General Election 2017

ender4

1 minute ago, PompeyVillan said:

Why should this election be just about Brexit? I voted remain and I'm still smarting about the result. But Brexit is happening.

We can have another referendum on it, but it'll achieve nothing. It's not an issue that will ever go away. The anti immigration feeling is too strong, a 'soft' Brexit will never be accepted.

For me this should be less about what will happen in a Brexit negotiation, but more about a vision for the future of the country, with Brexit as a part of that.

We can leave the EU single market and still properly fund the NHS for example.

I largely agree. I certainly don't agree with it at all, but Brexit is done. I do think there's a small chance to influence what shape it ultimately takes (we don't have to end up with WTO rules for instance, despite what some particular lunatics might want) which should be a consideration in this election.

But yes it shouldn't be totally a Brexit election, there's a great many other issues that should be Yahweh into account. But it'll heavily be about Brexit again anyway.

Although frankly Theresa May could walk around for the next 2 months going 'Lol' and spitting in people's faces (literally. We know she'll do it metaphorically) and waltz to an increased majority, so what the campaign's contentious details end up being is completely irrelevant.

40 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Although frankly Theresa May could walk around for the next 2 months going 'Lol' and spitting in people's faces (literally. We know she'll do it metaphorically) and waltz to an increased majority, so what the campaign's contentious details end up being is completely irrelevant.

I think you'll be surprised. I wouldn't believe polls when politics is in such flux. The anti-Tory movement is growing and there's only one realistic alternative. Corbyn will be the next PM. Mark my words.

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I think you'll be surprised. I wouldn't believe polls when politics is in such flux. The anti-Tory movement is growing and there's only one realistic alternative. Corbyn will be the next PM. Mark my words.

You're going to be disappointed, I'm sorry to say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Could be some sort of Designated Survivor scenario where Jeremy and Diane go for a quickie in a closet while ISIS blow up the rest of parliament.

I daresay you'd get better odds than him being PM on June 9th any other way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, darrenm said:

5/10

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I didn't have you down as a midweek drinker. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Hasn't Corbyn today confirmed he's against a second referendum and a Labour government (snigger) wouldn't offer one?

The only anti-Brexit 'major' party is the Lib Dems and they've got no chance of having any influence at all even if they have an absurdly, historically, good election.

The choice is basically Brexit chaos, Brexit words removed or forlorn hope. Or spoilt.

oh... I interpreted it as leaving the door open and having the option of seeing which way the wind is blowing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Could be some sort of Designated Survivor scenario where Jeremy and Diane go for a quickie in a closet while ISIS blow up the rest of parliament.

jebus.... NSA living in the US politics thread and now GHCQ swarming over this one!

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

The 13 sitting Labour MPs (so far) who are standing down don't seem share your confidence. 

#VoteFishFinger 

1 hour ago, Awol said:

You'd have to be a saint not to laugh. 

I appreciate you're being mischievous but Jeremy Corbyn hadn't actually said anything about his son, so for the moment file this under 'made news stuff'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I appreciate you're being mischievous but Jeremy Corbyn hadn't actually said anything about his son, so for the moment file this under 'made news stuff'.

Fair enough, I hadn't checked properly.

Edit: Steve Rotheram is standing down from his Liverpool Walton safe seat, apparently Corbyn the younger is looking to take over. 

Edited by Awol

11 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I think the question I'd ask to anyone disillusions by the current status quo, that they don't feel like voting, is are they happy with things as they are at the moment? If the answer is no, then vote out the current government. If you want to completely change the system, then get involved. Organise locally, pressure your local MP, even join a party. Make politics work for you.

I'm not really sure how "anyone but the Tories" is changing the system 

it's just another way of saying Vote labour whilst trying to appeal to would be Russell Brands

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not really sure how "anyone but the Tories" is changing the system 

it's just another way of saying Vote labour whilst trying to appeal to would be Russell Brands

Didn't mention the Tories. The same applies, if you don't like any government. I also didn't say "anyone but the Tories" would change the system.  

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Just now, dAVe80 said:

Didn't mention the Tories. The same applies, if you don't like any government. I also didn't say "anyone but the Tories" would change the system.  

you did say the current Government , which is the Tories :P

the theme from the labour supporters seems to be ABT , but I guess I have attributed that theme to something you didn't say  , sorry

44 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you did say the current Government , which is the Tories :P

the theme from the labour supporters seems to be ABT , but I guess I have attributed that theme to something you didn't say  , sorry

To be fair, I am quite happy to say anyone but the Tories, and I'll probably say it about 20 times today alone. ;)

Â