General Election 2017

ender4

6 hours ago, Awol said:

Fair enough, I hadn't checked properly.

Edit: Steve Rotheram is standing down from his Liverpool Walton safe seat, apparently Corbyn the younger is looking to take over. 

In fairness mate does it matter. A son/daughter influenced by their mother/father/sibling and pursuing a similar path is hardly news is it and if I listed the amount of political families over the years I’d be here all day.

This is the trouble with any election is that they get bogged down with such trivial crap and let those in power off the hook by doing so. We have disabled people killing themselves after losing their benefits, we have homeless people dying on the streets, we have millions of children living in poverty, we have over a million people reliant on food banks, we have record waiting times in A and E and people kept on trollies in corridors for hours, we have elderly and frail people being left abandoned in their homes or needlessly taking up a hospital bed as the social care system has been decimated due to being starved of funding. I could go on and on yet much of the media hasn’t mentioned any of it and you come into a thread like this and go on social media  and we are talking about meaningless crap such as a rumour that Jeremy Corbyns son my well be following in his father’s footsteps. We have gone seriously wrong somewhere haven’t we and have our priorities as to what matters mixed up.

No bigger example of getting your priorities wrong than having an election focused on Brexit. Basically re running a referendum that took place a year ago. One where by the result has been acted upon and sailed through parliament with the triggering of article 50. Yet the government have chosen to make it the main focus of the election. I wonder why? I wonder why they don’t want to talk about the NHS, about housing, about social care, the decimation of public services, about disabled people having their benefits taken from them, about the bedroom tax, about the rape clause, about the stagnation of peoples wages, about the amount of people on zero hours contracts, about the working poor, about homeless people, about children living in poverty…... I wonder why they are happy to turn a blind eye to the rhetoric that many believe that all their woes will be cured once we have come out of Europe and we can stop Johnny Foreigner coming over here.

It is all bullshit and we are all guilty when we stand for it. The Tories got away with murder, literally in the case of those who have taken their own lives due to benefit cuts, over the last 7 years hiding behind the deficit for making the ideological cuts they have. They will now hide behind Brexit to continue along the same path, and more as they will be able to erode workers’ rights this time, and many of us are blindly walking into it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

behind the deficit for making the ideological cuts they have.

at the risk of an Ahh but , didn't  Miliband and Balls confirm that a future Labour government would work within the spending framework laid down by Osborne, and would not seek to reverse any of the welfare cuts imposed by the coalition.

if it's ideological , then it seems had Milliband not clutched defeat from the jaws of victory we'd now be having these ideological Labour cuts

that doesn't make it right , but it does sorta invalidate your ideological argument imo

33 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In fairness mate does it matter. A son/daughter influenced by their mother/father/sibling and pursuing a similar path is hardly news is it and if I listed the amount of political families over the years I’d be here all day.

This is the trouble with any election is that they get bogged down with such trivial crap and let those in power off the hook by doing so. We have disabled people killing themselves after losing their benefits, we have homeless people dying on the streets, we have millions of children living in poverty, we have over a million people reliant on food banks, we have record waiting times in A and E and people kept on trollies in corridors for hours, we have elderly and frail people being left abandoned in their homes or needlessly taking up a hospital bed as the social care system has been decimated due to being starved of funding. I could go on and on yet much of the media hasn’t mentioned any of it and you come into a thread like this and go on social media  and we are talking about meaningless crap such as a rumour that Jeremy Corbyns son my well be following in his father’s footsteps. We have gone seriously wrong somewhere haven’t we and have our priorities as to what matters mixed up.

No bigger example of getting your priorities wrong than having an election focused on Brexit. Basically re running a referendum that took place a year ago. One where by the result has been acted upon and sailed through parliament with the triggering of article 50. Yet the government have chosen to make it the main focus of the election. I wonder why? I wonder why they don’t want to talk about the NHS, about housing, about social care, the decimation of public services, about disabled people having their benefits taken from them, about the bedroom tax, about the rape clause, about the stagnation of peoples wages, about the amount of people on zero hours contracts, about the working poor, about homeless people, about children living in poverty…... I wonder why they are happy to turn a blind eye to the rhetoric that many believe that all their woes will be cured once we have come out of Europe and we can stop Johnny Foreigner coming over here.

It is all bullshit and we are all guilty when we stand for it. The Tories got away with murder, literally in the case of those who have taken their own lives due to benefit cuts, over the last 7 years hiding behind the deficit for making the ideological cuts they have. They will now hide behind Brexit to continue along the same path, and more as they will be able to erode workers’ rights this time, and many of us are blindly walking into it.

I was just having a bit of fun at Corbyn's expense, not making a serious point.

• Like 1

Id argue that the austerity line and scorn thrown at Labour's presiding over the crash meant it would be suicidal to do anything else at the time.

Which still doesn't show Labour in a good light, because they'd basically be taking the Tory line to save themselves regardless of their actual thoughts, but wouldn't prevent it being ideological. It was just an ideological line so prevalent and so ingrained at that point they were **** to go against it, even if that was right.

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

at the risk of an Ahh but , didn't  Miliband and Balls confirm that a future Labour government would work within the spending framework laid down by Osborne, and would not seek to reverse any of the welfare cuts imposed by the coalition.

if it's ideological , then it seems had Milliband not clutched defeat from the jaws of victory we'd now be having these ideological Labour cuts

that doesn't make it right , but it does sorta invalidate your ideological argument imo

It is not a Labour ideology is it to reduce the size of the state. It is though certainly a Tory one. Tories have always been in favour of privatisation over nationalisation. That is not to say that Labour haven’t privatised things of course certainly under Blair. I wouldn’t say it is in Labours DNA where as it is most certainly in the Tories.

The economy could have been booming. We could have been running a surplus and the Tories would still have wanted to do exactly what they did over the last 7 years. They would though of course have struggled to justify it but they have most certainly used the deficit as a means to hide behind to inflict the kind of cuts they relish. All of course at the same time as increasing national debt. Austerity hasn’t worked.

They will now use Brexit as an excuse to continue to make cuts and use it as a means to erode workers right. They must feel all their Christmas’s have come at once.

Edited by markavfc40

I was disappointed not to find a Yes I agree with Fracking but only in the North of England option ... how can it be a fair test if you remove a key Tory policy ?

• Like 2

World's eight richest people have same wealth as poorest 50%

The Oxfam report added that since 2015 the richest 1% has owned more wealth than the rest of the planet. It said that over the next 20 years, 500 people will hand over $2.1tn to their heirs – a sum larger than the annual GDP of India, a country with 1.3 billion people. Between 1988 and 2011 the incomes of the poorest 10% increased by just $65, while the incomes of the richest 1% grew by $11,800 – 182 times as much.

https://tinyurl.com/h23y48k

Who can I vote for that is willing to do anything about this?  I think the Greens are the only one who have it as a part of their manifesto.  It is the biggest issue facing the world IMO.  As the article says, it is not a rule of capitalism that the rich must forever get richer at the expense of the poor, it is a policy decision.  The problem is that the policy is being set by people who are too easily influenced by the very wealthy or indeed are already a part of that very exclusive set.  I'm no revolutionary, I don't want to take all their money or anything like that, but wanting to restrain and reverse this growth in inequality has to be a sensible position doesn't it?  It is a global problem, but it is having very local impact.  I've said it before, the money to end austerity is out there.  Do you think those top 8 guys would notice a difference in their quality of life if they paid 10% more tax?

Just now, Davkaus said:

49% UKIP and 48% Green.... You're a complex man @tonyh29 

I suspect it was being against Fracking and Nuclear that skewed the Green %

tbh other than Brexit I'm not entirely sure what I agree with UKIP on as I don't' actually know what other policies they have ( probably like most of us ?)  ... I was tempted to say Yes assassinate terrorists overseas but the liberal side got the better of me and I decided against it (whose policy is that anyway  ? )

Just now, Straggler said:

https://tinyurl.com/h23y48k

Who can I vote for that is willing to do anything about this?  I think the Greens are the only one who have it as a part of their manifesto.  It is the biggest issue facing the world IMO.  As the article says, it is not a rule of capitalism that the rich must forever get richer at the expense of the poor, it is a policy decision.  The problem is that the policy is being set by people who are too easily influenced by the very wealthy or indeed are already a part of that very exclusive set.  I'm no revolutionary, I don't want to take all their money or anything like that, but wanting to restrain and reverse this growth in inequality has to be a sensible position doesn't it?  It is a global problem, but it is having very local impact.  I've said it before, the money to end austerity is out there.  Do you think those top 8 guys would notice a difference in their quality of life if they paid 10% more tax?

as none of them live in the UK I don't think the Greens can do anything about it ?

tbh I agree with you though , I'm all for getting wealthy , but a few million will do me thank you very much , these people that have accumulated Billions should out of common decency or even a shred of morals , give 90% of their wealth away

I Side With is a US based quiz and the questions all skew towards US positions. They seem to have fudged it into fitting UK parties and added a few UK relevant questions, but I'm not convinced it's that accurate.

I got 80% Labour on it yesterday but I certainly don't think I'm that close to them. But then the questions rarely gave an option that matched my actual position so it's never going to be that accurate.

BTW - apparently this is me.  Bit upset to see that much BNP in there.  Looks like I have to head off to Scotland and get on that independence vote.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Straggler
no pic

Â