Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

In turn they are moving that quick Russians aren't having enough time to create new defence lines strong enough to withstand attacks.

Has this ever worked in a war theatre,  running away,  make a defensive line,  run away an so on, make a defensive line? 

Diminishing troops and materials at every stop or they wouldn't retreat.  The Russian orcs play war like some early AI in the Civilization games.

• Like 1

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

14 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I suspect Ukraine will have a tactical pause at some point,  rest and re-supply.  

If they've prepped his right and the northern advance can continue the advance, they'll keep going. Reinforcements from Russians over the Dneiper river won't be possible so Ukraine I would think will continue the press until they're stopped. 

They've only really broke through in the last 48hours so it's pretty early. They could advance for weeks yet before the need for an operational pause I would think. Don't forget everywhere they advance is home, unlike the Russians. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I suspect Ukraine will have a tactical pause at some point,  rest and re-supply.  

Not so sure. Ukraine's supply lines are good and the Russians keep gifting them ammo along their route :D . They are currently battling the approach of winter, there will be plenty of time for a pause then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Has this ever worked in a war theatre,  running away,  make a defensive line,  run away an so on, make a defensive line? 

Diminishing troops and materials at every stop or they wouldn't retreat.  The Russian orcs play war like some early AI in the Civilization games.

It really seems to be the case that if they can't just flatten vastly inferior forces with massive artillery fire, they just don't have a clue what to do. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

If they've prepped his right and the northern advance can continue the advance, they'll keep going. Reinforcements from Russians over the Dneiper river won't be possible so Ukraine I would think will continue the press until they're stopped. 

They've only really broke through in the last 48hours so it's pretty early. They could advance for weeks yet before the need for an operational pause I would think. Don't forget everywhere they advance is home, unlike the Russians. 

I suppose a proper army has groups that overlap so they spread the work / rest.

The Russian orcs seem to have a innovative tactic of running away to make themselves seem smaller to the enemy for a while.

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not so sure. Ukraine's supply lines are good and the Russians keep gifting them ammo along their route :D . They are currently battling the approach of winter, there will be plenty of time for a pause then

TBH I don't think winter will have the 'pause' effect that Russia seem to be hoping for. HIMARS targeting will be easier in winter as the Russians can't dig in and hide their vehicles under tree cover. In WW2 Russia and their Ukrainian battalions were at their most effective during the winter months as their relatively light tanks could get across the frozen ground. I wouldn't be surprised to see western AFV's (especially Swedish and British variants) do really well during winter too. It isn't mainly tanks that have led to Ukraine's successes, it's their mobile smaller vehicles. I'm not sure these will be as affected by winter as Russia's T-65's.

The 'slow' time should really be from now until end Nov when the ground is 3 meter deep mud.

Plus, Norway, Finland and Sweden have supplied vast amount of winter uniforms and kit to Ukraine, something which Russia seem to have 'lost' somewhere..

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

TBH I don't think winter will have the 'pause' effect that Russia seem to be hoping for.

Russia will have a pause I suspect,  their troops are allready freezing at night on the intercepted calls and there are no winter coats available.  Ukraine will have the best stuff I guess from UK / US.  Do the drones have thermal,  if so the Russians are finished anyway when it gets cold.  No fires,  no going out of a trench as they will stand out for miles and miles.  Enjoy.

If all the Russian Orcs froze to death over one weekend,  that would be funny as ****.    

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

TBH I don't think winter will have the 'pause' effect that Russia seem to be hoping for.

It'll have an effect on the Russians, they apparently don't have winter uniforms :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The Chinese in WW2 did employ this tactic against Japan. However it cost Chang Kai Check millions and millions of men, it did essentially eventually tire out Japan. Not that I think Russia will be able to do the same with the amount of long range western kit Ukraine has, but it has worked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

TBH Ukraine have played both sides brilliantly. They've been able to defend and exhaust Russian advances. Continually allowing them deeper into Ukraine earlier in the war to wear them down and are now doing the same in attack. I think their overall ability to be mobile is what is making the difference. Work in smaller independent and more mobile numbers. 

I have yet to see Ukrainians really get caught out in the open logistically or with any huge column getting smashed. No doubt they've incurred loses but I think tactically, adopting a western approach is paying dividends now they have the equipment to help them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Have to be said again. This thread is amazing. Shit subject but still.

I said that yesterday,  one of the best threads ever. 

No problems in thread and people are super interested and we all try and contribute.

At the start,  I thought the Russian Orcs might win in a few days.  I am so glad I was wrong.

• Like 2

I'm wondering when 'we' in the West are going to start looking into the networks that have peddled Putin's propaganda for so long. Surely there's a major spring cleaning coming up? 

Off the top of my head, you can probably name almost every right wing populist party in Europe who have in some way or shape received funds from the Putin regime to try to alter democratic policy.

AfD, UKIP, Front National, various Italian parties, Fidesz, Party for Freedom, the list goes on. Then there are the 'figure heads' of the movement, people like George Galloway in the UK, Tucker Carlson, Trump, Cawthorn and Greene in the US, Carl Ivar Hagen in Norway, Gerhard Schröder in Germany.. The list goes on. Surely these people need to be named and shamed out of any future position of power? How do you turn around the trend of the large mass of brainwashed uneducated European\American believing in everything these people spout just to be a contrarian?

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 3

Â