• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

24 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I'm wondering when 'we' in the West are going to start looking into the networks that have peddled Putin's propaganda for so long. Surely there's a major spring cleaning coming up? 

Off the top of my head, you can probably name almost every right wing populist party in Europe who have in some way or shape received funds from the Putin regime to try to alter democratic policy.

AfD, UKIP, Front National, various Italian parties, Fidesz, Party for Freedom, the list goes on. Then there are the 'figure heads' of the movement, people like George Galloway in the UK, Tucker Carlson, Trump, Cawthorn and Greene in the US, Carl Ivar Hagen in Norway, Gerhard Schröder in Germany.. The list goes on. Surely these people need to be named and shamed out of any future position of power? How do you turn around the trend of the large mass of brainwashed uneducated European\American believing in everything these people spout just to be a contrarian?

You forgot to add Boris and the Conservative party.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I'm wondering when 'we' in the West are going to start looking into the networks that have peddled Putin's propaganda for so long. Surely there's a major spring cleaning coming up? 

Off the top of my head, you can probably name almost every right wing populist party in Europe who have in some way or shape received funds from the Putin regime to try to alter democratic policy.

AfD, UKIP, Front National, various Italian parties, Fidesz, Party for Freedom, the list goes on. Then there are the 'figure heads' of the movement, people like George Galloway in the UK, Tucker Carlson, Trump, Cawthorn and Greene in the US, Carl Ivar Hagen in Norway, Gerhard Schröder in Germany.. The list goes on. Surely these people need to be named and shamed out of any future position of power? How do you turn around the trend of the large mass of brainwashed uneducated European\American believing in everything these people spout just to be a contrarian?

Yes, but if you think that most or all of that would stop if Russia collapses then I think you’re going to be disappointed - Tucker Carlson gets paid far more by Fox than Russia could ever possibly pay him.

There’s a massive audience for his views, and seeing Putin as the puppet master behind all the ills in Western democracy is overstating his relevance and understating our own problems.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Completely agree, I said similar a couple of weeks ago in this thread and lets not just limit it to the right wing parties, there's plenty on the left suspected of similar funding and influence

Perfectly agree, I forgot to add especially the outer left parties in Denmark\Norway\Sweden and Germany. Then there's 'organisations' like Stop the War and whatever other nonsense has been used by certain people to infiltrate the main parties of our democracy.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If UK get over the river and move down?

There will be no getting over the Dnipro. Ukraine will need to push South to Melitopol on another front then West from there because all the bridges are out across the DNipro. Also the Left bank of the Dnipro isn't heavily populated with Russians because of the River and it effectively being a Non-front.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yes, but if you think that most or all of that would stop if Russia collapses then I think you’re going to be disappointed - Tucker Carlson gets paid far more by Fox than Russia could ever possibly pay him.

There’s a massive audience for his views, and seeing Putin as the puppet master behind all the ills in Western democracy is overstating his relevance and understating our own problems.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that there needs to be an acknowledgment that many of these people have received funds  and/or influence from Russia, and that maybe that isn't a good thing for our way of life. Tucker Carlson is like a sail, he'll change direction as soon as this tin pot dictator is done, over to the next subject, be that Trump, vaccines, foreingers, the wall, peado-cabals eating babies, 'omg look at all the political correctnes in Washington!!1' and so on. The dangerous people on my list are people like Gert Wilders, Marine Le Pen, Schröder, Orban, Janukovic and so on.. They have power within reach and have absolutely no issues with being open Putin-fans.

• Like 2

I think people underestimate just how powerful social media signal boosting can be. I'm convinced that various movements on the anti-EU right and anti-US left have been signal boosted by foreign state actors in ways that have created all kinds of unexpected effects and feedback loops.

So many figures who should have been relatively obscure who somehow shot to fame as digital influencers, and then that enabled them to get TV coverage, newspaper columns, etc. Social media algorithms are so easy to game (and were even easier in the early days when the influence of Facebook, Twitter, etc. maybe wasn't fully appreciated).

FWIW I imagine the US / NATO have been doing the same thing in other settings, but the Russians seemed the most keen on just promoting anyone disruptive and destructive with no particular end goal in mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Russia will have a pause I suspect,  their troops are allready freezing at night on the intercepted calls and there are no winter coats available.  Ukraine will have the best stuff I guess from UK / US.  Do the drones have thermal,  if so the Russians are finished anyway when it gets cold.  No fires,  no going out of a trench as they will stand out for miles and miles.  Enjoy.

If all the Russian Orcs froze to death over one weekend,  that would be funny as ****.    

The Russians are now playing the role of WWII eastern front Germans (or Napoleon's lot). Of all armies to screw up a winter war... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If UK get over the river and move down?

I think Nova Kakhova and control of the Dam has to be the main objective initially. Then the 50km advance on Kherson City from several directions. Crossing the Inhulets River is also going to be a task but I think an eastern push will happen then. 

image.png.a99c2f0b0b9c3b3be4563aebfe07c6e5.png

I still have this niggling feeling that Russia will blow the Dam at some point. I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

Interesting article and breakdown of not just the last few days in the Kherson region but also logistics and tactics being deployed. 

I have extracted a couple of paragraphs on the action the last couple of days but the whole article can be found in the link if anyone is interested. 

Ukraine War, 4 October 2022: Kherson | by Tom Cooper | Oct, 2022 | Medium

Action

On Sunday, 2 October, the Initial, multi-prong assault quickly collapsed positions of the 205th Cossack in Myroliubivka and Ljubymivka, causing its survivors to flee (reportedly: all the way to Beryslav, some 80km further south). This exposed the strongholds in Khreshchenivka and Zolota Balka: the 83rd VDV was meanwhile knocked out by a hit on its headquarters (causing at least the death of its deputy commander) and its survivors prompted into a quick withdrawal in direction of Dubchany.

The Russians ‘regrouped’ from Mykhailivka by Monday, 3 October, morning. When the VKS attempted to intervene, it quickly lost a Su-25, somewhere in the Novovoskresenske area.

By the time, the ‘regrouping’ turned into a rout, with the Russians abandoning Ukrainka and Bilvaivka, and fleeing south: as of yesterday, Ukrainians have liberated Novooleksandrivka, Havrylivka, and the Russians — after blowing up the local bridge on the T0403 road — abandoned even Dubchany, prending ‘complete and successful regrouping in Beryslav’.

Further east, as a sign of its goodwill, and in confirmation of Shoygu’s statement that everything is going along the plan, the VDV regrouped from Arhanhelske and Myrolyubivka.

The 35th Naval Infantry seems to have had a had a bad start when one of its columns was pinned down by the Russian artillery, and lost a number of vehicles (this video is played up and down the Russian social media for at least three days now). However, eventually, it came through and seems to have liberated Davydiv Brid, capturing a few Separatists.

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

They can't they'd f*** the canal to Crimea

Do you think they honestly care?! I think they'd do it blaming Ukraine. Like I said I hope not but they're being humiliated so I wouldn't count it out at some point. Always expect the unexpected.

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Do you think they honestly care?! I think they'd do it blaming Ukraine. Like I said I hope not but they're being humiliated so I wouldn't count it out at some point. Always expect the unexpected.

In this instance yes, one of the first things Russia did was unblock the canal, its that important to Crimea and they at this stage will still hope to keep Crimea

56 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Interesting article and breakdown of not just the last few days in the Kherson region but also logistics and tactics being deployed. 

I have extracted a couple of paragraphs on the action the last couple of days but the whole article can be found in the link if anyone is interested. 

Ukraine War, 4 October 2022: Kherson | by Tom Cooper | Oct, 2022 | Medium

Action

On Sunday, 2 October, the Initial, multi-prong assault quickly collapsed positions of the 205th Cossack in Myroliubivka and Ljubymivka, causing its survivors to flee (reportedly: all the way to Beryslav, some 80km further south). This exposed the strongholds in Khreshchenivka and Zolota Balka: the 83rd VDV was meanwhile knocked out by a hit on its headquarters (causing at least the death of its deputy commander) and its survivors prompted into a quick withdrawal in direction of Dubchany.

The Russians ‘regrouped’ from Mykhailivka by Monday, 3 October, morning. When the VKS attempted to intervene, it quickly lost a Su-25, somewhere in the Novovoskresenske area.

By the time, the ‘regrouping’ turned into a rout, with the Russians abandoning Ukrainka and Bilvaivka, and fleeing south: as of yesterday, Ukrainians have liberated Novooleksandrivka, Havrylivka, and the Russians — after blowing up the local bridge on the T0403 road — abandoned even Dubchany, prending ‘complete and successful regrouping in Beryslav’.

Further east, as a sign of its goodwill, and in confirmation of Shoygu’s statement that everything is going along the plan, the VDV regrouped from Arhanhelske and Myrolyubivka.

The 35th Naval Infantry seems to have had a had a bad start when one of its columns was pinned down by the Russian artillery, and lost a number of vehicles (this video is played up and down the Russian social media for at least three days now). However, eventually, it came through and seems to have liberated Davydiv Brid, capturing a few Separatists.

When I was a young man about town I used to use Cossack hairspray. Absolutely NOTHING could collapse that. 

• Haha 1

Â