Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

What amazes me is the throw away comments about wasting their troops.  These are real people, a generation of their young men.  UK media would be taken to pieces if they talked about it in such a flippant way.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What amazes me is the throw away comments about wasting their troops.  These are real people, a generation of their young men.  UK media would be taken to pieces if they talked about it in such a flippant way.

And then further down the line saying that they care about their soldiers which is the reason for the delay in an offensive.

They haven't delayed throwing soldiers into the mix since this started. Literally grabbing anybody and everybody to throw at Ukraine. They're only backtracking because they're forces are exhausted and battered. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I heard in another conversation that this would be the next point of attack after north Kherson is taken. From there they'll look to take Nova Kakhovka and encircle Russians on that side of the Inhulets river.

With all the bridges across the Dneiper blown Russian's must be panicking now, knowing that retreating is going to be seriously difficult, especially with temperatures starting to plummet. 

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've been surprised at how frank and negative Russian state TV has been allowed to be about their military reverses. 

But then a horrible thought struck me. Could it be conditioning people into a paranoid defensive mindset? The evil west is ganging up on us, and invading our Holy Russia. We have no choice now but to use nukes... 

Nukes are still out of the question. Most of Russia's 'tactical' (I call them tactical even though they're bigger than Hiroshima\Nagasaki) are located behind the Ural mountains and need to be transported for several days before they're within range of Ukraine. If China\USA ever sees these warheads on the move I'm sure the pressure will ramp up massively from the two only superpowers in the world. In reality I presume patriot systems would be deployed to all parts of Ukraine to shoot down the nukes before impact.

Russia won't deploy interconti missiles for this task as they're reserved for defense against USA and NATO.

It's essentially the same situation that we had in the cuban missile crisis, where this was stopped due to the US being able to track the movement of the weapons.

Not seen this anywhere but as Putrid get further backed into a corner I am sure he will be tempted in letting off one of his nukes...

The problem then becomes who does the world respond to this?

1. Hand wringing, lighting candles and having a vigil for those killed? (Putrid doesn't care, it will stop the Ukraine advance in its tracks) 

2. Like for like then watch the escalation (at least I won't have to see any of Gerrards Villa play anymore so that could be a bit of a bonus!)

My feeling is that option 1 will happen, lots of wailing and politicians hot air but the whole world will then become a lot nearer WW 3 as every tin pot dictatorship will not be afraid of setting one off without retaliation...

Derek

Just now, delboy54 said:

Not seen this anywhere but as Putrid get further backed into a corner I am sure he will be tempted in letting off one of his nukes...

1. Hand wringing, lighting candles and having a vigil for those killed? (Putrid doesn't care, it will stop the Ukraine advance in its tracks) 

2. Like for like then watch the escalation (at least I won't have to see any of Gerrards Villa play anymore so that could be a bit of a bonus!)

My feeling is that option 1 will happen, lots of wailing and politicians hot air but the whole world will then become a lot nearer WW 3 as every tin pot dictatorship will not be afraid of setting one off without retaliation...

Derek

The US has already confirmed that it will mean a massive conventional response from NATO, including wiping out every Russian soldier in Ukraine, the sinking of the black sea fleet and a massive staging on the border of Russia.

Poland and the other ex-Soviet NATO republics would likely instantly send their QRB forces to reinforce Ukraine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Derek

You're exactly where the powers that be want you. Fretting.  

I would say at this moment in time, continue being depressed about Gerrard because you ain't getting out of it by getting blown up any time soon. I'd check the gas in the oven hasn't been left on though. You know what Rodney is like.  

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I've been surprised at how frank and negative Russian state TV has been allowed to be about their military reverses. 

But then a horrible thought struck me. Could it be conditioning people into a paranoid defensive mindset? The evil west is ganging up on us, and invading our Holy Russia. We have no choice now but to use nukes... 

It’s about selling to the population the need to call up draftees. 

If Russia did plan on using nuclear weapons they would not talk about it or try and justify it. And if they did actually launch they would deny it was them claiming it was the US. Similar to their MO on chemical weapons in Syria. 

Apparently Russia has agreed a gas sale to Hungary on a buy now / pay later discount terms.

Russia is slowly running out of money or wouldn't be trying to offload the gas on the cheap on the never never.  

Hungary has interest rates at around 13% at the moment.

The gas needs to move now it seems.

16 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Apparently Russia has agreed a gas sale to Hungary on a buy now / pay later discount terms.

Russia is slowly running out of money or wouldn't be trying to offload the gas on the cheap on the never never.  

Hungary has interest rates at around 13% at the moment.

The gas needs to move now it seems.

As I understand it they have to burn off the gas now as they can't send it to Europe, its not possible store it or stop pumping it out of the ground. So near the border with Finland Russia is burning $30m a day of gas in a big fire. My guess is they are basically giving the gas to Hungary for free because 1. they have to send it somewhere or else burn it and 2. to try to get favours from Orban. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Putin says situation in annexed regions will be stabilised

Putin, speaking at an award ceremony for teachers, also said he had great respect for the Ukrainian people.

“We always, and even today despite the current tragedy, hold great respect for the Ukrainian people, Ukrainian culture, language, literature and so on,” he said.

Â