General Election 2017

ender4

You're going to get another 5 years of the Tories, and they'll be handed a golden ticket to rewrite legislation under the guise of Brexit, unfortunately.

I'm exceptionally cynical of 'Brexit was a protest vote'. That same vote will go Conservative more or less everywhere other than safe seats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

How did that work in France with the 75% tax rate ... Seem to recall it raised 500m , a fraction of what was projected  .... I believe parts of London did well out of though as loads of wealthy French people moved there .

again I read somewhere that when the top rate in the UK was reduced form 98% in the 70's to 40% , revenue received through tax rose around 37% as a result (from memory ,I'll have to try and dig the evidence out)

Rich people don't sit around waiting to be taxed  .. I guess you did say effectively , so I guess it depends on that definition

I'm not talking about raising any levels of tax, I'm just talking about collecting what is already due, but avoided.  If you want to talk about things becoming unsustainable, it is the concentration of wealth at the very top of society and how comparatively little that unfeasible wealth it taxed.  The world is getting richer, but as a community we can afford less.  The fight over the scraps under the table that pay for the NHS and all the public services is missing in my mind the bigger picture.  The NHS should be a non negotiable and our efforts should be to focus on how to ensure that everyone pays their share.  Saying it is hard to raise the money is not an answer it is a cop out.  We need to find the answer to that especially if the answer is anything like Trumpcare where being sick and poor is a death sentence.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Darren I meant I really DON'T like may!! Can't stand her and I dislike sturgeon more so you can imagine my opinion on her

Ohhh I did worry for your sanity!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

How many Lib Dems were aware of Thorpe's Homosexuality at the time , how open was he about it ? why did he pay off Scott when blackmailed  ..

I'm aware it was a time when homosexuality was not something to be open about  , so of course Thorpe hid it ... hence the eyes rolly thing when a Journalists uses it as an example of why the lib dems were ahead of the curve ...  from my limited knowledge on such matters that acclaim should go to Labours Colquhoun ..but I think she was actually outed (and deselected as result ) so maybe not

Fair enough. I'm no expert, it's a bit before my time. 

To be honest, I think that Shariatmadari article was really pretty good though. Maybe that line wasn't, but the overall gist was. 

30 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's said that a lot of people voted for Brexit as a protest vote, a vote for change, a vote for "hope" by people who feel they have none.

Yet the same people will mindlessly vote for the Tories, for more of the same. It's maddening how people can't see it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yet the same people will mindlessly vote for the Tories, for more of the same. It's maddening how people can't see it.

Hang on, people voting Tory is 'mindless' when the alternative on offer in Jeremy Corbyn is so obviously ridiculous? I understand that he has one or two fans on here but it's clear most people in the country view him as a joke - at best.

Given a reasonable alternative to the Tories people will take it, as the Blair years demonstrated conclusively.

Dont blame the public for being mindless when idiots in the Labour Party have appointed the biggest asshats they can find to lead them ever since. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's said that a lot of people voted for Brexit as a protest vote, a vote for change, a vote for "hope" by people who feel they have none.

Personally, I view a vote for a coalition to be in a very similar vain. I'm not sure another 5 years of Tories are good for anyone, so maybe we should protest vote and just hope we get something better? :P

Many did, and it was the most misguided vote of all time because I bet the Tories were the source of most of their misery.

Of course, these same people are now going to go and vote Conservative.  It would be funny if not so tragic.

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not so sure. Three members of my family voted Brexit but won't vote Tory.

You never know .

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

Hang on, people voting Tory is 'mindless' when the alternative on offer in Jeremy Corbyn is so obviously ridiculous? I understand that he has one or two fans on here but it's clear most people in the country view him as a joke - at best.

Given a reasonable alternative to the Tories people will take it, as the Blair years demonstrated conclusively.

Dont blame the public for being mindless when idiots in the Labour Party have appointed the biggest asshats they can find to lead them ever since. 

I think you've missed my point.

I meant in the sense that people voted for Brexit as a change to the status quo, yet will vote for the Tories who ARE the status quo.

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Carswell not going to stand this time around - for the Tories, UKIP or even himself.

If only there were a tall tree in a thunderstorm or a spot under some rickety masonry where he could stand.

The tosser.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I meant in the sense that people voted for Brexit as a change to the status quo, yet will vote for the Tories who ARE the status quo.

I did miss your point, but it doesn't make much sense.

The lib dems oppose the change Brexit voters went for, Corbyn now refusing to rule out a 2nd referendum, Greens anti-Brexit, SNP massive Remainers...

Of course people who want Brexit completed are going to vote Tory, that's May's whole strategy.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Dem you are falling for the same kind of bullshit that Cameron spouted in 2015 when he said vote Milliband get the SNP.

One thing is for sure here you vote Tory you are getting another five years of what has gone on over the last 7 years and some.

Take your chances with something else including a coalition of Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and SNP.

Not at all mark. I just see it for myself the way she talks. She always says "Scotland's interests" not the UKs. Furthermore she is anti UK look how much she wants independce. I've never seen a Scottish minister so anti UK.

I don't want her anywhere near my government making decisions on my behalf

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

But then who do you vote for Stefan? Awol has made a valid poubt if the labour party was not such a laughing stock maybe people would not vote Tories. You should be angry at the labour party not people voting conservative.

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Of course people who want Brexit completed are going to vote Tory..

I rather suspect it's not as simple as that.

There are parts of the North in particular (and maybe elsewhere) where voting tory, no matter what people's views on Brexiting is just not going to happen. Some Brexity people will vote UKIP, some (quite a lot) will stay at home, some will vote Labour....

No doubt the brexit is the biggest "thing" in the Gen Election, but there are other things, and some will crop up in the next few weeks.

FUrther, there are a number of regretters - people who voted Brexit thinking the NHS would get 350 million quid a week, or we'd stop the immigrants and all that stuff. But those promises and "hints" are not going to actually happen, and some people will therefore be angry.

It's true also that remain told some whoppers - but remainers are less likely to be angry that a bad thing didn't (yet) happen, than a leaver that a good promised thing hasn't (yet) happened.

You're probably right that the Leave stance will gain the tories some votes, but we've also seen that it can lose them votes - particularly in the South, to the Lib Dems

• Like 3

Â