Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

This is a very interesting dynamic, and introduces scope for some direct covert ops under the banner of local partisan forces. 

That’s quite something 

• Like 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I must admit, I gave it a quick wiki google, just to make sure I was thinking of the correct war. Charge of the Light Brigade.

One of the best things I have heard about the Villa was from an Arsenal fan. I was in a pub in London and there was a group of guys talking about the best pre and post war players in teams. When they got to Villa one bloke said no chance here lads, to them pre war is Rorkes Drift and post war was the charge of the light brigade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Why is there never a fridge when you need one?

Tbf it might be more secure than his media suite at home.

A Russian-owned company played a key role in the £2.6m renovation of No.9 Downing Street in an undisclosed contract to get it ready for White House-style televised media briefings, a source has told HuffPost UK.

According to the source, Megahertz carried out crucial work, including installing computers, cameras, microphones and a control desk, to get the building ready for briefings from Boris Johnson’s press secretary Allegra Stratton.

In 2013, Megahertz was bought by the UK arm of Okno-TV – a Moscow-based firm that has carried out technical work for state-controlled broadcasters Russia Today, Channel One, and Public Television of Russia.

Most of Megahertz’s current shareholders are either current or former workers at the Russian firm, according to Companies House.

Huff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Going to start keeping a shitlist of prominent people who are demanding that we start a hot war with Russia by establishing a no-fly zone, so that I can summarily dismiss anything they ever have to say about anything ever again. So far I've got:

Tory - Tom Tugendhat (has now demanded it twice in the Commons!) / David Davis

Labour - Chris Bryant

Media - Dan Hodges

I welcome submissions from anyone who encounters examples in the wild, please let me know of any when you see them.

EDIT: This doesn't propose a no-fly zone, but does contain what I would guess is a thinly-disguised personal preference for a targeted bombing campaign, probably dumb enough for the list:

He's the chief Foreign Correspondent for NBC, if you were wondering.

Only No Fly zone that could even be potentially proposed is something like a xxx km from Nato borders of Poland, Hungary and Romania. Russia will probably stay away from Western Ukraine in general and focus Kyiv, the Black sea coast and east of the Dnieper river. 

18 minutes ago, Awol said:

I haven’t seen a breakdown of the full UK sanctions as they stand, but I thought they were systematically going through a list of oligarchs - with London law firms slowing progress by fighting rearguard actions for them? 

I know Shell has announced its following BP out of Russia, so from a UK side it looks like a totally coordinated takedown of the Russian banking system, vital economic sectors and high net worth individuals. 

The law firms thing has been explained away as nonsense by those who have worked in that arena. If the government seriously wanted to sanction them the law firms wouldn't be able to do much.

I mean, it's funny how the government are unable to override the "law" when it suits them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Tobias Elwood wanted to send a division of NATO troops, but has moderated himself slightly and now will settle for an air war with Russia. 

Tobias Elwood is thick as pig shit.

For so many of these Tory ex-military guys, their entire reason for getting into politics was lack of govt investment in their little corner of the military, and they never thought beyond that. Fair enough, we have massively under-invested in key areas of our military, but these Elwood types have never really considered what the purpose of the military is, what a holistic foreign & defence policy looks like, etc.

They also never seem to appreciate that unless we also cut NHS / pensions / etc spending, it will involve increasing taxes or increasing govt deficit, both of which run counter to Tory fiscal orthodoxy since Thatcher. So why are they members of the Tory party?

Clive Lewis, who shared BBC Politics lineup with Elwood yesterday seems much sounder. As much as I don't agree with him on a lot of domestic political questions, he seems pretty level headed on defence. He gets that it's important, but he also gets that it's not just about buying tanks and bombs, and he isn't in favour of inflammatory approaches, because he has bothered to think through the consequences.

Far too many politicians seem to enjoy the cheap buzz of "standing up to a bully" when all they're doing is running their mouths and putting billions of lives at risk. Hitler did not have intercontinental nuclear missiles... appeasement in the 1930s had different parameters from "appeasement" now in the 2020s.

Yes, we need to stand up to Putin. But there are ways we can do this. Personally I get the impression Biden is fairly sound on this, and thankfully he should be in power for the foreseeable future. Boris I think has fallen into line behind Biden. Ben Wallace has been excellent.

The big risk for me is forthcoming elections in NATO countries, where you could see candidates try to score points by escalating the rhetoric. French presidential election is the big one, but you also have Hungarian elections in March/April, and Swedish elections in September (not a Nato member, but will be on the table). This is where democracy can get dangerous, as election campaigns take on a life of their own, and long-term political concerns fly out the window.

Edited by KentVillan

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is she on a private jumbo jet again, does she use it for her her morning commute or something?!

Don’t be silly, she just needed to go get some more milk for the tea run.

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, sorry, Abramovich's children in London, it's the Netherlands that are looking after the Putins.

Back to Defcon One in Kensington.

Look up Putin's rise to power and see that it was Abramovic that introduced Putin to Yeltsin and started him on his rise to the top and it is Abramovic that funds Putin's election campaigns.

It may as well be Putin's kids in London

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why is she smiling?

She's just got really odd facial expressions

She'll find it almost impossible to have that British stiff upper lip due to her almost complete absence of an upper lip. Her mouth is very odd, it's almost impossible to listen to the words coming out of her mouth because my brain just keeps wondering where her lip is and why she talks out of the side of her mouth

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Not sure it counts exactly the same, but Ben Wallace, Secretary of State for Defence, said we’d kicked the Tsar’s butt in the 1850’s, and we’d do it again.

Talk about military types always fighting the last war!

I do remember that ridiculous bit of rhetoric.

However, I think it doesn't count; in his day job, he is currently saying 'absolutely no way' to a no-fly zone, so I can't include him.

While he may not be one, I have now managed to expand my list with a bit of brief searching to 6 Tories (Tom Tugendhat / David Davis / Tobias Ellwood / Stephen Hammond / Johnny Mercer / Iain Duncan Smith). Peter Bone repeatedly asked about it in the Commons in a way that suggested he probably supports it, but he didn't actually outright say so so I'm leaving him off for now. Can also add two Republicans, Representative Adam Kinzinger and Senaor Roger Wicker.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I do remember that ridiculous bit of rhetoric.

However, I think it doesn't count; in his day job, he is currently saying 'absolutely no way' to a no-fly zone, so I can't include him.

While he may not be one, I have now managed to expand my list with a bit of brief searching to 6 Tories (Tom Tugendhat / David Davis / Tobias Ellwood / Stephen Hammond / Johnny Mercer / Iain Duncan Smith). Peter Bone repeatedly asked about it in the Commons in a way that suggested he probably supports it, but he didn't actually outright say so so I'm leaving him off for now. Can also add two Republicans, Representative Adam Kinzinger and Senaor Roger Wicker.

I think with the exception of Stephen Hammond, these all have an army background?

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is she on a private jumbo jet again, does she use it for her her morning commute or something?!

Must be a post-Brexit thing, like when your relatives you know are skint start throwing money around and buying everyone drinks at the family party.

Â