abbott.

If the interview today was Abbott, this thread would have been resurrected quite quickly, instead of a few hours later (I did wait to see)

Edited by DK82

16 minutes ago, DK82 said:

He isn't aiming shots to get into power. Another election suits Labour and Corbyn, as opposition, is trying to weaken May's grasp. I know we are prepared for another campaign when it comes.

Maybe I'm wrong but I got  the impression his government in waiting comments weren't  anything to do with having an election ?

i would also think secretly Corbyn doesn't want an election , he wouldn't be facing May ( though as I've said elsewhere none of the current contenders scream out as being floating voter friendly ) and i don't think the Tories  would repeat the same mistakes next time around  .... another election would probably still see the Tories as the largest party ... (though I'm sure you'll disagree on that point ) 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I got  the impression his government in waiting comments weren't  anything to do with having an election ?

i would also think secretly Corbyn doesn't want an election , he wouldn't be facing May ( though as I've said elsewhere none of the current contenders scream out as being floating voter friendly ) and i don't think the Tories  would repeat the same mistakes next time around  .... another election would probably still see the Tories as the largest party ... (though I'm sure you'll disagree on that point ) 

The best way to put pressure on is exactly what he is doing. We have all been told to be prepared for another GE, so it is definitely on the cards.... I think. That is why tbe pressure is being put on.

All my opinion, same as the comments above. Doesnt mean I am right.

7 minutes ago, DK82 said:

And people rushing to this thread when Abbott does something wrong, compared to - as a recent example - Johnson today.

I think that has more to do with those things being part of the election campaign versus today being stuff about the Queen's Speech.

Add in the 'hot and sunny' and people may not have been tuned so much to their tellies and radios. I hadn't seen anything about the Boris thing until you posted it - mainly because I haven't bothered with the news today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think that has more to do with those things being part of the election campaign versus today being stuff about the Queen's Speech.

Add in the 'hot and sunny' and people may not have been tuned so much to their tellies and radios. I hadn't seen anything about the Boris thing until you posted it - mainly because I haven't bothered with the news today.

Possibly.

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

He's in a very good position. he's currently untouchable within his party. The mood music in much of the media is far more favourable. You were in London today, if you picked up George's Evening Standard, not only did it take the piss out of May over several pages, it taunted her with the popularity of Corbyn.

Corbyn knows he has no 'real' responsibility but has apparently found his campaigning voice and hit his stride. A bit late to end up with real responsibilty and real pressure. All in all, it's worked out well for him.

Plus, let's not forget, as recently proven, the electorate punish those that call unnecessary elections.

170418115826-brenda-from-bristol-large-1

Just ask Brenda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Not seen it yet but catching up on the days news now I'm struck by his line of attack regarding "this is a government without a majority and without a mandate "

what would that make the election "winner " who got 60 seats less who desperately seeks power ?

If the tories lost a vote of confidence tomorrow and Corbyn became PM , would you be happy in all seriousness ? He'd be more of a lame duck than May wouldn't he ? 

Doesn't everyone desperately seek power? Why is Corbyn any more desperate?

I'd be ecstatic. He will be PM at some point and he's shown he's well suited to it, looking every bit the real deal.

58 minutes ago, Risso said:

What do you expect from thst utter, utter, utter moron Owen Jones.  The bloke makes me want to puke.

Owen Jones is ace. I'm a big fan. He's played a huge part in the Labour surge and always campaigns for social justice.

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

And even through other massive mistakes across the board, the answer is Abbott.

If the interview today was Abbott, this thread would have been resurrected quite quickly, instead of a few hours later (I did wait to see)

Just like those rushing when may cocka things up. Both may and abbott dearve critism as both are hopeless at what they do. Has absokuteky nothing to do with abbotts skin colour 

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That's slightly different. May is the PM.

Doesnt change the fact though that they aRe both hopeless politicians. May was also a hopeless home secretary

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Doesnt change the fact though that they aRe both hopeless politicians. May was so a hopeless home secretary

It doesn't affect how hopeless they are but the hopelessness of May has more effect upon all of us than the hopelessness of Abbott.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Doesnt change the fact though that they aRe both hopeless politicians. May was so a hopeless home secretary

As I said, others - Farron, Hammond, Boris, get a much easier ride compared to Abbott. There are many really crap MPs, a lot don't get the stick Abbott does. 

But we are both entitled to a difference of opinion.

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Not seen it yet but catching up on the days news now I'm struck by his line of attack regarding "this is a government without a majority and without a mandate "

what would that make the election "winner " who got 60 seats less who desperately seeks power ?

If the tories lost a vote of confidence tomorrow and Corbyn became PM , would you be happy in all seriousness ? He'd be more of a lame duck than May wouldn't he ? 

I think it is all about perception at the moment, in fact isn’t that what politics is always about, and as things stand the positive momentum is with Labour. They are the ones who gained seats, they are the ones whose policies have/are resonating with people and whose leader is looking confident and assured. Whereas the Tories are backtracking, are scraping policies and adopting others and whose leader is weak and a dead woman walking.

I think if the Tories lost a vote of confidence tomorrow then there would need to be another election and, although you can predict nothing with anything like certainty these days, I’d predict a Labour majority.

It is amazing the turnaround in such a short time as we now have a weak government and a strong opposition whereas the opposite was expected.

• Like 1

I wouldn't if we had enough election now it would be another hung parliament. or a small Tory majority. Last thing we need is another election though., Its the responsibility of the  mps to make a go of it and make compromises and get the brexit thing done. 

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I wouldn't if we had enough election now it would be another hung parliament. or a small Tory majority. Last thing we need is another election though., Its the responsibility of the  mps to make a go of it and make compromises and get the brexit thing done. 

After the way may has handled the tower block fire, it would be a corbyn landslide

Â